Andrew Luck retires: Colts quarterback stuns NFL after seven seasons at age 29

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
In the most shocking development of the NFL offseason, Indianapolis Colts star quarterback Andrew Luck will retire from the NFL. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that there will be a press conference on Sunday where the 29-year-old will announce his decision. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero confirmed that Luck has informed the Colts of his decision.

Luck was seen on the sidelines of the Colts' preseason game Saturday night against the Chicago Bears when the news broke, and confirmed the reports during a postgame press conference. The injuries he battled throughout the past few seasons had simply taken too big a toll on his psyche, he said.

Don't understand a few of the fans being upset; you would think they would have appreciated his play and understand it is a health issue, not a affront to fantasy football jerks who drafted him already.

Don't understand a few of the fans being upset; you would think they would have appreciated his play and understand it is a health issue, not a affront to fantasy football jerks who drafted him already.
It's an affront to the franchise, waiting till 2 weeks before the season.

Hes only 29, i predict he'll be back in a year or two.

I would have boo as well to give up on the team two weeks before the season. Head injuries, sickness, something serious I could stomach but his latest of a calf and ankle,. F you man.

This is from an article in the Washington Post. "He is only 29 years old, but football has wrecked his body and stolen his joy. Over the past four years, his injuries have been brutal and relentless: shoulder sprain, torn cartilage in the ribs, partially torn abdomen, lacerated kidney, concussion, torn labrum in his right shoulder and now the calf and ankle problem that hasn’t healed.
Luck has missed a season and a half of playing time because of injuries. He awoke one morning after a game and noticed blood in his urine. He lost the entire 2017 season because of a difficult recovery from shoulder surgery." https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...and-stolen-his-joy/ar-AAGiYZD?ocid=spartandhp

He played with a terrible offensive line most of his career and his passion for the game seems to be gone after suffering so many injuries. I don't blame him for retiring as his body has taken a lot of pounding and for the sake of his long-term health it is probably the right move.

I’ve got no problem with it, he has to do what he thinks is best for his family and himself. We don’t know what kind of pain he is in. Luck is a smart guy he’ll do well on whatever he does next . Wish him well.

I’ve got no problem with it, he has to do what he thinks is best for his family and himself. We don’t know what kind of pain he is in. Luck is a smart guy he’ll do well on whatever he does next . Wish him well.
Didn’t you question the timing of Boling’s retirement a month or so ago?

Grigson the former GM should be booed. He's the one who had awful draft rafter awful draft with the ultimate result being Luck getting beaten up every year.

Grigson the former GM should be booed. He's the one who had awful draft rafter awful draft with the ultimate result being Luck getting beaten up every year.

That's the key to this - the lack of an offensive line to keep him upright. Wonder how many of the critics are angry simply because their Fantasy Football teams are affected or because they bet money on the Colts to get to the Super Bowl. Probably a significant number.

Don't think Trevor guy can come out next year and he. Don't think they will have to try and tank

And I wonder - maybe that^ tells us something ? The fact that they'll have such a sh1t team without Luck - no nice FA signings - could show that suspected this and wanted to tank.

It certainly doesn't look like they were all-in to win with him this year.

Luck looks like the GEICO caveman and speaks as if he has a mouth full of mashed potatoes. Although he'd likely be very insightful, I can't imagine a network putting him in the broadcast booth.

It's incredible the polarizing nature of this. One the quick and suddenness of the announcement. The seemingly lack of transparency from the team, and that's not unusual. Remember Luck was working out before last week's preseason game vs. the Browns, but to then be surprised he gets booed is a little far reaching. It's not like he decided to retire Saturday night. The presser was prepared, yes it was supposed to be Sunday, but once the cat was out of the bag, they had to move forward. Did the team and Luck know this was possibly 3 months ago? 6 months ago? The Colts have done a great job of putting a good, young team together over the past 3 seasons, and their franchise QB decides to leave now???

He's only 29 years old. 7 years in the NFL, he played 6. Could not a option had been to put him on the PUP list for the season and see how he feels in the spring? I just think he may, he just may, want to come back in a year or two.

That's the key to this - the lack of an offensive line to keep him upright. Wonder how many of the critics are angry simply because their Fantasy Football teams are affected or because they bet money on the Colts to get to the Super Bowl. Probably a significant number.

Yep. The Colts did to Luck what the Browns did to Tim Couch. Get their franchise QB then put nothing around him, up front, to protect him.

As far as people thinking it should be "ok" for him to be booed? Granted, he's been telling the Colts he may retire since March but for godsakes, the dude played with a lacerated kidney.

Yep. The Colts did to Luck what the Browns did to Tim Couch. Get their franchise QB then put nothing around him, up front, to protect him.

As far as people thinking it should be "ok" for him to be booed? Granted, he's been telling the Colts he may retire since March but for godsakes, the dude played with a lacerated kidney.

Couch was sacked 56 times in one season. 56.

Retirement is solely his decision. Timing of it is awful for the Team and Players! Colts front office obviously not upset or they would be trying to recoup some of his signing bonus money.

Retirement is solely his decision. Timing of it is awful for the Team and Players! Colts front office obviously not upset or they would be trying to recoup some of his signing bonus money.
Front office can't win. Luck is a town favorite, if they tried to get money from him they'd get eaten alive. I think the issue is they think there may be a slight glimmer of hope he may return, either as a player or coach, this keeps the door open in a way.

I'm not sure I"ve ever seen an athlete get so much praise for retiring a couple of weeks before the season with so much expected from his team? And hinting the "mental" aspects really starts us on a slippery slope.