2019 St. Ignatius Wildcats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read that Eds has 220 in their football program. I stopped to watch their scrimmage with McDowell, then watched the Cats practice.

Eds has size and talent, lots of good skill players.

Ignatius also with talent but the key skill guys go both ways- Cmiel and Welsch. Soph Waldron could really help the varsity run game IMO.

Ignatius' depth at QB looks like Hanna, then the soph French (Who looked taller than 6'0)

The schedule is just brutal. Hopefully the Wildcats can win 2 of the first 4.

The 220 number would include all sophomores and freshman as well. As far as strictly juniors and seniors, I believe that number would be around the 90 mark. If Ignatius has a varsity roster of 75, which may include a handful of sophomores, then that is definitely down from previous years. But I think that is a sign of the times. The Eagles may be experiencing a little bit of a "championship bump" in recent years in terms of the program numbers, bucking the overall trend of the sport. But most of these guys probably won't see the field much, just want to be part of the program. Lombardo has talked about the lack of depth he's seen lately, particularly in regards to the bigs. Both schools have been playing multiple guys both ways, something that they didn't really have to do in years past.

True.

I remember one of the St X guys saying they had the championship bump around their 2005 and 2007 titles. I think they had something like 70 seniors on their 2007 team.

Ignatius needs Cmiel to stay healthy, obviously. He's their best player.

McKinley will try to win in order to boost the team's confidence, and Kyle of Ignatius will shift players in and out to come with up his best line-up, not caring a whit about the score.

I expect the wildcats to come out of a meat grinder of a Region 1 this year. St. Edward and Mentor may be the favorite throughout the year to win Region 1, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the wildcats will be standing when it’s all said and done.

I have seen a confidence level unlike the wildcats teams from the last couple years. Just need Brian1227 to agree! ?

This is the scrimmage instead of the usual third for the Cats, and the Solon scrimmage was more a joint practice. Some of the timing problems have shown up, but, considering, they look okay.

I hope this game plan was designed so as not to tip off next week's opponent. I did not see Welch run the ball. A big part of Ignatius' offense in recent years has been QB runs. I don't remember seeing a planned QB run. I know passes to the TE are usually not a part of the offense but perhaps it's time to start.

The kick offs were not making it into the end zone. Kick offs into the end zone have always been a staple of Ignatius' plan. That always provided good field position.

The D line was not stopping the running game in the backfield.

Cmiel looked good. Hopefully Cook will play well. I don't believe I saw a completed pass over the middle.

I hope that McKinley is a playoff team this year. If they're not Ignatius is in big trouble.

I hope this game plan was designed so as not to tip off next week's opponent. I did not see Welch run the ball. A big part of Ignatius' offense in recent years has been QB runs. I don't remember seeing a planned QB run. I know passes to the TE are usually not a part of the offense but perhaps it's time to start.

The kick offs were not making it into the end zone. Kick offs into the end zone have always been a staple of Ignatius' plan. That always provided good field position.

Cmiel looked good. Hopefully Cook will play well. I don't believe I saw a completed pass over the middle.

I hope that McKinley is a playoff team this year. If they're not Ignatius is in big trouble.
Okay.

I was also. But, they have to improve a lot before facing the #1 team in Illinois next week in Indiana.

Other thoughts:

Nothing wrong with featuring your best player, Cmiel. He was open even when held by the McKinley db.

What kind of "game plan" is expected in a scrimmage, other than working on certain plays and keeping everyone healthy?

They have to improve every week because it's only going to get more difficult weeks 2 and 3. I don't expect a 4-0 start.

So, if not a playoff team, then winning by 20 in a scrimmage is bad? Ok

They have to improve every week because it's only going to get more difficult weeks 2 and 3. I don't expect a 4-0 start.
The first 4 weeks are insanely brutal. Would take 2-2 with a smile. All away games, 2 long travels plus at mentor and hoban. Yikes. Looking forward to attending weeks 2 and 3.

Was St.Ignatius playing there 2nd team defense the entire game?

There uniform colors were different than there offense.

Time to look forward to game #1 opponent, fellow Jesuit high school – Loyola Academy of Wilmette IL (a northern suburb of Chicago). The Ramblers are Illinois’ defending state champion in class 8A, the largest school classification in that state. They have played in 5 straight Illinois state championship games. The Ramblers are ranked #1 pre-season in Illinois

McClinton (a junior) is expected to start at QB.

The six returning starters on offense include kicker/punter Nate Van Zelst (a junior), rated one of the top kickers nationally in the class of 2021.
The other returning starters are 3 linemen (Kelly, Gianaris, Kreutz), tight end Mangan and RB Cabanban. Defensively, the Ramblers return 1 starter, DE Desherow.

Team preview
http://www.maroonandgoldsports.com/2019/football-ramblers-reload-in-defense-state-championship/

Loyola’s offense and defense schemes can be seen in this video of their 2018 state championship game victory over Chicago Brother Rice.

The best of Ohio should beat the best of Illinois, right? Ohio is a much better football State than Illinois. Certainly a whole lot deeper. I’m not saying it’s a walk in the park or anything, but I would expect tougher challenges from Hoban, Eds, St X, and Mentor. Admittedly, I know nothing about Loyola or Illinois football...so my opinion isn’t worth much. It is an away game for both teams, so no advantage there.

The best of Ohio should beat the best of Illinois, right? Ohio is a much better football State than Illinois. Certainly a whole lot deeper. I’m not saying it’s a walk in the park or anything, but I would expect tougher challenges from Hoban, Eds, St X, and Mentor. Admittedly, I know nothing about Loyola or Illinois football...so my opinion isn’t worth much. It is an away game for both teams, so no advantage there.

Theoretically that might be true, but Ignatius is hardly the best of Ohio, while Loyola is the pre-season #1 in Illinois. The Cats will have to scrap to make the playoffs, since they easily have the toughest first four games in the state ( Loyola, Mentor, Hoban, and DeMatha). And don't forget later season clashes with Moeller (in Cincy), X, and Ed's.

Cardz
I’d like to hear your perspective if football was changed to basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.