Division VII Poll Voting Discussion (2019 Preseason)

I agree. Saw them in a 7 on 7 the past two years and they were a LEGIT team last year, but this years team looked nothing like last years. All their receivers are short, slow and skinny. If you say their lines will be good, that might be enough to win the BVC. However they pull Arlington, Leipsic, Pandora and Liberty Benton this year. i’m not sure i see them doing better than 2-2 in those games.
Yeah I don’t see them being much of a passing team but should be able to move the ball on the ground.

Since D7 was added in 2013, only two teams outside the MAC have won state. Those two being McComb and JFK. Based on what you're expecting from JFK, I'd have to put McComb and JFK in my top 5 since they've done it already in D7.
McComb lost a ton of talented Seniors..... anybody know how many starters do they have coming back?

Its pretty much completely arbitrary. Im guessing off of reputation more than anything. McDonald and Stuebenville CC are good examples. They both lost a ton from really good teams last year. SCC especially, they shouldn't be anywhere near as good.

wonder how they figure the ratings out

By their explanation of how they figure ratings, I'm still baffled how ML is sitting at 4. Haha. "Playoff wins are rated higher".......being that ML has beaten everyone in D6 or higher in the playoffs for the better part of the past decade, it kind of makes me wonder why I can't click on the rating. I'm typically on board for the MaxPreps ratings. They can be accurate come tourney time in basketball and football. But right now, the preseason poll looks a bit skewed.

By their explanation of how they figure ratings, I'm still baffled how ML is sitting at 4. Haha. "Playoff wins are rated higher".......being that ML has beaten everyone in D6 or higher in the playoffs for the better part of the past decade, it kind of makes me wonder why I can't click on the rating. I'm typically on board for the MaxPreps ratings. They can be accurate come tourney time in basketball and football. But right now, the preseason poll looks a bit skewed.
There’s not enough data, especially not qualitative data (who returns who, who transfers in, what is the consequent net production of who returns/comes in) for these to be that significant or meaningful.

There’s not enough data, especially not qualitative data (who returns who, who transfers in, what is the consequent net production of who returns/comes in) for these to be that significant or meaningful.
great point...my thoughts exactly

MSML belongs no lower than #2.

McComb lost alot of their main skill position players, but have a majority of their line back. Pandora lost a ton. Leipsic probabably has as much back as anyone and Arlington will be there too. One thing to consider with D7 teams is there is an influx of teams now going to 8 man football, this is a schedule wrecker as some schools are just announcing they are going to 8 man, and that sends schools scrambling to fill now vacant dates. Probably see more than one team with only 9 or 8 regular season games because of this. Holgate, Sandusky St. Mary's and Toledo Christian are 3 schools that's gone to 8 man.

So you saying one of us Marion Local sandbaggers work for max preps now.....Just maybe max preps knows what we have been
saying all along, WE WILL BE DOWN this year........No where near the firepower on offense that we have been accustomed to
at ML...... Will have to rely on our defense.....

So you saying one of us Marion Local sandbaggers work for max preps now.....Just maybe max preps knows what we have been
saying all along, WE WILL BE DOWN this year........No where near the firepower on offense that we have been accustomed to
I heard MaxPreps is all put together in one of the back rooms at the Mueller Brew bar...

That seems to be a popular opinion. You think they could take R26?

I could very easily see them coming out on top of R26, especially with everyone thinking McComb and P-G are still towards the top. Based off of returning players from those 3 teams that I know of, Patrick Henry will be the team to beat in that region.

My Updated D7 Regional Contenders (Winners in bold):

R25
TIER ONE - McDonald, Lucas, Warren JFK & Cuyahoga Heights
TIER TWO - Tuscarawas CC, Steubenville CC, Windham & South Central

R26
TIER ONE - McComb, Edgerton, Patrick Henry, Convoy Crestview, Leipsic, Pandora-Gilboa & Mohawk
TIER TWO - Norwalk St. Paul, Tiffin Calvert & Arlington

R27
TIER ONE - Harvest Prep, Shadyside & Newark Catholic
TIER TWO - Fisher Catholic, Berne Union & Waterford

R28
TIER ONE - Marion Local & Fort Loramie
TIER TWO - New Bremen, Antwerp, Tri-County North & Delphos St. Johns

Last edited:
Haha!

"MaxPreps does not poll coaches, sportswriters or fans. Nor does our staff make any judgments on the merits of any individual team. Prior season history, school size and comments on message boards are not considered in the MaxPreps Computer Rankings "

Pretty sure what I am saying is that by their ranking metrics, none of your sandbagging comes into play. Therefore, a team that has been in State every year since 2011 and has not lost to a D7 school since the creation of D7, and just came off of a state runner up year in D6 after a few state titles in a row.....by those metrics, Maxpreps rankings do not make sense.

As for the Marion Local faithful saying "WE WILL BE DOWN", that's pretty sad for the kids and community that know nothing but success. And for the coaches that put time and energy into training. If you aren't a lock to win the MAC, then I would agree. If you aren't the favorite to win state, then I would strongly disagree until Coach Goodwin shows Ohio otherwise.

McComb lost alot of their main skill position players, but have a majority of their line back. Pandora lost a ton. Leipsic probabably has as much back as anyone and Arlington will be there too. One thing to consider with D7 teams is there is an influx of teams now going to 8 man football, this is a schedule wrecker as some schools are just announcing they are going to 8 man, and that sends schools scrambling to fill now vacant dates. Probably see more than one team with only 9 or 8 regular season games because of this. Holgate, Sandusky St. Mary's and Toledo Christian are 3 schools that's gone to 8 man.
How much of the McComb defensive line is coming back? They were grown men last year. Curious if anyone knows how many D linemen are back in the fold.

How much of the McComb defensive line is coming back? They were grown men last year. Curious if anyone knows how many D linemen are back in the fold.
There is 4 of them back but one of those 4 only played when they were in a 5-3 defense. One of the starting D tackles from last year moved to middle linebacker.

There is 4 of them back but one of those 4 only played when they were in a 5-3 defense. One of the starting D tackles from last year moved to middle linebacker.
If McComb is returning the majority of that defensive line, then I would put them in there with some of the other contenders to make a deep run in the playoffs. Teams couldn't run on them. They were one of the most impressive D lines in the state in division 7 last year.

IF the Flyers make the playoffs they will be a tough out, but I don't see them slipping in unless the region is incredibly weak.

IF the Flyers make the playoffs they will be a tough out, but I don't see them slipping in unless the region is incredibly weak.
Haha. Yes....if they make the playoffs ;)

St. Johns, Fort Loramie, Ansonia.....ummm......I'm not real sure who else will make the playoffs, but these teams usually have a shot. That's probably their biggest region 28 competition. No offense to certain programs, but ML could have a .500 record in the MAC/reg season and roll through region 28. Minster, Crestview, etc. are no longer in there.