Milford: could be VERY good.
Kings and Loveland BOTH have huge and solid good groups of juniors

All Turpin...
unless...they stick with the zone only D
unless... Walnut gets new recruits
unless...WC gets some dudes around THEIR big man
Milford: could be VERY good.
Kings and Loveland BOTH have huge and solid good groups of juniors

Saw kings this summer and they looked really bad. Maybe they were missing some guys...

Good time to look and see how much the ECC varsity teams return for the 2019-20 season (based on playing in at least 10 games and averaging at least 1 ppg). Doesn't count schools who have transfers:

#1-- Turpin 35.9 ppg--Holt 15.1, Spencer 7.2, Bell 4.4, Shetler 3.5, Cantrella 3.2, Tyszkiewicz 1.3

#2-- Walnut Hills 28.4--Smith 12.6, Grant 7.8, Miller 3.8, Murphy 1.7, Poynter 1.3, Borgmann 1.2

#3-- Withrow 28.1--Mason 11.7, Whatley 8.2, Edwards 4.1, Diop 2.1, Lamb 2.0

#4-- W. Clermont 24.7--Ames 10.2, Vianello 9.6, Turner 2.5, Wilzbach 2.4

#5-- Loveland 19.3--Foust 7.0, Cox 5.8, Hedgepeth 3.8, Soth 1.9, Towle 1.8

#6-- Anderson 17.6--Camden 9.0, Kelly 4.0, Overbeek 3.6

#7-- Milford 8.1--Liles 8.1

#8-- Kings 6.8--Barnett 4.9, Connaroe 1.9

Obviously JV players moving up may contribute right away and the unexpected transfer player that arrives over the summer can alter outcomes--appears that Turpin will be the pre-season favorite after going 11-3 and 2nd place this past year. Walnut and Withrow should be the top challengers for Turpin next season. West Clermont (must replace 29 ppg), Loveland (replace 36 ppg)and Anderson (replace 25 ppg) will likely be in the 4th-6th range. Milford and Kings have to replace major graduation losses with Milford losing 43 ppg of scoring and Kings 39 ppg--gonna need massive help from JV squads.

I would favor Turpin as the preseason favorite. Although I am anxious to see how Holt plays without Haddad, who received a lot of attention. I would say Walnut will probably be my 2nd choice with Smith and Grant inside, plus they played a lot of freshman and sophomores last year. Plus their JH program is the best in the ECC. I think Milford and WC will round out the top 4.

I would favor Turpin as the preseason favorite. Although I am anxious to see how Holt plays without Haddad, who received a lot of attention. I would say Walnut will probably be my 2nd choice with Smith and Grant inside, plus they played a lot of freshman and sophomores last year. Plus their JH program is the best in the ECC. I think Milford and WC will round out the top 4.

i forgot about smith at Walnut...the guy can put the ball in the bucket!

Turpin, Walnut, and West Clermont are easily the class of the league. My money's on Turpin. Walnut inevitably will find a transfer (or two) to complement their inside strength. Does WC have enough to surround the big guy? A lot of their scoring and depth graduated last year, and their JV and freshman teams were pretty bad last season.

Loveland, Withrow, Milford are in the next tier. Loveland has five rising seniors coming back and all of them played heavy varsity minutes last year. Withrow has size and plenty of experience coming back. Milford lost a lot from last year but their JV was decent, and they're always solid.

Kings and Anderson are gonna be terrible again.

What makes you think he's solid? He's been there how long 4-5 yrs.? 3 straight seasons with a losing record. Maybe 1 year they had a winning record. Turpin is now ruling that district.

AHS since 2015 had 11 wins, 14 wins, 10 wins, 10 wins, 2 wins = 47 wins (9.4 per year)

Turpin since 2015 had 17 wins, 7 wins, 6 wins, 5 wins, 18 wins = 53 wins (10.6 per year)

Turpin averaging 1 more win per year and AHS won more games than Turpin 3 of the 5 years. Pretty even performance overall.

