Southwestern Buckeye League 2019 season thread

Bless Em All

Looks like the SWBL has 2 years left in the current format. Who seems to be favorites in both sides this upcoming Football season?

Thoughts? Please let's keep this civil and above board. Most SWBL posters on here have been here many years and we all know how rabid we all are about our hometown teams.

Milton, Dixie and Ridge are leaving after 2020. It would be great for one of those 3 to win a final SWBL title.

I was around for Milton's first exit from the SWBL back in 1982, and it's going to be odd to see it again.

Best of luck this year. Let's hear about scrimmages, 7 on 7 scrimmages and other news of importance.

Let's hear about your team....
I'll start with Milton-Union.

Should have 52-55 on the roster. 58 signed up to-date.

Offense. MU will,technically, only return 3 starters (2 OL and AJ Lovin at RB), But Brumbaugh started 3 games at QB, Lambert 2 at RB, and Ruby 2 at OL. 2 other spots will probably be filled by kids who lettered on D last year. So we could have 8 returning lettermen on O and only 3 new players.

Defense. MU will return 8 starters (2/3 DL, All 4 LB, 2/4 DB). Replacing Schenck at NG will not be easy, but only needing 3 new players is great!

Road games vs. East, Oakwood, Madison, Waynesville are all going to determine MU's season. Valley View and Carlisle at home will help.

MU Schedule:
Miami East (A)
Oakwood (A)
Northwestern (H)
Northridge (H)
Madison (A)
Waynesville (A)
Preble Shawnee (H)
Valley View (H)
Dixie (A)
Carlisle (H)
Tough schedule for the Dogs.

Football Chatter

Looks like the Bulldogs have tough way to go with Madison and Waynesville back to back on the road and Valley View being the crossover game.

Not so fast......

Bellbrook won the league last year,Franklin 2nd and they drilled Valley View. All 3 teams have a lot coming back .I think it will be a slugfest with those 3 again.

Valley view also has that outstanding Freshman class coming up. I don’t know how many will play varsity this year but vv should be good for a few years

MU also has a great Frosh class coming up. Could be nice to see those two in the playoffs in the next 2-3 years.

Valley View will be a very solid all around team. I expect them to go 8-2, 9-1 and to host a playoff game

Valley View will be a very solid all around team. I expect them to go 8-2, 9-1 and to host a playoff game

I'm just curious as to what potential losses you are thinking. I only ask because I think VV has a tough schedule, not because I don't believe you. Fort Recovery as a non conference game could certainly be a loss. Then that leaves a loss to Franklin/Bellbrook possibly?

Ft Recovery will be their toughest game in my opinion. Franklin and Bellbrook should be good as well. Brookville is coached well. Milton is a wildcard this year. Don’t overlook the Dogs.

I'm just curious as to what potential losses you are thinking. I only ask because I think VV has a tough schedule, not because I don't believe you. Fort Recovery as a non conference game could certainly be a loss. Then that leaves a loss to Franklin/Bellbrook possibly?
Those are exactly the teams highlighted on the schedule. Don’t want to rule anyone out but those are the three toughest games.

Madison's McKrayson Martin is playing football again thanks to some life changes along the way … check out my feature on the just-launched Southwest Ohio Sports Daily

Two a days starting tomorrow and the first game for most schools are 4 weeks from Friday . Franklin will open at Middletown Madison and optimism is high in Wildcat country! Several good receivers, running backs and QB returning. OL looks solid with great size. They have 2 place kickers that are consistent from 40 yards and in. Scrimmages just around the corner. How about some scouting reports from other SWBL schools?

Those are exactly the teams highlighted on the schedule. Don’t want to rule anyone out but those are the three toughest games.

Agreed. Valley View should have an opportunity to have a nice season this year. FR, BB, and Franklin will be the biggest games on the slate. The Fort Recovery game should be a great one. That series is 1-1 with two quality games, I expect this year to be the best game yet.

Taking a stab at how both divisions end up:

SW Division:
1. Franklin
2. Valley View
3. Bellbrook
4. Brookville
5. Monroe
6. Oakwood
7. Eaton

Buckeye Division:
1. Madison
2. Waynesville
3. Milton Union
4. Carlisle
5. Northridge
6. Preble Shawnee
7. Dixie

To be honest, outside of Franklin, Valley View, Bellbrook, and Brookville, I don't know what we'll get out of the rest of the league. There were some really rough teams that struggled badly last season like Eaton, Oakwood, Monroe, Carlisle, Preble Shawnee, Northridge, Dixie, etc. Of those 7 teams, Northridge had the most wins at 5 but a lot of that had to do with how weak their schedule was. What teams can we expect to rebound this year? Carlisle perhaps, maybe Oakwood?

