Southwestern Buckeye League 2019 season thread

when I was in school 1980-1984, and before that time Oakwood was our biggest rival. Prior to that it was Northmont.
We were Dirt Farmers to Oakwood fans. Never lost to them from 1975-1981.

It may seem early but there are some big time Harbins out there for grabs tomorrow night. Bellbrook vs. Fairborn, Franklin vs. Edgewood, Brookville vs. Anna, Monroe vs. Ross and Valley View vs. Ft. Recovery. Every team listed here will more than likely win at least 5 or more games.

Even when Monroe was on there run 2006-2009 (not counting 2005 because they were in the MML), they were 4-4. They played Valley View and Bellbrook in those years. This also included a thrashing that VV put on Monroe at Barker in 2006.
That VV/Monroe game in 2006 was revenge for the embarrassment you guys put on us in the Regional Final the year prior

It may seem early but there are some big time Harbins out there for grabs tomorrow night. Bellbrook vs. Fairborn, Franklin vs. Edgewood, Brookville vs. Anna, Monroe vs. Ross and Valley View vs. Ft. Recovery. Every team listed here will more than likely win at least 5 or more games.
Fort Recovery is counting on a lot of Harbin Points from Valley View. :)

FRANKLIN WILDCATS

Go to swohiosportsdaily.com to read Skip Weaver's preview of the Franklin-Edgewood football game and the family ties that run through it

Not sure there are 5 wins on Monroe's schedule. I see possibly 3.

Since 2012 the Buckeye Division is 23-60 against the Southwest Division for a .277 win percentage. 14 of the 23 wins have come against Oakwood. Carlisle has the best record at 9-11 and Milton is second at 5-9. Crossover games have and always will be bad for the Buckeye division teams. On the other side though, Brookville continues to have quite a bit of success as a DV school on the Soutwest side. Seems odd since Brookville is a very similar to Madison, Carlisle, Shawnee.
and this is the reason the league as we all know it is gone in 2 years. A few of those teams who always lost crossovers were in favor of bringing in 2 more schools so the crossover games could go away and the league wouldn't even entertain the idea. Those 2 will be in the new CCC (WOAC) in 2 years.
the way I see it (numbers might prove me wrong) the SWBL doesn't really have big schools and small schools. they are closer to 3 levels. Bellbrook and Franklin are bigger than everybody else, Monroe isn't far behind. I'm guessing they won crossovers. Oakwood, VV, Eaton, and Brookville vs Milton, Carlisle, Waynesville and Madison were probably good games (and would be a great league!). Ridge, Preble, and Dixie probably didn't win too many in the crossovers.

NewOldBlood. did you pick 2012 randomly? or did the numbers work better there? Just wondering what they are last 10 years, or all time? the league split in 2001? MU and Monroe swapped divisions in '10 I think.

and this is the reason the league as we all know it is gone in 2 years. A few of those teams who always lost crossovers were in favor of bringing in 2 more schools so the crossover games could go away and the league wouldn't even entertain the idea. Those 2 will be in the new CCC (WOAC) in 2 years.
the way I see it (numbers might prove me wrong) the SWBL doesn't really have big schools and small schools. they are closer to 3 levels. Bellbrook and Franklin are bigger than everybody else, Monroe isn't far behind. I'm guessing they won crossovers. Oakwood, VV, Eaton, and Brookville vs Milton, Carlisle, Waynesville and Madison were probably good games (and would be a great league!). Ridge, Preble, and Dixie probably didn't win too many in the crossovers.

NewOldBlood. did you pick 2012 randomly? or did the numbers work better there? Just wondering what they are last 10 years, or all time? the league split in 2001? MU and Monroe swapped divisions in '10 I think.
It does no good to talk about it now... but my dream scenario would have been for the SWBL to add 2 more teams to the Buckeye Division and bring on TVS/TCN. It's my understanding that when the SWBL split into 2 divisions back in the early/mid 2000's (not sure the time exactly), that there was an invitation for those 2 schools to join. It was a package deal for both schools to join and TVS was in favor and TCN was not.

I used the SWBL site and that was are far back as it went.

I knew Niswonger personally. It was his way. Very good time for Valley View.

Can't remember the year, maybe '03, VV beat Madison 72-12. When the score was 66-12, the starting QB who was also the punt returner (Buener, I think) returned a punt for a TD for the final points. He was nice enough to take a knee on the extra point to not run the score up too much lol. I always thought Jay was a good dude and a great coach, but he was not afraid to run it up on folks.

