Western Buckeye League Prediction Contest & Discussion, Week 7

Nash

(3-3) Shawnee at O-G (5-1)
(1-5) Defiance at Celina (3-3)
(4-2) Kenton at Van Wert (3-3)
(0-6) Elida at St. Marys (4-2)
(5-1) Wapak at Bath (2-4)

No league leaders face each other this week. The most competitive game appears to be Kenton at Van Wert, which also has some big playoff implications. I'm not sure if Shawnee can still make it even if it wins out. The other 3 games should not be close.
Fairly easy week last week as only 4 out of 15 people missed more than one game, 1 person had a losing record. The consensus went 4-1 with Defiance being the only loser. O-G over Celina and Wapak over Elida were unanimous picks, with Van Wert being a possibly surprising 13-2 favorite over Shawnee. Defiance was picked 10 times to Bath's 5, and St. Marys was a slim 9-6 favorite over Kenton.
No change in the number of positions near the top, just a little swap of players.
Standings:
27-8 Shoeless Joe
27-8 StateChampion 2012
26-9 Beezer70
26-9 HighSchoolFB45
26-9 Union County Fan
25-10 buckeye1689
25-10 Cavman96
25-10 cknights
25-10 ex_dc_atc
25-10 Nash
25-10 tucson
24-11 CougarDad52
24-11 snoopdog3
21-14 LICKING COUNTY FAN

Others:
16-4 BlessEmAll
13-12 dhsdog06
11-4 Michael Hirn
5-5 adog

(3-3) Shawnee at O-G (5-1) - OG is on a collision course with the league title on the line for week 10. Shawnee has lot motivation for the season.
(1-5) Defiance at Celina (3-3) - Defiance keeps it close for a half then Celina pulls away late
(4-2) Kenton at Van Wert (3-3) - Van Wert needs this for playoffs. Kenton needs this for playoffs. Van Wert wants it more and wins by 2 scores
(0-6) Elida at St. Marys (4-2) - St. Mary’s names the score
(5-1) Wapak at Bath (2-4) - This game will be closer than most think. Bath’s defense is solid and will give Wapak fits.

(3-3) Shawnee at O-G (5-1) OG is playing lights out. They continue to roll and push for a WBL championship
(1-5) Defiance at Celina (3-3) Celina has played decent ball all year. Defiance will challenge them for no more than two quarters
(4-2) Kenton at Van Wert (3-3) Upset pick of the week. Van Wert is on the cusp of winning one of their close ones against the big boys of the WBL
(0-6) Elida at St. Marys (4-2) Enough said
(5-1) Wapak
at Bath (2-4) Bath plays hard. They just can't compete with the size and physicality of Wapak

(3-3) Shawnee at O-G (5-1) - The Titans are rolling.
(1-5) Defiance at Celina (3-3) - Defiance can't get out of their own way.
(4-2) Kenton at Van Wert (3-3) - It comes down to defense for the Cougs.
(0-6) Elida at St. Marys (4-2) - Too much vs too little
(5-1) Wapak at Bath (2-4) - Ditto

(3-3) Shawnee at O-G (5-1) OG is playing lights out. They continue to roll and push for a WBL championship
(1-5) Defiance at Celina (3-3) Celina has played decent ball all year. Defiance will challenge them for no more than two quarters
(4-2) Kenton at Van Wert (3-3) Upset pick of the week. Van Wert is on the cusp of winning one of their close ones against the big boys of the WBL
(0-6) Elida at St. Marys (4-2) Enough said
(5-1) Wapak
at Bath (2-4) Bath plays hard. They just can't compete with the size and physicality of Wapak

I think it’s funny how you say Bath can’t compete with the size that Wapak had because most years that is true, but this year Bath is HUGE. Not only on the line but skill positions also. Wapak is on the small size this year. They are more physical and athletic than usual but size is definitely one of the weaknesses.

I think it’s funny how you say Bath can’t compete with the size that Wapak had because most years that is true, but this year Bath is HUGE. Not only on the line but skill positions also. Wapak is on the small size this year. They are more physical and athletic than usual but size is definitely one of the weaknesses.
Wapak goes across their defensive/offensive line 212, 325, 310, 240, 250 with a couple of other mid 200 pounders in the mix from what I gather. Bath doesn't have anything close to that size. I'm not sure how Bath is huge according to the rosters I read......but I'll take your word for it. I've been able to see Wapak vs Van Wert tape. They are very big young men.

