Please post updates from the scimmages this weekend!!

Colerain vee Moeller anyone?

Colerain defense looked good. The offense struggled until the backup QB Prather went in. He was outstanding.
Colerain scored mostly through the air. I don't think Moeller scored with any of their units. They appear to need a QB desparately.

Alter updates:

Lost 3-2 to Springfield (very good match up)
Won vs Beavercreek 4-0 and vs Kings 2-0

Yes, I wouldn’t put much emphasis on the score.
Coaches approach scrimmages differently based on the makeup of their team. Also keep in mind that some teams have 50 players and other teams have 20-30. So when players 40-50 are in the game, they are playing the opponents 1st or 2nd team. Still fun to watch though.

Colerain defense looked good. The offense struggled until the backup QB Prather went in. He was outstanding.
Colerain scored mostly through the air. I don't think Moeller scored with any of their units. They appear to need a QB desparately.
Colerain is going to be terrifying defensively. Also, am I wrong to think Elder will be the best team in Cincinnati this year?

Colerain is going to be terrifying defensively. Also, am I wrong to think Elder will be the best team in Cincinnati this year?

What makes you think that? They looked awful in their loss to Colerain last year (42-0). Do they have some transfers at the skill positions?

What makes you think that? They looked awful in their loss to Colerain last year (42-0). Do they have some transfers at the skill positions?
I think they have the best offensive and defensive lines and one year yields a lot of development on the lines in high school football. Combine that with a Ramsey passing game, and you get a very good team. I still think Colerain has fat and away the best defense in Cincinnati, but Elder looks well-rounded. I’m not sure though, which is why I asked the question.

Kings has been a good D2 program for awhile now. The major difference this year is that they have a new coach for the first time in a long while and only return 7 starters.
Yeah, they still looked alright compared to years past. Not sure what to think of Alter just yet. I guess we will see what they really have in less than 2 weeks.

How did Alter look in the Springfield matchup?

They were able to move the ball down the field on Springfield. Instead of 10 plays Offense and 10 plays Defense routine, the host school, Beavercreek, had it as many plays as possible in 6 minutes. Alter stopped the run but had 2 DBs get beat on TD passes. Springfield has almost 100 kids on their roster this year. Alter definitely held their own ground vs them.

Yes, I wouldn’t put much emphasis on the score.
Coaches approach scrimmages differently based on the makeup of their team. Also keep in mind that some teams have 50 players and other teams have 20-30. So when players 40-50 are in the game, they are playing the opponents 1st or 2nd team. Still fun to watch though.

I know its just a scrimmage and you don't prepare all week for a certain opponent(s) for a quad scrimmage but it was all A's vs A's and Bs vs Bs. Alter's A's did pretty well for losing 17 starters from last year.

Thanks for the summary.

I assume Johnson started in at QB1? Does it look like they may move forward with Prather?

With the scoring passes-were they more rhythmic passes that ended in a score or via long balls?

I think they have the best offensive and defensive lines and one year yields a lot of development on the lines in high school football. Combine that with a Ramsey passing game, and you get a very good team. I still think Colerain has fat and away the best defense in Cincinnati, but Elder looks well-rounded. I’m not sure though, which is why I asked the question.

I would say Elder has as good a shot as anyone based on what is known now. On paper they have a lot of returning talent that's drawing a lot of college interest. Would need to see how the skill players and defense come along. I'm sure they'll be a tough out come November. GCL could be a meat grinder this year with everyone possibly having at least one loss in conference/potential shared championship.

In my opinion there is not a team in the region going into this season that seems to be head and shoulders above everyone else. Several teams have some pretty impressive units returning (Elder's lines, Colerain D, Princeton's D1 recruits, McClain at Fairfield) but no one seems scary across the board just yet.