Preseason Poll?

last year for the first poll. D1 all 12 voters got the boys correct for #1 and none got the girls correct.

D2 only one got boys. only one got girls. (All 12 should get both this year)

D3 no one got boys. all 12 got the girls.

last year for the first poll. D1 all 12 voters got the boys correct for #1 and none got the girls correct.

D2 only one got boys. only one got girls. (All 12 should get both this year)

D3 no one got boys. all 12 got the girls.

What do you mean by getting the #1 team correct?

The eventual State Champ.

D1 boys, Hudson got all 12 first place votes. (The more interesting thing is that Mason got more 1st place votes going into the state meet)
D1 Girls, Beavercreek didn't get any and were 5th overall. (By the end of the season, most had it right going into the state meet)

D2 Boys, Woodridge got one and was ranked 4th. (The 3 teams ahead of them were interesting) only 3 voters had it right going into the state meet.
D2 Girls, Lexington got one and were 3rd. (very interesting the 2 teams above them finished 10th and 11th at the state meet) Voters had it right going into the state meet.

D3 Boys, Fort Loramie didn't get any first place votes and was ranked 8th. Only had 2 votes going into the state and were 4th.
D3 Girls, Minster got all 12 votes.

The eventual State Champ.
This analysis assumes that the team that won in November would have won in August.
Is the poll supposed to predict who will be State champ at the end of the season? Or should they identify the best teams at that point in time?

Just some notes from D2:
Woodridge Boys team brings back 6 of top 7 from State Championship team! Shelby lost 4 of top 5 yet they are ranked #1.
Rock Hill is D3 this year but they are ranked for D2 boys
I'm not sure all the coaches knew Granville is now D2 for girls (even though they are ranked 6th- they did receive 2 1st place votes)

Side note: Hebron Lakewood will be good this year. They beat Sheridan straight up in a dual with both teams running everyone.

Have fun this year! It's fun just to be able to talk cross country!

I think some may have also missed Carroll and Defiance boys dropping down to D2. Both teams should be considered. Not to mention that Defiance adds a top-tier individual.

That certainly was not worth waiting for.

Howard is just a big enough jerk to not vote Woodridge #1, but every other coach should have.

Granville makes D2 girls interesting and I'd give them a slight edge over Lexington. #5 is the key to Granville. #5 is probably the key to every team. (I'll be honest, I thought Granville was a lock, but I missed that they lose #2) oops.

Last edited:
I don't ask for much when it comes to these polls, but at least get the school names correct. Maderia? St. Vincent St. Marys? Come on now.

Anna boys who are now D3 will qualify for state and should be ranked. They are young but lots of talent and are well coached.

I think some may have also missed Carroll and Defiance boys dropping down to D2. Both teams should be considered. Not to mention that Defiance adds a top-tier individual.

Exactly. Defiance will be top 10 D2 school. Somehow they have Lexington at 8. They graduated 4 of top 5 and number 5 returner had an 18:40 PR last year. Perrysburg girls not in top 30 D1 is also another clear miss.

West Liberty Salem Boys bump up to D2... defeated top 2 teams in state d3 last year at district and are tougher this season. They should be ranked top half d2. Might fly under the radar for a week. Whose gonna beat their girls d3?

Where is all the Defiance love coming from? They lost 1 and 5 from last year and, the returning 7-8 were closer to 19:00 than 18:00 on Tiffin. They might have been 4th out of their region last year. I have no doubt that they will be a strong team, but how does anyone think they are a top 10 to start?

I believe that their #1 was out for the Regional/State last year. He returns and will likely be top 3 if healthy. The rest of their pack is decent and has a few young guys. They lack depth, but I would certainly place them ahead of teams like Unioto, Lex, Eaton, Alder, etc.

Where is all the Defiance love coming from? They lost 1 and 5 from last year and, the returning 7-8 were closer to 19:00 than 18:00 on Tiffin. They might have been 4th out of their region last year. I have no doubt that they will be a strong team, but how does anyone think they are a top 10 to start?
Last year at regional meet 3 of top 5 were suspended included Bronson who ran a 9:19 at state to finish 5th in 2 mile. Bronson ran a15:15 today to edge out Noah Fisher by 6 seconds. Defiance had a 16:20 average today with top 7 under 17:26.

Lexington proved today they do not belong ranked that high with and 18:00 average finishing 9th out of 12 team race at Seneca East. They and Shelby (5th 17:28avg) did run with the D1 schools.

Last year at regional meet 3 of top 5 were suspended included Bronson who ran a 9:19 at state to finish 5th in 2 mile. Bronson ran a15:15 today to edge out Noah Fisher by 6 seconds. Defiance had a 16:20 average today with top 7 under 17:26.
That explains it and makes a huge difference. I'll have to go back and look at other results. Thanks

Bob Schul thoughts:
Waynesville seems pretty legit. If they can get their four/five rolling a little bit, they'll be really good. Springfield Shawnee wasn't as strong as I anticipated. Their number one seems pretty good, though. Even on a course as fast as Bob Schul, that's a great early season time. Seems like several of the teams had the same story yesterday... fairly strong 2-3 runners at the front, then a drop off.

West Liberty Salem looks great early. Nice pack up front in the smaller race. Cedarville also looks really good. They actually beat WLS at 1/2/5, but lost a lot of ground at 3/4.

Lebanon looked how you'd expect a pretty solid DI team to look in a field of mostly smaller schools. It will be interesting to see how they stack up against some of the other bigger DI schools in the area.

Too bad Duncan and Engel weren't in the same race on the girls side. Both solo sub 18. Would have been fun to see each of them have company along the way.

I believe that their #1 was out for the Regional/State last year. He returns and will likely be top 3 if healthy. The rest of their pack is decent and has a few young guys. They lack depth, but I would certainly place them ahead of teams like Unioto, Lex, Eaton, Alder, etc.
I will omit Unioto from this list since they beat Heath head to head last night at the Hartford Twilight Invite.

Looks like something was perhaps a bit off on the Loveland meet. Every top Jr High 3200 runner ran between 35 seconds and a 1:10 faster than the week before with equal weather. High school girls were setting PR's all over the place some by a minute as well vs the Moeller meet the week before. Hard to believe that.

Looks like something was perhaps a bit off on the Loveland meet. Every top Jr High 3200 runner ran between 35 seconds and a 1:10 faster than the week before with equal weather. High school girls were setting PR's all over the place some by a minute as well vs the Moeller meet the week before. Hard to believe that.

It is hard to speculate like this about any meet this early in the season.
The weather was perfect.
It was the kids 2nd or 3rd race of the season- adaptations to their training.

I would not worry too much about it. Cross country is about head to head competition. If you beat someone in the same race- then you are better.

We ran at Moeller and Loveland. The weather was definitely not the same, Saturday morning was quite near ideal temperature and overcast, for this time of year. The second major point is that Moeller was really congested and you got bottled up if you were more than 10% back. If anything I would say the Loveland course might have been a little slow as it was soggy and soft in many places. I rather liked the Loveland course, as did the kids.

The Loveland length was pretty close to legit full length 5k, at least as close to any other one.