Region 1 2019

cardzfan1234

Any pre-season predictions for the 8 teams to make the playoffs?

Here are mine:
1. St Edward (10-0)
2. Mentor (9-1)
3. Euclid (8-2)
4. Solon (8-2)
5. St Ignatius (6-4)
6. Cleveland Heights (8-2)
7. Lorain (8-2)
8. Canton McKinley (7-3)

The 4th place team in the GCC (Medina or Strongsville) has a shot, especially Medina. Almost half of the region (8 out of 18) are from one league. Lots of computer point opportunities on Medina's schedule. I just don't know if they will be able to overcome the tough schedule. Stow, based on reputation, certainly could finish with 7+ wins and get in.

Biggest Week 1 games:

Mentor @ St Edward
Cleveland Heights @ Medina
St Ignatius vs Loyola
Euclid @ Glenville
McKinley vs WGH

Good selections. I don't have the confidence in Lorain, so I'd drop them out and look at Medina/Strongsville/Stow/Jackson as the 8th team.

Lorain has six games on their schedule that seem like a lock to win (Brunswick, Elyria, Toledo Scott, Warrensville, Bedford, Shaw). 50/50 games with Heights, Maple, and Football North. Win one of those (Lorain went 0-3 against them last year) and I think 7 wins will put them right there. It wouldn't generate a ton of computer points, but probably enough for top 8. Avon is a guaranteed loss, that's about it.

Stow does have a tough non-conference schedule with Solon/Barberton. Not sure what to make of how they rank in the Suburban though.

Jackson looked pretty terrible in the scrimmage with Mentor. But it wasn't the first time they looked bad in August and still scrounged up some Fed wins. Not to mention they have three playoff opponents (not DI playoff teams, but still) to start the season in Akron East, Mayfield, and Boardman. Then the unpredictable Fed schedule, where they are just as likely to beat the best team as they are to lose to the worst team. I would be pretty surprised if Jackson gets there, but you never know.

Medina/Cleveland Heights is probably the game this weekend with the most implications of who does and who doesn't make the playoffs. The winner, especially if it is Cleveland Heights, has a good shot. Considering their schedule, Medina could really use a win in Week 1.

After Week 1, my biggest overreaction (and maybe rightfully so) is to dismiss both LEL teams from playoff contention in Region 1. I predicted both Cleveland Heights and Lorain would get the 7-8 wins necessary to make the playoffs. I thought at worst, one of them would make it. Now I am not so sure that will even happen. Lorain got blown out by Brunswick, a 1-9 team a season ago. Cleveland Heights had a respectable close loss to Medina, a team that will greatly benefit from that win all season. Medina has Highland this week, a likely win after seeing they got pounded by Wadsworth - a team Medina plays in Week 3. If the Bees can start 3-0, watch out.

The other surprising win by a potential bubble playoff team was Jackson. They handled Akron East, widely considered one of the most talented teams in Summit County. That win could pay off with some big computer points.

Obviously, Mentor's win over St Edward was huge. Same with St Ignatius over Loyola. The Cats still have a lot of work to do with that schedule, but getting that win in Week 1 was kind of a must with road games at Mentor and Hoban in Weeks 2/3.

McKinley, Solon, and Euclid all squeaked out wins over quality opponents. Those three, along with the Power Three of Region 1, are the six teams I feel best about making the playoffs. There are a bunch of teams (Medina, Strongsville, Jackson, Stow, Cleveland Heights, etc.) that could go either way.

Last edited:
It's Akron East, not Akron North, and its way too early to judge McKinley with a new coach.

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION

It's Akron East, not Akron North, and its way too early to judge McKinley with a new coach.

Brain fart there...I know Akron North is on some ridiculously long losing streak.

As for McKinley, I'm not suggesting they are a playoff lock. Just that I feel better about them making the playoffs than Medina, Strongsville, Jackson, Stow, Cleveland Heights. They should beat Buchtel this week. Big game with Euclid in Week 3. The Fed schedule will make or break their playoff chances.

We also play Euclid and Massillon ooc, not the easiest opponents in Ohio. Most of the teams in our region would be lucky to go 5-5 against our schedule this year, given the relative strength of our league. I'm confident we will be where we want to be week 11. Too big, strong, talented, and importantly, excellent coaching. :)

Big games this week:

Mentor (1-0) vs St Ignatius (1-0): The winner of this game is the team to beat in Region 1...at least for the time being. It would be a huge win for St Ignatius in terms of computer points as they look ahead to a grueling schedule. For Mentor, a win here locks up the likelihood of a home game in Week 11...possibly the top overall seed in Region 1 as long as they do no worse than 6-1 in the GCC.

Cleveland Heights (0-1) vs Glenville (0-1): With Glenville being a lock for 7+ wins, this is a big one in terms of computer points. After losing in Week 1, this feels like a must-win for the Tigers.

Jackson (1-0) vs Mayfield (1-0): After upsetting Akron East in Week 1, this is another chance for Jackson to beat a 2018 playoff team. A win over Mayfield, a potential playoff team again in Region 5, would be a great start to Jackson.

