Public vs. Private .What schools or coaches whine the most about unfair advantages?

James x2

Competitive balance.Did it satisfy the complainers? What happens going forward in D-1? Separating the two should never happen. I would like more publics to step up their game and compete.Is that even possible? Or is the talent disparity too great to over come the football factories?

Mentor and Colerain have shown that a well-developed program can compete with anyone. I wouldn't say that the schools are whining as much as the fans.

Absolutely. The reason private schools are usually better isn’t because they “recruit”. It’s because a private school is usually a structured environment and the kids who go to private schools come from good families, so they have a good head on their shoulders and are taught how to work, usually.

Mentor and Colerain have shown that a well-developed program can compete with anyone. I wouldn't say that the schools are whining as much as the fans.
I will add Kirtland to that list.I remember them finally breaking through against Ursuline who was about unbeatable

Absolutely. The reason private schools are usually better isn’t because they “recruit”. It’s because a private school is usually a structured environment and the kids who go to private schools come from good families, so they have a good head on their shoulders and are taught how to work, usually.

So a Catholic school with 219 boys (10-12) who has graduated over 20 D-I guys in the last 7 years and who has 100 kids on their roster (10-12) every year is because they are structured and all the kids come from good families. Got it.:LOL:

DI is different. Once you get to a certain amount of boys you can compete and it matters far less. It is the smaller schools that rig their enrollment (see previous post).

DI is different. Once you get to a certain amount of boys you can compete and it matters far less. It is the smaller schools that rig their enrollment (see previous post).
The lies never die. A culture of success that encourages participation and excellence teaches kids to compete. You’re delusional if you think the Catholic diocesan schools limit their enrollments to stay in smaller divisions, while recruiting only talented athletes as students.

What happens is that families choose the schools for all their family members, and encourage them to reach for great things. That goes for academics, social life, school spirit and athletics.

18 of my family members have gone to Alter. 6 were boys, and we all played football. 4 played in college. 4 also played multiple sports. Of the girls, 1 swam, 2 played volleyball and 1 soccer.

None of us were recruited to Alter for athletics, none even were on anybody’s radar as future stars, but all worked our ways into the starting football lineup. As far as I am aware, none received financial aid of any kind.

Alter and all Catholic schools are full of families like mine. That’s why we do well in football and most sports. It be nothing to with your weird ideas about limiting enrollment to great athletes, which doesn’t happen.

Would the GCL go on this list, since they have filed a lawsuit to have it dismissed?
sorry..i thought the question is..who is whining the most..to me, nothing says whining like taking the association whose other members voted in favor of the rule to court.

sorry..i thought the question is..who is whining the most..to me, nothing says whining like taking the association whose other members voted in favor of the rule to court.
Some of the public schools whined for decades about losing to the privates. They made up lies to justify their own inabilities. Privates haven’t whined, but want a little fine tuning, which the publics, with 90% of the vote, won’t do.

Yet the lies continue, just a couple posts above this one. To me, talking about rigging enrollment is the ultimate whine.

The key here isn't necessarily the structured environment, (though it will be a better one due to the lack of as many knuckleheads ) it is that the private school is getting better parents, which will generally get you better kids. I have no issue with privates recruiting, I mean, no one is compelled to go there, so they should recruit.

Some of the public schools whined for decades about losing to the privates. They made up lies to justify their own inabilities. Privates haven’t whined, but want a little fine tuning, which the publics, with 90% of the vote, won’t do.

Yet the lies continue, just a couple posts above this one. To me, talking about rigging enrollment is the ultimate whine.
The reason your parents sent you to Alter was because they saw that as a better option than the public schools. You came from a good home that was going to produce really good kids. This is not unique at a private school. This gives a private school an advantage. Your parents sent you there for this advantage, and they were smart to do so. Of course this has nothing to do with the "public school inabilities". Statements like that seem to suggest that all kids are exactly the same, but somehow when they go to a private school, the private school transforms them into better football players. Heck, if that were the case, college coaches wouldn't bother with recruiting the best. They could just take anyone and transform them into great players.

The reason your parents sent you to Alter was because they saw that as a better option than the public schools. You came from a good home that was going to produce really good kids. This is not unique at a private school. This gives a private school an advantage. Your parents sent you there for this advantage, and they were smart to do so. Of course this has nothing to do with the "public school inabilities". Statements like that seem to suggest that all kids are exactly the same, but somehow when they go to a private school, the private school transforms them into better football players. Heck, if that were the case, college coaches wouldn't bother with recruiting the best. They could just take anyone and transform them into great players.
Fine. So why make up lies to justify doing things like counting a kid who never attended public school as two or three, under the guise that somehow he was stolen away from a more deserving public school?

