The Official 2019 Cincinnati Reds Thread

3/4 or a sweep would had been preferred, but after the loss Thursday, taking the next 2/3 was vital. Still in this thing. The team that is amazing me is the Brewers, they have very, very weak starting pitching and they are just hanging around.
I'll say this, the Cubs may end up winning the division, but they are far from a contender for the NL crown and make it to the world series. Their starting pitching is ok at best, their bullpen, while good when it had to be this weekend, is bad overall, and they can get in a roll on offense, but are up and down. I still feel the Dodgers and Braves are far and a way the best teams in the NL.

Kind of a typical Reds series this year, combined score over the 4 games, Reds 23, Cubs 21. Split series. Reds run differential for the season +39.

I think the overall talent coming thru the farm system is generally better than it has been in past years. Talent always makes coaching look good!:cool:
And sometimes you just get flat lucky. Aquino was taken off the 40 man roster last winter, available to ALL 30 teams, he was not picked up. He was signed with the Reds again and put in Triple A, but not on anyone's radar in the big club. Puig was traded, he was having some success in Louisville, so they took a chance to see him in action, and he's been off the charts. Is this coaching, or just a guy who finally got a chance and is on an incredible hot streak??

And sometimes you just get flat lucky. Aquino was taken off the 40 man roster last winter, available to ALL 30 teams, he was not picked up. He was signed with the Reds again and put in Triple A, but not on anyone's radar in the big club. Puig was traded, he was having some success in Louisville, so they took a chance to see him in action, and he's been off the charts. Is this coaching, or just a guy who finally got a chance and is on an incredible hot streak??
Aquino set the record for Home runs at Louisville. He was definitely "on the radar".
It's not like he was some random guy they called up. Van Meter was the same. He was mashing so they gave him a shot. Ditto O'Grady.

Aquino has made it very clear that it was time spent with Barry Larkin in the cage this spring and a change to his stance that has lead to his success so clearly it was coaching.

3/4 or a sweep would had been preferred, but after the loss Thursday, taking the next 2/3 was vital. Still in this thing. The team that is amazing me is the Brewers, they have very, very weak starting pitching and they are just hanging around.
I'll say this, the Cubs may end up winning the division, but they are far from a contender for the NL crown and make it to the world series. Their starting pitching is ok at best, their bullpen, while good when it had to be this weekend, is bad overall, and they can get in a roll on offense, but are up and down. I still feel the Dodgers and Braves are far and a way the best teams in the NL.
Of course the Dodgers and Braves are the two best teams in the NL. Their records prove it. It doesn't mean they can't be beat in a series.

Aquino set the record for Home runs at Louisville. He was definitely "on the radar".
It's not like he was some random guy they called up. Van Meter was the same. He was mashing so they gave him a shot. Ditto O'Grady.

Aquino has made it very clear that it was time spent with Barry Larkin in the cage this spring and a change to his stance that has lead to his success so clearly it was coaching.
I think he may have gotten a wake up call when the Reds exposed him as well. Whatever the reason, he’s locked in right now. Let’s hope he’s not a flash in the pan.

Disappointing ending to Sunday. 3-0 with Luis cruising. In the fateful 7th, Castillo gave up a GABP pop-fly double off the wall, two groundouts to score the run, and then Heyward's weak chopper that he beat out. Not sure why you pull him there, especially with the pen struggling so bad. I realize that hindsight is always 20-20, but gotta question the move. Nothing that inning made me think Castillo was done, he was not being hit hard and had not walked anyone that inning...

Apparently as late as the last offseason, he wasn't in the plans. I'm just happy he's up now and is producing. Looking long term the outfield looks pretty solid with Winker/ Senzel / Aquino, with Ervin / VanMeter backing up. For those of you who've been Reds fans for more than a few years, can you remember a guy who's made the splash like Aquino has? It's like folk hero stuff.

I think he may have gotten a wake up call when the Reds exposed him as well. Whatever the reason, he’s locked in right now. Let’s hope he’s not a flash in the pan.
It doesn't sound like he will be.
For anyone interested in his background/and interaction with the Reds' coaching staff in spring training, as well as some history, this fills in some of the blanks:

I haven't seen anything about his interactions with Barry Larkin. Perhaps I have just missed it.

Last edited:
Apparently as late as the last offseason, he wasn't in the plans. I'm just happy he's up now and is producing. Looking long term the outfield looks pretty solid with Winker/ Senzel / Aquino, with Ervin / VanMeter backing up. For those of you who've been Reds fans for more than a few years, can you remember a guy who's made the splash like Aquino has? It's like folk hero stuff.
Didn't you think that the answer to the Reds outfield was the lately departed Billy Hamilton -- who is currently hitting .211 with a OBP of .275? Isn't it a travesty that he isn't occupying a starting spot in the Reds' outfield?
You must think so -- because you have never said that you were wrong about keeping him as the starting CF.

Absoluty. He's putting up incredible numbers. I'd be pretty happy if he turns out to be a 30HR 90 RBI Guy hitting .275

Agreed we would all happily "settle" for annual numbers like 30/90/.275. Aquino has great physical gifts but he cannot possibly stay as hot as he is. The league always comes up with a plan for you once they have you on film.