Strongsville (1-0) @ Hudson (0-1): The Explorers gave Solon all they could handle last week. If Strongsville can hang on this week, they put themselves in great position to play out the GCC schedule looking for a return to the playoffs.

Stow (1-0) @ Barberton (1-0): After a 5-5 season in 2018, Stow could return to playoff form with a win over Barberton this week. If 7 wins is the magic number for most of Region 1, starting 2-0 would be pretty huge...especially against a Barberton team that is favored to win 7+ games.

St Ignatius
Mentor
St Edward
Euclid
McKinley
Jackson
Solon
Strongsville
Medina
Shaker Hts

also Stow-Munroe Falls

Big games this week:

Mentor (1-0) vs St Ignatius (1-0): The winner of this game is the team to beat in Region 1...at least for the time being. It would be a huge win for St Ignatius in terms of computer points as they look ahead to a grueling schedule. For Mentor, a win here locks up the likelihood of a home game in Week 11...possibly the top overall seed in Region 1 as long as they do no worse than 6-1 in the GCC.

Cleveland Heights (0-1) vs Glenville (0-1): With Glenville being a lock for 7+ wins, this is a big one in terms of computer points. After losing in Week 1, this feels like a must-win for the Tigers.

Jackson (1-0) vs Mayfield (1-0): After upsetting Akron East in Week 1, this is another chance for Jackson to beat a 2018 playoff team. A win over Mayfield, a potential playoff team again in Region 5, would be a great start to Jackson.

Strongsville (1-0) @ Hudson (0-1): The Explorers gave Solon all they could handle last week. If Strongsville can hang on this week, they put themselves in great position to play out the GCC schedule looking for a return to the playoffs.

Stow (1-0) @ Barberton (1-0): After a 5-5 season in 2018, Stow could return to playoff form with a win over Barberton this week. If 7 wins is the magic number for most of Region 1, starting 2-0 would be pretty huge...especially against a Barberton team that is favored to win 7+ games.

Mentor's win helps put them in better position for the top overall seed. The GCC is off to a good start (14-2), which means they are maximizing their harbin potential in the league. Ignatius still looked like a team that should easily get the 6+ wins needed to get a playoff spot.

Heights' shutout win over Glenville (a 7-3/8-2 team) is big computer points. The Tigers are probably favorites in every game until Week 10 when they play Maple. Unless they beat Maple, the LEL doesn't offer a ton of computer points. If they win the next two weeks (Shaker and Lake Catholic), I think they are in.

Medina, Strongsville, and Brunswick are all 2-0. The only way more than one of these three makes the playoffs would be if they can steal a game from Solon or Euclid. Medina has beaten Solon the past two years, so it is possible. You get the feeling that the three of these teams are going to knock each other out, but it should be interesting. Medina has the tallest task by far to start 3-0. The Bees have Wadsworth, Euclid, and Mentor the next three weeks. Brunswick has Rhodes this week, so they will be 3-0. Strongsville is the favorite against Brecksville. If all three start 3-0, watch out.

Jackson's loss to Mayfield doesn't exclude them from the playoffs, but it isn't a strong sign they will get the 7 wins needed. A big one this week against Boardman.

Biggest games this week:

Stow (2-0) vs Solon (2-0)
Medina (2-0) vs Wadsworth (2-0)
McKinley (2-0) vs Euclid (2-0)
St Ignatius (1-1) vs Hoban (2-0)
Jackson (1-1) vs Boardman (1-1)
GlenOak (1-1) vs Fitch (2-0)

Predictions? I'm going with Solon, Wadsworth, Euclid, Hoban, Jackson, and Fitch. Teams that really can't afford a loss this week are the Fed teams as well as probably Medina. Considering the Bees tough league schedule, a 3-0 start is pretty important. They certainly could still make the playoffs even if they lose to Wadsworth, but they would need to finish with a winning record in a very deep GCC.

Mentor
St Ignatius
St Edward
Euclid
Canton McKinley
Solon
Medina
Strongsville
Stow-Munroe Falls
also Brunswick, Massillon Jackson

Big games tomorrow are:

Wadsworth 21, Medina 17. Start of the third.

Brecksville 7, Strongsville 6. Start of the second.

Then maybe Shaker-Cleveland Heights.

Until Mentor drops 50 on them and ends their season in week 11

If Stow runs through the Suburban, they will be hosting in Week 11 and won't be playing Mentor. Along with Ignatius and Eds, those four seem to me to be the teams that look in the best shape to be the top four seeds in Region 1. Euclid is right there too thanks to big wins over Glenville and McKinley in non-conference play.

Medina is currently down 21-17, a game they were up 10-0, as they will later today finish their game with Wadsworth. It is going to be tough for Medina to make the playoffs without getting a win today. The GCC has a lot of tough games for Medina. The only game you could say they have no chance is Mentor. But there is only one game (Elyria) that look like a guaranteed win. The league games against Shaker, Brunswick, Solon, Strongsville, and Euclid will determine their playoff chances. Beating Wadsworth means they need to go 3-2 in those games. Lose to Wadsworth, and they need to go 4-1 in those five in order to get to the likely 7 wins needed to make the playoffs.