Coach Gentry wasn’t lying

It is what it is people. It sucks, but recruiting is here to stay. Very sad, but true. When your local win, it sooo much sweeter !

who is the transfer from taylor? i saw them at nku. they only had 6 or 7 guys there. they got whipped by pick central. is the taylor transfer the white kid that played?

they did have a kid in a boot that didn't play.

jtk
()

Each school must verifying the move in kid satisfys the OHSAA transfer rules. So can't the OHSAA see that 3,4,or 5 transfers all are going to the same school and low and behold, they all play basketball and by coinsidece, they all played on the same AAU team and guess who the coach was? Believe me, DP isn't the only school doing this.

Each school must verifying the move in kid satisfys the OHSAA transfer rules. So can't the OHSAA see that 3,4,or 5 transfers all are going to the same school and low and behold, they all play basketball and by coinsidece, they all played on the same AAU team and guess who the coach was? Believe me, DP isn't the only school doing this.

Will be interesting to see what happens at Deer Park. Also, Woodward has a team full of transfers, how many will have to sit? Moeller has a key player who is a transfer, will he have to sit? Taft has a key transfer as well. Is everyone going to make a mockery of the transfer rule?

Why would we expect that the OHSAA do anything different this time when they did nothing 2 years ago when they had 9 "transfers". It's an honors (or lack of honor) system and when you have a coach and school administration perfectly willing to look the other way it makes a joke of the system.

I'm not sure that addresses my point. There are other open-enrollment districts in the CHL; none of them turn their roster over every year or two with a full lineup of new players.

The association needs to work from the letter of the law (whether they can do this adequately is a question, of course). My thoughts on the league are that repeated violations in spirit should provoke a rethink even if DP manages to avoid getting cited. Some leagues are full of schools that push the envelope; this hasn't been one of them.

But if they became an open enrollment school system, DP wouldnt have to fabricate the addresses and jump thru hoops to satisfy OHSAA requirements. Kids could live wherever and still go to DP.

It's a tiny community and school district. No way all these kids are legit moving into the district and if so, they should still have to sit 50% of schedule.

Which is why there should be separate public and private championships. Different rules. different resources, different models. Why are these schools competing against each other?

Should public open enrollment schools also have a separate tournament from districts who do not allow open enrollment? they also have different rules and models right?

Should public open enrollment schools also have a separate tournament from districts who do not allow open enrollment? they also have different rules and models right?

Yes. Go to 6 divisions for basketball. Large school/small school private, large/small public closed, large/small public open. Forget all the transfer rules since everyone skirts them anyway.

Yes. Go to 6 divisions for basketball. Large school/small school private, large/small public closed, large/small public open. Forget all the transfer rules since everyone skirts them anyway.

How does this solve the problem, if by public open and public closed you mean open enrollment or not? Deer Park and Trotwood both do not have open enrollment, but yet have players from outside the district and a CB # of 0.

Not sure your solution solves that problem.

Deer Park should simply become an open enrollment school system.

This does not fix this issue. OHSAA rules on transfering into a district with open enrollment still has specific guidelines around eligibility. If they move into the district and don't meet one of the exemption guidelines they will not be eligible.

This does not fix this issue. OHSAA rules on transfering into a district with open enrollment still has specific guidelines around eligibility. If they move into the district and don't meet one of the exemption guidelines they will not be eligible.

Not true. If you move into a district you are eligible right away. You mean if they were to open enroll at Deer Park after starting high school somewhere else they would still have to meet the criteria for exceptions.

Not true. If you move into a district you are eligible right away.

It's not that simple. If you move into a district but leave your parents behind in the old home, are you eligible right away? If you move into a district so you can play high school basketball under your AAU coach, are you eligible right away?

Will Indian Hill have four or five transfers moving in to play basketball this year? Madeira? Finneytown? Anybody reading this can probably fill in 10-15 names of local schools that won't, and if you can't, just list a few of the under .500 teams in your area.

As bad as its admittedly gotten, most schools still aren't probing the edges of the transfer rule. We don't pay much attention to them, they aren't still around late in the tournament. They do make up the majority of DP's schedule, though, which is maybe relevant to the discussion.

