St. Edward 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you guys look in the scrimmage against Massillon?

Nobody is talking about it.

I thought it went really well. Both teams did a true half of football with their ones playing, that finished with a 14-0 score in favor of Eds. There had to be some agreement ahead of time that they were going to kill plays anytime the QB stepped up in the pocket though, cause it bit Massillon about 5-6 times. All in all good showing from the varsity group, O had a really impressive 13 play 90+ yard scoring drive. D forced two turnovers in the red zone, three total. Was nice to see CJ Hankins healthy and moving around. Massillon couldn't block Pietrowski.

After the live/game-like half, they transitioned into a more traditional scrimmage setting. Eds put the twos in on D and that's about the time Massillon's O started hitting regularly on big plays and scoring (their ones stayed in for another series or two on O). Their Jr WR going to OSU is legit, got free across the middle frequently (game half and scrimmage portion), smooth effortless athlete. Lombardo kept his ones in for an additional series on O as well.

This is the recap from Norm with more detail: https://sehseaglesfootball.blogspot.com/2019/08/eagles-win-jamboree-scrimmage-against.html

Not covered in the recap is the Frosh and JV. Was blown away the talent gap from these two in comparison to Massillon personally. Freshman team ones scored 4-5 times with what would have been a pick-six before Massillon even picked up their first first-down. Freshman scored about a dozen times in that scrimmage in total though. One of the more impressive Freshman groups I've seen come into Eds, undefeated season for them should be the goal. JV wasn't as lopsided, but JV was up 4 scores and started getting depth in before Massillon really did much on O. Soph Ramos had a really nice showing, his pocket awareness is at another level. Threw a number of nice TD passes. The Soph WR unit is really strong top to bottom.

I think it was up to each coach to ask the refs how to protect their QB. Ed QB seemed to have more leeway and even ran some on designed options, because that is part of their playbook and they prolly wanted to work on it. Moore must have asked for a VERY quick whistle on his and I don't blame him.

Slight edge to Ed, esp. in trenches, but I think fairly even overall. A bit careless on ball protection exploited a possible weakness that coaches will address, and hopefully fix. That is what scrimmages are for. Ballard, Lamp, and Longwell looked as well as expected, and so did St. Ed db's - very fast, excellent coverage. That was a good fun challenge that will benefit both groups. 3 starting captains on the OL/DL were held out and a rb (Keyes). Not sure who Ed sat.

From Friday Night Ohio:

After a 10-minute halftime, the teams came back out and traded 10-play series before the scrimmage was called during the third St. Edward possession after T.J. Williams was injured after being tackled out-of-bounds following an interception.

Wasn't going to mention that but yeah, late hit out of bounds in a scrimmage, not good. Stuff happens I guess. Hope he is ok we'll need him.

I think it was up to each coach to ask the refs how to protect their QB. Ed QB seemed to have more leeway and even ran some on designed options, because that is part of their playbook and they prolly wanted to work on it. Moore must have asked for a VERY quick whistle on his and I don't blame him.

Slight edge to Ed, esp. in trenches, but I think fairly even overall.

Definitely would agree... Could tell your fans didn't like the early whistles on Longwell (who was very good as well last night), but was pretty clear they were instructed to be quick with that whistle. Couple of those change that 14-0 halftime score imo, so agree it was probably tighter than scoreboard showed. Great scrimmage for both teams all around, hope Williams is healthy and rebounds quick for you guys.

I thought it went really well. Both teams did a true half of football with their ones playing, that finished with a 14-0 score in favor of Eds. There had to be some agreement ahead of time that they were going to kill plays anytime the QB stepped up in the pocket though, cause it bit Massillon about 5-6 times. All in all good showing from the varsity group, O had a really impressive 13 play 90+ yard scoring drive. D forced two turnovers in the red zone, three total. Was nice to see CJ Hankins healthy and moving around. Massillon couldn't block Pietrowski.

After the live/game-like half, they transitioned into a more traditional scrimmage setting. Eds put the twos in on D and that's about the time Massillon's O started hitting regularly on big plays and scoring (their ones stayed in for another series or two on O). Their Jr WR going to OSU is legit, got free across the middle frequently (game half and scrimmage portion), smooth effortless athlete. Lombardo kept his ones in for an additional series on O as well.

This is the recap from Norm with more detail: https://sehseaglesfootball.blogspot.com/2019/08/eagles-win-jamboree-scrimmage-against.html

Not covered in the recap is the Frosh and JV. Was blown away the talent gap from these two in comparison to Massillon personally. Freshman team ones scored 4-5 times with what would have been a pick-six before Massillon even picked up their first first-down. Freshman scored about a dozen times in that scrimmage in total though. One of the more impressive Freshman groups I've seen come into Eds, undefeated season for them should be the goal. JV wasn't as lopsided, but JV was up 4 scores and started getting depth in before Massillon really did much on O. Soph Ramos had a really nice showing, his pocket awareness is at another level. Threw a number of nice TD passes. The Soph WR unit is really strong top to bottom.

So you are saying St. Edward freshmen basically beat Massillon 72-0? Wow!

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION

So you are saying St. Edward freshmen basically beat Massillon 72-0? Wow!

