Week 3—-Massillon Washington (2-0) at Warren Harding (1-1)

Maxie

🏈 2023 State Champions——16-0
Two longtime rivals play in Warren next Friday. The Tigers have won 3 out of the last 5 games. Massillon leads the series between the schools 54-25-3. Comments.

Almost beat Mckinley at Benson. So according to JJ I guess we're screwed. ;)

Seriously, gauging from that, very stiff test for our secondary and QB containment. Good offense. And let me be the FIRST to say: Buena Vista here we come! :)

Seriously, gauging from that, very stiff test for our secondary and QB containment. Good offense. And let me be the FIRST to say: Buena Vista here we come! :)
Don't know that I'll get there early enough for Buena Vista but man I like that place.

Other than this is warrens biggest game every year and that momentum I don’t think it is looking good for them. Warren’s interior lines on both sides are horrible. Worst the Tigers will see all year

Massillon needs to relentlessly blitz Warrens QB. Their OLine is not very good. Run the ball, and wear the defense down. Then go over the top. I am guessing 50-14.

Just for that false remark, I hope you get a ticket in Jackson (Trumball) on the way to the game! I don't compare scores of games. It's stupid, especially in high school sports.

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION

Anybody know why Warren and Massillon stopped playing each other prior to restarting the series a few years ago?

Lee Owens felt he was screwed at Warren in, i believe it was 88 and said when the series played out he would never play Warren again, the next year (the last in the contract) Massillon won 54-2 and they didn't play until Shepas and Thommy Mac ironed things out in 01.

Last edited:
Harding QB has thrown for some yardage but IMO he is the weak link. Harding will be able to compete with the rest of the teams on the schedule but I don't think this young team is ready for this type of competition. Hope I'm wrong. Go Raiders!

Harding QB has thrown for some yardage but IMO he is the weak link. Harding will be able to compete with the rest of the teams on the schedule but I don't think this young team is ready for this type of competition. Hope I'm wrong. Go Raiders!
Massillons defense is VERY fast and they run to the ball. They're ALL hitters.

Too bad for Warren those '88 refs are in nursing homes by now. They could use some help this week for sure. Massillon is ready early this year. Warren isn't.

Too bad for Warren those '88 refs are in nursing homes by now. They could use some help this week for sure. Massillon is ready early this year. Warren isn't.

You talk a lot of crap for somebody whose team had all the luck in the world in week 1. Props to Canton McKinley for getting the victory. They’re one of the greatest programs in the history of high school football and we here in Warren have the utmost respect for them. However, our junior quarterback set a new school record in passing yards and had he not had cramps in the 4th quarter, he would’ve eclipsed 400 yards passing. McKinley couldn’t guard our young receivers at all, but we had several drops and one burnt McKinley, but turned around too soon and fell in the end zone back pedaling, which enabled McKinley to get the interception right before halftime. But again, McKinley deserved the win and we give them there props, but don’t pretend like it’s sweet over here cause it’s not.

Massillon will be a whole new challenge, but they better be prepared to guard a player who is potentially the best receiver that we’ve had since Mario Manningham. In fact, he hasn’t even reached his peak yet and even Mario himself thinks that he’ll end up being better than him. If I were you, instead of blowing smoke, I’d just be happy that you played us in week 1.

Worm, I read about the QB he looks another good one, but tell us about the receiver. Class, offers, etc.

You had to mention Manningham. He sure triggers some painful memories. At least you didn't include Bowden. Both would be on any short list of our All-Time opponent team - which is saying alot. Can't wait for some Greek fried chicken and hs football at its best.

Worm, I read about the QB he looks another good one, but tell us about the receiver. Class, offers, etc.

You had to mention Manningham. He sure triggers some painful memories. At least you didn't include Bowden. Both would be on any short list of our All-Time opponent team - which is saying alot. Can't wait for some Greek fried chicken and hs football at its best.

Manningham's breakout game came against Massillon in week 9 of 2002. Ironically, he caught his first varsity pass the week before against Canton McKinley. Up to that point, he was just the leading tackler on special teams (I remember hearing his name a lot on kickoffs).

The bulk of Harding's talent is at the wide receiver position, which is why we threw the ball more than we usually do. That wasn't necessary in week 2, but I'm sure that both teams will provide an air show this Friday. We have a few receivers with a lot of potential and our "track & field guys" haven't even gotten off yet. Instead of hyping any particular player up too much too soon (probably a little late for that, lol), I'm going to allow him remain nameless for now. Usually not my style and from our end, it's not gonna provide the huge element of surprise that Manningham's breakthrough 17 years ago had. That shocked everybody, especially since that was the USA Today Game of the Week. This time around, it's moreso us waiting for it to happen and being relieved & overjoyed if/when it does. Canton McKinley got a small glimspe, but hopefully, Massillon will get a much bigger one. If that happens, Harding will have a chance to win.

Fair enough. You prolly heard we have some good receivers too. ;) It is early yet but hopefully drier weather prevails and we get to see that pigskin fly and all that talent on full display. Good luck.

Fair enough. You prolly heard we have some good receivers too. ;) It is early yet but hopefully drier weather prevails and we get to see that pigskin fly and all that talent on full display. Good luck.

Yeah I mentioned Ballard & Wilson-Lamp in my game preview for the site. The link is above if you haven't checked it out yet.