Two small D-1 schools in the same district splits the talent on a very cyclical basis. Combining 2 high schools (Glen Este and Amelia) has made quite a difference for West Clermont the past two years in the ECC and overall--maybe Forest Hills does that someday--until then it's very tough for Turpin, Anderson and Kings to compete year in and year out vs. much bigger D-1 schools in the ECC.

Turpin trending up with a young coach who appears to be pretty good. I'm just asking because this guy has been at Anderson how long? They don't appear to be getting better. Turpin obviously had very good talent last year and back this year. Their coach has been there just 2-3 years I think?

Kid from Anderson to Cov. Catholic, they are recruiting everywhere.

You must not know much about Cov Cath or that family. They don’t have to recruit- have one of the best coaches and programs around.

Last edited by a moderator:
You must not know much about Cov Cath or that family. They don’t have to recruit- have one of the best coaches and programs around. the parents shop their kids around. Don’t be surprised if he winds up at West Clermont or elsewhere at some point in the next couple of years.
Shop our kids around?? Are you kidding me. So since you know us so we’ll reveal yourself. Your statements are bold behind an anonymous name.

Shop our kids around?? Are you kidding me. So since you know us so we’ll reveal yourself. Your statements are bold behind an anonymous name.
Admittedly reading it back just now that came out not as intended- my apologies. What I meant was that you are a high school coach (wasn’t sure if the posters knew this since you are on the girls side) and fully aware of the recruiting rules plus you have talented kids and likely spoke with several high school coaches/ programs before making a decision. Others were saying your son was recruited to Cov Cath- I am saying you likely made the decision based on what was best for your son.

Admittedly reading it back just now that came out not as intended- my apologies. What I meant was that you are a high school coach (wasn’t sure if the posters knew this since you are on the girls side) and fully aware of the recruiting rules plus you have talented kids and likely spoke with several high school coaches/ programs before making a decision. Others were saying your son was recruited to Cov Cath- I am saying you likely made the decision based on what was best for your son.
There was no recruiting that took place with my son...period. We evaluated two schools ... and ultimately let chandler pick the one he felt most comfortable attending. Our goal was to put him in the best possible situation both academically and athletically. I am 150% sure we have done just that. These forums are a breeding ground for bad information and I was no longer willing to let it go. There was no shopping, no recruiting. We are just smart enough to know when we have a great opportunity. Chandler is a special kid and I invite everyone here to come see first hand. Ps. Turpin coach is on the right track and will produce a good team.

There was no recruiting that took place with my son...period. We evaluated two schools ... and ultimately let chandler pick the one he felt most comfortable attending. Our goal was to put him in the best possible situation both academically and athletically. I am 150% sure we have done just that. These forums are a breeding ground for bad information and I was no longer willing to let it go. There was no shopping, no recruiting. We are just smart enough to know when we have a great opportunity. Chandler is a special kid and I invite everyone here to come see first hand. Ps. Turpin coach is on the right track and will produce a good team.
We had similar recruiting accusations about one of our kids on here years ago- assumptions were made that because they ended up at a private school, recruiting was involved. Was not at all the case but the anti private school majority on here can’t wrap their heads around the idea that families CHOOSE what’s best for their kids and it isn’t always just sports either.

I guess the question is: how does everybody define recruiting? There is most definitely, what I call recruiting, going on with many of the serious basketball program catholic schools. My understanding is that they cannot reach out to you until you make the first move but once you show them that you are considering them, its game on. If they want you, then it is definitely recruiting at that point.

Many families do just what has been described above. School choice is a good situation. Catholic schools in the Greater Cincinnati are ones with deep roots and traditions. All that being said, Moeller has their ways to "identify" players and then call it whatever you want. Anyway, this is an ECC thread. Does anyone think the Anderson coach will begin to succeed?