Wapak goes across their defensive/offensive line 212, 325, 310, 240, 250 with a couple of other mid 200 pounders in the mix from what I gather. Bath doesn't have anything close to that size. I'm not sure how Bath is huge according to the rosters I read......but I'll take your word for it. I've been able to see Wapak vs Van Wert tape. They are very big young men.
Most of the huge kids on the roster don’t even play, with a wing t it’s necessary to have linemen that can move and those big kids can’t. Three guys on the offensive line are no more than 210, one is 230 and the other is 240. Meeks is the starting DE and all-state caliber and he’s 200 soaking wet. The DT is over 300, but he’s an athletic 300.

Most of the huge kids on the roster don’t even play, with a wing t it’s necessary to have linemen that can move and those big kids can’t. Three guys on the offensive line are no more than 210, one is 230 and the other is 240. Meeks is the starting DE and all-state caliber and he’s 200 soaking wet. The DT is over 300, but he’s an athletic 300.
Okay. That's big to my standards and really the rest of the WBL for that matter. On tape, they looked very large. 300 NT is a big man. The running back is a well put together young man. Wapak is very very physical. What does Bath have that is big and strong? They are typically light. I seen their roster and size looks scarce. Anything knowledge of how they go across both sides of the line?

Both teams have some size but Wapak kids are not afraid to lay some lumber down no matter what size. Watching Wapak and St. Marys was one of the most hard hitting games I have seen. Between Kaeck and Riders #97 was like a chess game they lined him up all over the place. I feel Bath will play with us for awhile but will get worn down and then we will put the game away. Has anyone heard how Ambose is doing didnt look good Friday night when he came back out.

Both teams have some size but Wapak kids are not afraid to lay some lumber down no matter what size. Watching Wapak and St. Marys was one of the most hard hitting games I have seen. Between Kaeck and Riders #97 was like a chess game they lined him up all over the place. I feel Bath will play with us for awhile but will get worn down and then we will put the game away. Has anyone heard how Ambose is doing didnt look good Friday night when he came back out.

Ambos is out for the season with a broken collarbone

(4-2) Kenton
at Van Wert (3-3)
(5-1) Wapak
at Bath (2-4)

(4-2) Kenton
at Van Wert (3-3)
(5-1) Wapak
at Bath (2-4)

if van wert is going to beat kenton,they need to control the ball keep it out of kentons hand because in a shootout van wert will lose. remember last week kenton vs st marys kenton qb was 57-87 for 684 yards.kenton rushed for 17 yards rushing for total offense of 701 yards against st.marys.van wert cant have that!!! as far as shawnee vs o-g, this could be a trap game for them and shawnee could pull the upseteven though o-g has defiance the following week.

if van wert is going to beat kenton,they need to control the ball keep it out of kentons hand because in a shootout van wert will lose. remember last week kenton vs st marys kenton qb was 57-87 for 684 yards.kenton rushed for 17 yards rushing for total offense of 701 yards against st.marys.van wert cant have that!!! as far as shawnee vs o-g, this could be a trap game for them and shawnee could pull the upseteven though o-g has defiance the following week.
Sad our defense held the Kenton QB is check almost the whole game with 1 long gain passing. That game still leaves a bad taste in your mouth especially after this last weekend when Moyer opened the offense up some.

Last thing I worry about going into games is the size of an opposing team's lines.
I have seen that story so many times where the bigger line team just didn't have nearly enough speed and quickness to do any damage at all.

Last thing I worry about going into games is the size of an opposing team's lines.
I have seen that story so many times where the bigger line team just didn't have nearly enough speed and quickness to do any damage at all.
last years wapak vs trotwood their line was huge and we held our ground

(4-2) Kenton at Van Wert (3-3)
(5-1) Wapak
at Bath (2-4)

OG - Should be a close game.
Celina - Defiance knows how to lose.
Kenton - Another tight game.
St. Marys - Mismatch
Wapak - Mismatch

O-G - its wins are more impressive than Shawnee's.
Celina - never going to pick Defiance again. In fact, eff them.
Kenton - could be a good game, one that VW needs more for the playoffs. But I think Kenton will pull it out.
St. Marys - blowout city.
Wapak - I actually don't think Bath is dreadful. But the Redskins are still too powerful for the Wildcats.