Didn't you think that the answer to the Reds outfield was the lately departed Billy Hamilton -- who is currently hitting .211 with a OBP of .275? Isn't it a travesty that he isn't occupying a starting spot in the Reds' outfield?
You must think so -- because you have never said that you were wrong about keeping him as the starting CF.
No doubt I'm a big Billy fan, but unfortunately he's like alot of major leaguers, his paycheck is now bigger than he's producing. I honestly would LOVE the Reds, as a contender next season, to pick him up on a major league minimum (not sure what his contract status is) but he'd be a great late game defensive replacement, or pinch runner. This team is dying for some speed. Also, Nick Senzel was going to originally be our 2nd baseman of the future, so don't rule out our need for a full time centerfielder.
And why would I say I was w-w-w-w-r-r-r-ong about Billy??? He was the premier defensive centerfielder, and a guy who a potential rally starter. Now he should had been a #7, #8 hitter all along instead of leadoff, but he could score runs when he got on base. Unforutnatley it was too rare. Defensively I wouldn't want anyone else in centerfield.

Interesting the Reds would pick up Freddy Galvis. Maybe they are ready to move on from Peraza? His numbers are not great. But he can play middle infield and outfield.

Agreed we would all happily "settle" for annual numbers like 30/90/.275. Aquino has great physical gifts but he cannot possibly stay as hot as he is. The league always comes up with a plan for you once they have you on film.
Of course he can't keep up this pace... No player ever has.

If the end wasn't near before, it certainly is getting closer day by day with each loss. The chances were remote to begin with. So we just need to sit back and enjoy the staff we can run out day to day, and we need to just continue to look at improving the team for 2020. One thing I think that's changed from even a few weeks ago is that we appear to have a solid right field candidate for 2020. I don't think a month ago Aquino was on the radar map for next year, or he was just one of a bunch. I think you can clearly write him in the lineup for next season. So at this time, the middle of your order is looking like Votto, Suarez, Aquino. For some reason Bell is trying to fit VanMeter in a power spot and last night he had him in the cleanup spot. And maybe he is a power guy, but I think I'd have Aquino in the cleanup spot until he cools off.

Interesting the Reds would pick up Freddy Galvis. Maybe they are ready to move on from Peraza? His numbers are not great. But he can play middle infield and outfield.

Galvis serves no purpose other than filling in occasionally, since J Iglesias has been dinged up. It has nothing to do with "moving on from Peraza". Galvis has a career OBP of .290. He is Billy Hamilton at SS, with a little more power (15 HR per year) and way less speed. He will not be on the team next year. Hopefully.

All I can figure with Galvis is that the Reds aren't going to pay big $$$ to Iglesias to stay, so he's insurance for that. Obviously, the Reds aren't sold on Peraza at SS (mediocre defense, inconsistent bat).
Yes, offensively Galvis is Billy Hamilton without the speed. Everywhere he's gone, though, he has played stellar defense at SS. At a cost of $4M this year (pro-rated of course) and $5M next year, I think he's a keeper for 2020 like it or not.
At first I thought "Wha'?" but after giving it some thought, I'm still not thrilled. We'll see.
It's a long way to 2020 -- not to mention next year's trading deadline. I see the Reds re-tooling some then as well.

Galvis serves no purpose other than filling in occasionally, since J Iglesias has been dinged up. It has nothing to do with "moving on from Peraza". Galvis has a career OBP of .290. He is Billy Hamilton at SS, with a little more power (15 HR per year) and way less speed. He will not be on the team next year. Hopefully.
Could be an insurance policy if they can't get a deal done with Iglesias. Galvis, like Peraza, playes infield and outfield.

Well, Galvis has played a total of 10 innings in the outfield in the last 6 seasons (in 2 games in 2017). Other than that, he has not played the OF at all since filling in in 2013. I'm not sure that qualifies as "playes" infield and outfield.
But, define it however you want. I just think that folks on here like to hear the facts as they exist.

Could be an insurance policy if they can't get a deal done with Iglesias. Galvis, like Peraza, playes infield and outfield.

Galvis is 29, has like 7 MLB seasons under his belt, and is clearly a glove-first SS. Not an outfielder. Offensively, after 7 years, .290 OBP.

Peraza is 25, more versatile, and has way more upside offensively. He is also cheaper and under control. The one year he played full-time, he hit 14 HR with .320 OBP. Not great, but certainly better than Galvis.

Easy decision in my book, if you are choosing which guy to bet on. I agree with the idea he may be insurance for Iglesias if Reds cannot re-sign him.

For me, this is not an easy choice at all. Peraza has had seasons in which he has hit decently, but he hasn't exactly covered himself with glory offensively during his career -- .275 BA, .313 OBP, .641 OPS. Defensively, he hasn't won a lot of plaudits either, leading the NL in errors at SS in 2018 for example. I'm not sure that giving him the everyday SS job is going to be a move that takes the Reds to the postseason.

Of course, Galvis isn't exactly Barry Larkin either. His comparable stats to Peraza's are less attractive -- .248/.291/.674 -- but not by a whole lot. Defensively is where the difference lies between the two. A look at both players' defensive stats shows a pretty big difference between the two.

I imagine the Reds are going to use both next year. After all, both can play around the infield wherever needed. At trading deadline time, if Galvis hasn't been the answer, then a goodbye is easily done.