The Official 2019 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Because Galvis has played on so many winning teams? A .280 career OBP guy is not part of a winning formula. I'd play VanMeter at short ahead of him in a heartbeat. I'd win more.
Wolves, you have to have a major league caliber player at shortstop from a defensive position. This isn't slow pitch softball. If that were the case, the Reds would put Suarez back at short and get Rendon to play 3rd. Remember that team in Michigan, the Detroit Tigers?? They tried this for years and years and years, they put a slow pitch softball team together based on offense and it got them no where.
I have no malice against VanMeter, I just don't believe he's a major league shortstop, and I'm not sure he even hits enough to play any position everyday. Heck, if you want offense just put Peraza at short, do you know he had 180 hits for us in 2018? He's got more on his resume than VanMeter

Wolves, you have to have a major league caliber player at shortstop from a defensive position. This isn't slow pitch softball. If that were the case, the Reds would put Suarez back at short and get Rendon to play 3rd. Remember that team in Michigan, the Detroit Tigers?? They tried this for years and years and years, they put a slow pitch softball team together based on offense and it got them no where.
I have no malice against VanMeter, I just don't believe he's a major league shortstop, and I'm not sure he even hits enough to play any position everyday. Heck, if you want offense just put Peraza at short, do you know he had 180 hits for us in 2018? He's got more on his resume than VanMeter
Galvis' last 3 seasons he has OPS between .680 and .734
For savings of $4M I'd bet VanMeter can give us that. If that savings means landing Grandal and Ozuna or JD Martinez I would definitely go with VanMeter.

Mike Moustakas would be a nice addition at 2B. He has played on back to back one year deals because he was unable to get an acceptable multiyear offer. He'll be 31 next season. 3yrs/$24M might be enticing to him. His last two deals (including his buyout) totaled $15.5M so $8M AAV would be right in line.
He'd make a very good upgrade at 2B and only $2.5M more than Galvis.

I realize am beating my head against a wall because you never get it. ..but... a player with average defense and above average offense WINS MORE than a player with great defense and below average offense. Every time. So why would you pay double for the great defense/bad offense (Galvis)????

Get it?

By the way "the comment "get Rendon to play 3rd" is hilarious. You realize he made $18M this year and may be top 3 in MVP this year? What on earth makes you think the Reds could get him?

Mike Moustakas would be a nice addition at 2B. He has played on back to back one year deals because he was unable to get an acceptable multiyear offer. He'll be 31 next season. 3yrs/$24M might be enticing to him. His last two deals (including his buyout) totaled $15.5M so $8M AAV would be right in line.
He'd make a very good upgrade at 2B and only $2.5M more than Galvis.
He’d be a nice addition. Surprised he’s only 31. Seems like he’s been playing forever.

Last edited:
I realize am beating my head against a wall because you never get it. ..but... a player with average defense and above average offense WINS MORE than a player with great defense and below average offense. Every time. So why would you pay double for the great defense/bad offense (Galvis)????

Get it?

By the way "the comment "get Rendon to play 3rd" is hilarious. You realize he made $18M this year and may be top 3 in MVP this year? What on earth makes you think the Reds could get him?
Yeah, no chance the Reds pursue Rendon.

Yeah, no chance the Reds pursue Rendon.
I was simply making a point to wolves that you can't put a lineup together based on offense. VanMeter isn't an option at shortstop, he's not good enough defensively to do that. It's why Suarez was moved to 3rd in the first place. He was a good, but no great 3rd baseman. If VanMeter's your option at short, you may as well put Suarez there and get Rendon to play 3rd. And no, we're not going to be able to afford Rendon. Simply using it as an example.

I was simply making a point to wolves that you can't put a lineup together based on offense. VanMeter isn't an option at shortstop, he's not good enough defensively to do that. It's why Suarez was moved to 3rd in the first place. He was a good, but no great 3rd baseman. If VanMeter's your option at short, you may as well put Suarez there and get Rendon to play 3rd. And no, we're not going to be able to afford Rendon. Simply using it as an example.
As I said, you don't get it. Go ahead and pay double (or more) for better defense (Galvis) and the offense will remain below average, and we win 75-80 games again next year. Awesome plan. Billy in center fits that plan too. We could maybe get a team OBP under .300 if we put you in charge.

