St Ignatus vs Hoban.

Cougarfan22

Since no one else will start a thread on this game I will dare to post. Thoughts on this match up?

I see a low scoring contest and a Similar score to last year. 21-14. Who wins depends on a couple of things. Hoban played last week without 3 starting linebackers. If these 3 don’t suit up it puts more stress on Traynum to go both ways. If 2/3 or all 3 play I think Traynum stays fresh and will be the difference. Edge Hoban.

If 2/3 or all 3 do not dress then #1 has to go both ways more often and I give the edge to IGGY. It will be hot so fresh legs will matter. Iggy probably has more depth and Hoban with the more overall talent. Crowd should be good with a playoff atmosphere. Should be a great game.

I’m thinking Hoban might win this one with the overall talent a little better than Iggy. If Iggy can keep it close they might have a chance at the end with better depth. Should be interesting.

I think Ignatius can keep this competitive / win if the offense can sustain drives and keep the defense off the field. Last year the D just wore out tackling Trayanum and Co. and dealing with that big O Line after repeated 3 and outs by the offense.

Ignatius O is a big question mark at this point, but I think better than the group that faced Hoban a year ago. I still think they will struggle big time this week.

Since no one else will start a thread on this game I will dare to post. Thoughts on this match up?

I see a low scoring contest and a Similar score to last year. 21-14. Who wins depends on a couple of things. Hoban played last week without 3 starting linebackers. If these 3 don’t suit up it puts more stress on Traynum to go both ways. If 2/3 or all 3 play I think Traynum stays fresh and will be the difference. Edge Hoban.

If 2/3 or all 3 do not dress then #1 has to go both ways more often and I give the edge to IGGY. It will be hot so fresh legs will matter. Iggy probably has more depth and Hoban with the more overall talent. Crowd should be good with a playoff atmosphere. Should be a great game.

Actually only 2 of the 3 linebackers were held out last week. From what I hear, the coaches have been resting them for this game as they weren’t critical to beating Mooney last week.

Sounds like Hoban will have to bring in additional bleachers for this game. Stadium only holds maybe 3500-4500 people and Ignatius has a huge band this year!

Actually only 2 of the 3 linebackers were held out last week. From what I hear, the coaches have been resting them for this game as they weren’t critical to beating Mooney last week.
Ok. I was at game and counted 3 starters in street clothes. Maybe 1 was a DL.

Ignatius had zero passing attack against Hoban last season. The passing was below average against Mentor last Friday, and I believe Hoban's defense will be much better.

That is not a shot at Mentor. I just think Hoban had more athletic guys on that side of the ball.

Ignatius had zero passing attack against Hoban last season. The passing was below average against Mentor last Friday, and I believe Hoban's defense will be much better.

That is not a shot at Mentor. I just think Hoban had more athletic guys on that side of the ball.

No offense taken here. Mentor's defense, even when they have a lot of individual talent, doesn't stand out among the area's best. This year's group is pretty green at some key positions, like both corners and both defensive ends. Hoban's defense and special teams have got to be a lot more disciplined and consistent than Mentor.

I will say that St Ignatius offense has more potential to move the chains and get in the end zone than they did in the early part of last season. The uncertainty of the QB is a concern though. Conor Cmiel is quite a player. He can will the offense to a scoring drive or two that they wouldn't have gotten under typical circumstances.

Over the past three season, only St Ignatius (2017 regular season) and St Edward (2016 regular season) have beaten Hoban. This Ignatius team isn't quite as good as the 2017 one, but they are still pretty good. Should be an interesting game this weekend. I think Hoban will win, but Ignatius will keep it competitive and close.

Like has been mentioned, I think this game comes down to health. 3 of Hoban's best 5 defensive players did not dress vs Mooney - 2 LB's and their best DB. If all 3 are out, Iggy has the edge. Hoban's first 22-25 are loaded, but the depth is not that of a D1 Iggy, Ed's or Mentor. Another factor under the radar - for the first time since this run started, Hoban's kicking game is not at the standard it has been. The young kicker just doesn't have the leg to be a factor, so you'll see squibs on kick-offs, especially with what Cmiel has done, and after watching last week, Hoban will be going on 4th down a lot inside the 30. Close games that might come down to a FG will be an issue this year.

Haban played last years game like it was their super bowl. Ignatius must be on key,they are very capable of beating this hoban team. Iggy in a close one.

I am excited to see this game Friday. I am a little concerned about the weather impacting both teams. Could be easy for a team, maybe both to get sloppy. I give the edge to Ignatius on depth. My previous comments were around rain, if no rain other factor could be heat on the pro-turf field, and Hoban starters haven't played 4 quarters yet. I haven't seen Ignatius yet, I assume size will be fairly even? Can someone shed some light on the size comparisons of the offensive and defensive lines?

When looking at the Hoban schedule, this is the only tough game they have, so they will be extremely motivated to win. Ignatius has several very tough games. The difference might be at qb experience and line play. For that, combined with the schedule importance, the edge goes to Hoban

Like has been mentioned, I think this game comes down to health. 3 of Hoban's best 5 defensive players did not dress vs Mooney - 2 LB's and their best DB.

The team you destroyed 49-0??? Guess I don't see the huge drop off but we'll take your word. Jmo but hard for Hoban to garner sympathy. Also won last year w/out starting qb if not mistaken.

The team you destroyed 49-0??? Guess I don't see the huge drop off but we'll take your word. Jmo but hard for Hoban to garner sympathy. Also won last year w/out starting qb if not mistaken.
Against Iggy, Hoban needs those guys. Mooney had success running the ball and driving on Hoban the entire first half, they just couldn't finish drives off with points.

Ignatius will control the line of scrimmage and Hobans inexperience in the trenches. As a result is will be a close game. Kyles game plan and experience will prevail Iggy 28 Hoban 21.

I am excited to see this game Friday. I am a little concerned about the weather impacting both teams. Could be easy for a team, maybe both to get sloppy. I give the edge to Ignatius on depth. My previous comments were around rain, if no rain other factor could be heat on the pro-turf field, and Hoban starters haven't played 4 quarters yet. I haven't seen Ignatius yet, I assume size will be fairly even? Can someone shed some light on the size comparisons of the offensive and defensive lines?
Iggy's oline will have a size advantage, but Hoban will play a couple of their olineman both ways at times for a game like this. The heat could dictate how much. Hoban's had bigger front sevens, but this is probably their fastest D yet.

This is also a big game points wise for Hoban. If they lose, I would worry about the rest of the schedule and how many games some of those teams might win. The Benny game will be important in that regard.