One of my son’s closest friends transferred midway through high school- talented kid who did well at a D1 college- and I found out what the exemption they used was after he had graduated. It was ridiculous- absolute nonsense, but he played without sitting like so many do under false reporting.. I never said anything to the family or the kid or even my son, but I certainly never looked at them the same after that. I never questioned before that if they were good people- they felt like that is what they had to do for their kid, but it lacked character and sent a horrible message to their son.

Steve Gentry is a good coach. It's amazing to read these double standards throughout all the sports. If parents decide to move in a school district that is their business. When they won state the state made sured all those kids were in district. Minorities coaches should be given credit just like we up held the others. Quit hating on Deer Park and Steve Gentry, he is a great high school bastketball coach.

Steve Gentry is a good coach. It's amazing to read these double standards throughout all the sports. If parents decide to move in a school district that is their business. When they won state the state made sured all those kids were in district. Minorities coaches should be given credit just like we up held the others. Quit hating on Deer Park and Steve Gentry, he is a great high school bastketball coach.

Can we quit with the race thing? Nobody is frustrated about this because an African American coach had success. The story line would still be the same if coach Gentry was Caucasian. It is a public school, in a small town league, where you can not recruit. So we can stop the Moeller parallels as well.

Everyone is simply questioning, and rightfully so, how it is that an entire team of brand new players simply up and moved to DP and were all immediately eligible right after he became coach. One or two players, ok maybe that passes as coincidence. 6 or 7 families with talented basketball players just all randomly decide DP is the place for their next step, right after Gentry becomes coach, come on. Nobody believes this was on the up and up. Sure maybe DP has the paperwork to validate that players 'moved', but the OHSAA isn't an investigative body. They don't have resources to validate these families legitimately moved, and whether those moves were prompted by athletics.

So no, it's not that people don't respect coach Gentry because his race. They don't respect the highly suspect way in which DP rosters come together.

Can we quit with the race thing? Nobody is frustrated about this because an African American coach had success. The story line would still be the same if coach Gentry was Caucasian. It is a public school, in a small town league, where you can not recruit. So we can stop the Moeller parallels as well.

Everyone is simply questioning, and rightfully so, how it is that an entire team of brand new players simply up and moved to DP and were all immediately eligible right after he became coach. One or two players, ok maybe that passes as coincidence. 6 or 7 families with talented basketball players just all randomly decide DP is the place for their next step, right after Gentry becomes coach, come on. Nobody believes this was on the up and up. Sure maybe DP has the paperwork to validate that players 'moved', but the OHSAA isn't an investigative body. They don't have resources to validate these families legitimately moved, and whether those moves were prompted by athletics.

So no, it's not that people don't respect coach Gentry because his race. They don't respect the highly suspect way in which DP rosters come together.
Exactly! It's such a ridiculous, tired argument. 99.9% of us couldn't care less what color his skin is...just stop

To respond back to Vike- no I do not question the character of someone who transferred high schools. I do question the character of parents who lie about the reason in order to make sure their kid gets to play right away. That’s cheating and I am not cool with cheaters.
Also keep in mind to those saying that people can’t know the reason the DP players transferred there- one Of the players went on television and flat out said “I came to DP to play basketball for coach Gentry”. That is an absolute violation of the bylaws.

To respond back to Vike- no I do not question the character of someone who transferred high schools. I do question the character of parents who lie about the reason in order to make sure their kid gets to play right away. That’s cheating and I am not cool with cheaters.
Also keep in mind to those saying that people can’t know the reason the DP players transferred there- one Of the players went on television and flat out said “I came to DP to play basketball for coach Gentry”. That is an absolute violation of the bylaws.

I personally think a kid should be able to transfer anywhere for any reason as long as it's not during season...why wouldn't DP simply go open enrollment..athletes should play by same rules as coaches, teachers, scholars, drama kids ,band members, administrators, etc,etc.....with that being said I'd like to separate open enrollment schools and schools where it's simply kids from their given district during tourney time.

So then Mahaffey will be sitting for the second half of the year at Moeller this year right?

So if poor ole OHSAA doesn't have the resources, why do they enforce rules that they can't investigate smh. I just think people have 0 proof that Gentry is breaking the rules, other than assumptions

I have 0 proof that this is about race, but people may assume that it is when you have a black coach / black kids and a mostly white neighborhood like it or not.

If he has broken the rules it will come out sooner or later. If he hasn't just try to beat DP the old fashioned way by playing basketball