I used the SWBL site and that was are far back as it went.
Joe Eitel has scores back to 2000. Our coach Bret Pearce took over a train wreck at MU in 2000. He was coaching the last year in the SRC and the first in the split SWBL in 2001. Valley View came into MU with 20 seniors and beat MU starting mostly Inexperienced kids 75-12. Coach Pearce stayed the course and built MU back into the program it used to be before the departure of Steve Magoteaux in 1984. (Magoteaux was 50-10 in 6 seasons with 3 SWBL And 1 SRC titles. He finished 10-0, 8-2, 6-4, 9-1, 10-0, 7-3.)
With Pearce as head coach Milton will be very good and will be as good or better than any SW side team. Coach Pearce is a talented coach, he’s as good or better than any coach we face.
Coach Pearce has developed 2 division 1 college players, 1 NFL 4th round offensive lineman, taken MU to their first playoff game (2002) and won 3 SWBL titles.
not much better in the SWBL.

Last edited:
Joe Eitel has scores back to 2000. Our coach Bret Pearce took over a train wreck at MU in 2000. He was coaching the last year in the SRC and the first in the split SWBL in 2001. Valley View came into MU with 20 seniors and beat MU starting mostly Inexperienced kids 75-12. Coach Pearce stayed the course and built MU back into the program it used to be before the departure of Steve Magoteaux in 1984. (Magoteaux was 50-10 in 6 seasons with 3 SWBL And 1 SRC titles. He finished 10-0, 8-2, 6-4, 9-1, 10-0, 7-3.)
With Pearce as head coach Milton will be very good and will be as good or better than any SW side team. Coach Pearce is a talented coach, he’s as good or better than any coach we face.
Coach Pearce has developed 2 division 1 college players, 1 NFL 4th round offensive lineman, taken MU to their first playoff game (2002) and won 3 SWBL titles.
not much better in the SWBL.
Yeah, was at that Game. Believe Brock Bolen was FB for VV. When VV walked off at half-time, some kids near me yelled at Bolen and He looked right at them. the rest was history lol

FR - 10
VV - 7

FR jumped out 3-0 quick after VV botched and fumbled a handoff on their opening drive. Then it was a defensive slug fest which included FR picking VV off 2 times after (one being returned for a TD)

VV then completely abandoned the pass and ran the triple option which drove them right down the field for a score before half.

Milton-Union 37
Oakwood 16. Halftime
AJ Lovin 86- yard run in the second quarter. MU 2 interceptions and 2 fumble recoveries. Oakwood is scrappy and never-day-die.

Milton-Union 51
Oakwood 22

MU had backups playing In the 3rd period. Oakwood has a nice team. #4 is a speedster.

Franklin 20
Edgewood 10
Final

Late pick 6 help the Wildcats seal the deal. I listened to it on cindaysports.com and sounds like it was slugfest between two old league rivals.

MU with a huge win on the road. Oakwood will struggle this year but they are dangerous.
Madison had a big win. Waynesville loses a close one. MU and Northridge are headed for a clash in two weeks. Hard to believe.

VV gets no easy game next week when they have to travel to Madison. Need to stay focused

Kudos to Madison on a big win tonight, but reading is terrible. They had to quit in the third quarter in their scrimmage against monroe because they ran out of players. I still think Madison will do ok in buckeye play, but I think VV cruises next week.

MU could’ve scored 70 on Oakwood. They are a decent team. Very disciplined and fast. #4 for the Jacks is a motorboat.
I was impressed with MU’s speed and aggressiveness. 5 turnovers I believe. Madison and MU will be a great game.
This could be a special year for Milton. I just have a feeling.

Harbin points as of week 2:
Bellbrook 6.65
Franklin 6.25
Valley View 5.65
Northridge 5.25
Milton-Union 5.10
Dixie 3.85
Waynesville 3.15
Madison 2.25
Preble Shawnee 1.75
Brookville 1.75
Carlisle 0.00
Eaton 0.00
Oakwood 0.00
Monroe 0.00

Last edited:
MU could’ve scored 70 on Oakwood. They are a decent team. Very disciplined and fast. #4 for the Jacks is a motorboat.
I was impressed with MU’s speed and aggressiveness. 5 turnovers I believe. Madison and MU will be a great game.
This could be a special year for Milton. I just have a feeling.

Harbin points as of week 2:
Bellbrook 6.65
Franklin 6.25
Valley View 5.65
Northridge 5.25
Milton-Union 5.10
Dixie 3.85
Waynesville 3.15
Madison 2.25
Preble Shawnee 1.75
Brookville 1.75
Carlisle 0.00
Eaton 0.00
Oakwood 0.00
Monroe 0.00
Went to JV game today, it seemed that Oakwood had several big juniors on JV which shocked me since Milton's varsity dismantled them last night. Did Oakwood have some guys playing to help JV?