Let me stab too.

SW:
Valley view
Franklin
Bellbrook
Brookville
Oakwood
Monroe
Eaton

Buckeye:
Milton-Union
Madison
Waynesville
Northridge
Carlisle
Preble Shawnee
Dixie

MU returns some key players on defense and has some new and extremely talented faces on offense. If the Dogs get into a rhythm watch out. Madison and Waynesville are both tough and will be right there with MU.
Next year MU will be looking at a deep playoff run.
Rebounding this year should be Carlisle and Oakwood. You never know what the Jacks will have and Carlisle has a great coach. Still a year or two away. Valley View should be loaded this year. Franklin is the big fish and with that comes plenty of talent. Madison lost a great senior class but the talent is still there. Waynesville was young last year and so should be talented.

Not sure what Monroe has returning from last year, but the new coach has the kids working really hard in the weight room. I believe the plan is to run the triple option and 50 defense. Coach actually has a job within the school which should help. I think there is finally some pride being put back in the program but it’s hard to predict wins until the lights are on.

Not that it matters much. But I believe Shawnee could be better this year. I don't think they will contend to win the Buckeye division, but I could see them finishing more mid pack and not at the bottom. They won't beat MU, Madison or Waynesville, but I think they could beat the other teams this year. Their Senior class is pretty good. They return their QB, their RB that ran for 1100 yards and 14 TD's, as well as the Tutt kid that's a good WR/DB that had 10 INT's last season. They also had 2 offensive lineman that got 1st/2nd team last year that were both Juniors and will be back.

Not sure what Monroe has returning from last year, but the new coach has the kids working really hard in the weight room. I believe the plan is to run the triple option and 50 defense. Coach actually has a job within the school which should help. I think there is finally some pride being put back in the program but it’s hard to predict wins until the lights are on.

Gonna be a tough move from the spread based offense to the triple option. I think it's going to be tough sledding for the next couple of years. At the youth camp they were repping it pretty hard with the junior high kids and they seemed to have moved the right kids to the QB position. If they're going to have some success I look for it to be down the road. I wasn't very impressed with the overall organization of the youth camp and I hope it's not an indication of how practice is being ran. If so, success down the road is probably just a pipe dream.

Seriously? What in the world is going on there? There is no reason why a school that size should not have almost twice that number of kids coming out. At least we did when I graduated.
I don't get it either. I don't know what the issue is in Eaton. A decent size school with great facilities. Eaton also has had some tradition and won a lot of football games through the 90's up until about 5 years ago. I keep thinking Eaton will get things moving in the right direction again, I just don't know when that will be.

I think Eaton is experiencing what a lot of schools are right now. Lazy kids and parents fearful of concussions. It's an epidemic and that's why you might see 8-man football before soon.
The further pussification of the USA.

I think Eaton is experiencing what a lot of schools are right now. Lazy kids and parents fearful of concussions. It's an epidemic and that's why you might see 8-man football before soon.
The further pussification of the USA.
I talked to some friends from Eaton about this to get their opinion. Sounds like the Senior class this year is very weak with numbers, but the numbers are pretty good at the Jr High level. They will have 40-50 kids playing in the Jr High. The hopes are that they are about 2-3 years from seeing better numbers and being back to the point to where they are more competitive. This could be another tough year though.

MU has seen the same thing. We have a Freshman class that is loaded. Should be ok for 4-5 years. Movement in this league has caused some scheduling issues I guess.
MU has their new schedule for 20-21-22 started. The rest of the TRC will be done soon I hear. What are the remaining SWBL members looking at? I know MU has Oakwood and Valley View on the schedule after we leave the SWBL. Anyone else have some future schedules they can share?

Polar Bears finally get it going this year and win the league title.
I don't know much about Northridge, but from the outside it appears that they lost a decent amount. 6 of the 7 Northridge players that received all league accolades last year were Seniors.. including 4 players that were 1st Team All League.

Gonna be a tough move from the spread based offense to the triple option. I think it's going to be tough sledding for the next couple of years. At the youth camp they were repping it pretty hard with the junior high kids and they seemed to have moved the right kids to the QB position. If they're going to have some success I look for it to be down the road. I wasn't very impressed with the overall organization of the youth camp and I hope it's not an indication of how practice is being ran. If so, success down the road is probably just a pipe dream.

If they can play good defense, they may be able to stay in more games due to a more ball control offense. Hard to judge a first year head coach over how a youth camp was run, if this was a veteran coach I would have more reason to be worried. I have a good feeling about Mullins, seems to have the numbers in the weight room up. There is no doubt that the triple option will have it's pains in year 1, but I expect the team to be competitive.