Saw a report today that the Reds are looking at Marsell Ozuna from the Cardinals. He's a FA. Imagine a lineup with Suarez, Aquino and Ozuna in the middle of it.

Saw a report today that the Reds are looking at Marsell Ozuna from the Cardinals. He's a FA. Imagine a lineup with Suarez, Aquino and Ozuna in the middle of it.
I'd rather have Grandal. Ozuna will cost roughly the same as Grandal. Grandal is a better player and a much bigger upgrade.
The combo of Ervin and Winker in LF produced 1.9 WAR this season. Ozuna produced 2.2

By comparison Grandal was 1.9 WAR better than Barnhart.

Agree Grandal is the safer signing and would likely yield more in a position of desperate need of upgrade. But Ozuna’s ceiling is higher. Any thoughts that Ozuna can get back to his 2017 level?

Agree Grandal is the safer signing and would likely yield more in a position of desperate need of upgrade. But Ozuna’s ceiling is higher. Any thoughts that Ozuna can get back to his 2017 level?
Looking at his history, he had one outstanding year. The other 6 seasons he's been good but not elite. That would suggest that 2017 was an outlier that's not likely to be repeated. He hit .241 this season but his BABIP suggest a bit of bad luck. With a typical BABIP a .265 BA is about where he should be. That's also right in line with his historical numbers if you remove his worst and best year.

He's a good player, worth AAV of $15M probably. The reported 7 yrs/$170 should not be considered by any team especially the Reds. 3 yrs/$45M with a player opt out after year 1 for year 3 makes more sense for Cincy. If Ozuna thinks playing in GABP will get him back to elite levels and elite pay then that kind of a deal should be attractive to him.

The Reds are getting nearly the same level of production in LF currently for $1.2M and it gives them an opposite handed bench bat as well.
That money would be better spent elsewhere. The kind of money Ozuna is reportedly looking at would land JD Martinez who is much better.

I would think hitting in GABP would increase his numbers.

The Reds are getting nearly the same level of production in LF currently for $1.2M and it gives them an opposite handed bench bat as well.
That money would be better spent elsewhere. The kind of money Ozuna is reportedly looking at would land JD Martinez who is much better.

I’m not disagreeing, but if anyone had good reason to believe he could return to his 2017 form, he’d absolutely be worth looking at.

Ok Reds fans, are you watching the world series? And if so, are you pulling for either team? I'm going to hang with the national league, Go Nats!!!

Postseason baseball is very hard for me to watch for an extended period of time. Forget about the whole game, I can't hardly watch more than one inning!
The extra-long commercials between innings, not to mention the totally boring pitching changes, just sap the interest out of me.
Even though I've been a baseball fan my entire life, now I'm perfectly content to read about it in the paper or on the internet. I don't think I'm alone in that.

I've watched several innings but not entire games. Wish they would start and end earlier. I love great pitching so this Series interests me. Cole vs Scherzer, Verlander vs. Strasberg, Grienke vs. Corbin - wow. Don't really care who wins, but I find myself rooting for the Astros. I like several of their players. I might also add that Juan Soto is incredible for a 20 year old kid.

Good game one, I think the additional innings and appearances by Scherzer and Cole is catching up with them. Neither was sharp last night. Nats got a big win on the road vs. Cole. Soto is a stud as he had a homer and two run double off Cole.

Love post season baseball, you hang on every pitch. I do agree the games are way too long and again, this is a baseball problem. I was paying special attention to an at bat by Altuve in the 4th inning vs. Scherzer. It was literally 45 seconds to a minute between pitches. Baseball really needs to address this. The minor league pitch clock was what, 20 seconds? It was a 8-10 pitch at bat so Altuve's at bat lasted 5 minutes or more.
But it was a good game. Verlander/ Strasberg tonight.

And I'm just going to say this...if you have the means to be at a world series game, how in the world you have the audacity to boo the highest ranking official in your country is absolutely maddening. I was embarrassed for the Washington Nationals and their fan base last night. I would think you'd be more appreciative that you live in a country that allows you to have the best life possible.

And I'm just going to say this...if you have the means to be at a world series game, how in the world you have the audacity to boo the highest ranking official in your country is absolutely maddening. I was embarrassed for the Washington Nationals and their fan base last night. I would think you'd be more appreciative that you live in a country that allows you to have the best life possible.
Sounds like they don’t like Trump.