As Buckwheat would say: “O-tay”

Let all schools recruit. Bet the private schools would all of a sudden have a big problem with it because they would lose their advantage of hand picking their teams.

Fine. So why make up lies to justify doing things like counting a kid who never attended public school as two or three, under the guise that somehow he was stolen away from a more deserving public school?
I'm actually indifferent about the competitive balance issue. I agree with the idea that privates have an advantage. I don't particularly care if anything is done about that advantage. Sports are about a lot more than winning a state title.

The lies never die. A culture of success that encourages participation and excellence teaches kids to compete. You’re delusional if you think the Catholic diocesan schools limit their enrollments to stay in smaller divisions, while recruiting only talented athletes as students.

What happens is that families choose the schools for all their family members, and encourage them to reach for great things. That goes for academics, social life, school spirit and athletics.

18 of my family members have gone to Alter. 6 were boys, and we all played football. 4 played in college. 4 also played multiple sports. Of the girls, 1 swam, 2 played volleyball and 1 soccer.

None of us were recruited to Alter for athletics, none even were on anybody’s radar as future stars, but all worked our ways into the starting football lineup. As far as I am aware, none received financial aid of any kind.

Alter and all Catholic schools are full of families like mine. That’s why we do well in football and most sports. It be nothing to with your weird ideas about limiting enrollment to great athletes, which doesn’t happen.

It has all changed. I am Catholic. I attended Catholic school all the way up. I was a good football player who played football at a successful Catholic HS for a HOF coach. My HS used to depend on X amount of Catholic grade schools to supply them kids (my freshman team had 80+ kids). I was not recruited to play for them nor were any of my classmates. Coach shows up in late July and BAM! there are 80 Catholic boys standing in front of him whose families take a vested interest in their sons and are willing to drop X amount of dollars to prove it. In Toledo there used to be around 65 Catholic grade schools. Today there are only a handful left (maybe 10). With that said, these schools began to struggle with enrollment and were forced to change their business model.

I told you before and will say it again. Toledo CC has 219 boys grades 10-12 and they have 100 boys out. They have sent 20 some kids D-I over the past 8 years (and many more below). That is an outlier on a graph in comparison to any other D-IV program. That does not just happen by chance and there is nothing fair about that school competing against ANY D-IV public school. Most D-IV schools have 50-60 kids out in their ENTIRE program every year and are lucky to have 1 kid go DI over an 8 year stretch. When I played I'd guess that 90% of our roster was Catholic. Today, for these schools like TCC I'd say it is closer to 20% if not less. And it is not as though they are limiting kids per say but there is only enough endowment money to go around.

Everyone sees it as it is blatant so quit trying to say otherwise. This notion that Catholic schools win because of superior atmosphere and teaching is simply BS.

Yup, just own up to the advantage, in not doing so, they appear delusional.
Every winning team has an advantage. Some call it an edge. Is it unfair? Unfair enough to change the rules? Those without an edga say so. Rather than challenging themselves, they rig the rules. I don’t mind that. It’s the lies that irk me. Just say we can’t compete, so we’re going to change the rules so we can get a trophy, too. Don’t make up lies about the successful teams.

If any of you believe that public schools don't recruit you are in dreamland. Open enrollment is recruiting. Talking to Privates to return "home" is recruiting. Someone getting an apartment in a new district is recruiting. There is no way to control it.

Every winning team has an advantage. Some call it an edge. Is it unfair? Unfair enough to change the rules? Those without an edga say so. Rather than challenging themselves, they rig the rules. I don’t mind that. It’s the lies that irk me. Just say we can’t compete, so we’re going to change the rules so we can get a trophy, too. Don’t make up lies about the successful teams.
Tell us more about these "lies"? One would think you folks would welcome the additional challenge.

If any of you believe that public schools don't recruit you are in dreamland. Open enrollment is recruiting. Talking to Privates to return "home" is recruiting. Someone getting an apartment in a new district is recruiting. There is no way to control it.
I'm pretty sure no one on here said anything about public schools not being able to recruit. Some can, some can't. Our school doesn't have open enrollment. But again, if you think there is simply something magical about what they do at a private school, and that they will take just any ol' student and turn him into a champion, you are delusional. You get really good kids, so you will then have really good teams.