Yes, it wasn't remotely close.. Massillon did score late, against the Eds threes, but it was pretty lopsided by then. The two freshman teams play each other in a real game here in a couple weeks. I'd be surprised if the starters play beyond the first half from what I saw yesterday.

I will add, this year's Eds freshman team is one of the biggest I've seen. Their starting OL averages something like 270-280 and with good feet.

Wasn't going to mention that but yeah, late hit out of bounds in a scrimmage, not good. Stuff happens I guess. Hope he is ok we'll need him.
Prayers for him on behalf of St. Edward Fans and community. The kid that made the play there is from what I was told this morning is a very nice and helpful young man that feels absolutely horrible. He was just hustling and lost track I really believe. Get well soon!!

Can't argue that observation E82, and w/ Ed having another great frosh class. Massillon's frosh class is not quite up to standards (many will be happy to hear). Smaller numbers and not so great 8th grade results. But, the class in front and behind (from what I hear) are pretty good so not the end of the world. Nature of the beast for most.

Looking forward to Thursday evening's contest with Mentor and a new Eagles' football season. Mentor is always a tough opponent and add in that it's a week one contest without the team enjoying time to find its personality, this game will be close. Triv's final season and he will be eager to try to win a state title in 2019.

Go Eagles!

Last edited:
I really don't think that you or anyone should post on what players will be unavailable for the week's game. Why give your opponent info so that the coaches can come up with different schemes to take advantage of any second-stringers?

I really don't think that you or anyone should post on what players will be unavailable for the week's game. Why give your opponent info so that the coaches can come up with different schemes to take advantage of any second-stringers?
Post deleted. BUT. Welcome to football at every level. College, Pros. These are pretty much college like HS teams. If you do not think these coaches do not have a way of knowing this your wrong. News travesl fast especially when all these kids are friends. I understand where your getting at but with Social Media those days are over.

Post deleted. BUT. Welcome to football at every level. College, Pros. These are pretty much college like HS teams. If you do not think these coaches do not have a way of knowing this your wrong. News travesl fast especially when all these kids are friends. I understand where your getting at but with Social Media those days are over.

Mentor had a coaches or someone scouting for them at each of the scrimmages. I agree, they know.. But also agree it's probably best not listing an entire injury report.

Maybe you guys are that , but Mentor is definitely not a college like HS team in anyway

I agree though that our coaches probably knew already. If fans can see who is absent, coaches scouting it will notice too

Hats off to Mentor for making the plays that cost the Eagles a victory last night. I have confidence that Lombardo and his staff will have the young men prepared to contend for a playoff spot by year end. However
  1. Special teams matter. While the kicking game indicates that the Eagles might have a few "legs" this year, the center to punter exchange must be a focus.
  2. Its early in, but undisciplined play exhibited in offside and roughing penalties extended drives and gave the opponent new life.
  3. Read option will be more effective if the QB exhibits a consistent willingness to run...Mentor blitzed most of the night assuming if they filled gaps, they would make just enough plays to win.
  4. O will need to find more athletes on the edge. Foster and Jackson might need to see more playing time and touches as the season matures to give opposing D's more to game plan for each week...it can't be simply a Formani heavy diet against good teams.
  5. D had similar early season issues to last year...they seemed slow sideline to sideline and they allowed Kipp to step up in the pocket to avoid edge rushers (when they weren't held) before he broke contain for long runs. Pressure needs to come from the edge and the middle to contain a QB like a "Kipp".
  6. Finally, the staff will need to guard against a team mentality of..."it's only one loss, look at what we did last year". While last year's turnaround was impressive, nothing breeds confidence more than beating a quality opponent. Play with a sense of urgency.

Go Eagles!

Last edited:
Agreed on all points Slammer. Not sure why we were so passive on defense. When Mentor (and pretty much the whole stadium) knew that O'Malley would be keeping in on a third or fourth and short situations, Mentor sold out to stop it. When it was obvious Mentor was going to keep the ball in Kipp's hands to pick up yards, we refused to blitz and allowed him to get into the second level where he made play after play.

Offensively, need to find some playmakers to prevent defenses from being so aggressive at the LOS. If not for Formani refusing to go down on first contact, many of those drives would not have been extended.

Also, anyone have an idea what the deal was on the late personal foul in the fourth quarter? I thought they were throwing a flag on a pretty egregious hold of Bixby, then the one ref signals for intentional grounding, and then they walk off yardage on a personal foul.

Was the game streamed last night? I went all through the Ed's website but couldn't find it anywhere. I'm pissed that I missed a game that went down to the final minute.

It was a roughing the passer call as the personal foul. Late hit to Kipp. And when the ref went to signal the call, they look similiar. Intentional grounding the ref has 2 arms rotating downward to the ground. For Roughing the passer, he has 1 arm rotating down to the ground. They messed up the signal at first, but never meant intentional grounding. He meant to signal roughing the passer the whole time. Just gave the wrong signal.

3rd and 22 for Mentor, Eagles go off sides, now 3 and 17, Mentor converts the long first down, eventually scores TD on the drive

4th and 8, Mentor in punt formation, Eagles go off sides again, now 4 and 3, Mentor goes for it and converts 1st down, eventually capitalizes with a TD on the drive

Two mental mistakes by the Eagle D that kept drives going. Need to clean those up.

Status
Not open for further replies.