When does the state put the final numbers out?

Power house

When will we find out when it’s official what schools moved up in divisions and what schools dropped in divisions?

Enrollment #s are out, but I assume you mean the divisional breakdowns and I think June is the answer? June 6th stands out in my mind but I'm not sold on that answer. I'm see if I can find something more definitive for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Enrollment #s are out, but I assume you mean the divisional breakdowns and I think June is the answer? June 6th stands out in my mind but I'm not sold on that answer. I'm see if I can find something more definitive for you.

Yeah that’s what I was talking about. Divisional break down.

Thanks for the info

They should/could be out after the June board of directors meeting. That being the divisional cutoffs for wrestling.

Does OSHAA have a link to see the enrollment numbers for only schools with wrestling programs?

Does OSHAA have a link to see the enrollment numbers for only schools with wrestling programs?
No, not just wrestling. I tried to create my own spreadsheet and I know I missed some schools.

Wow! I just received my pre-release media copy of the cut-offs...some big shifts coming down the pike.

Also, the email stated the release will occur in June; no definitive time given. Sorry.

But, wow, man. Far out!

But, wow, man. Far out!

Lebowski-1-e1548351172887.jpg

We are seeing, at the OHSAA level, more shifts in the fall sports than the winter sports. Fall always seems to be a priority, with football being the major influence. At our last coaches meeting we discussed this in detail but with no avail or common ground. Its not up to coachs but actual numbers that need to be gathered and submitted. With youth programs thriving the divisional gap has decreased for individual sports. Whether its lacrosse, volleyball, wrestling, or tennis. we cant make definitive judgements respective to athlete preparedness for the next level or just competing with the division.

There was 344 teams used in this years breakdown for the team wrestling. 402 for the breakdown done 2 years ago.

That is nearly 60 less teams from 2 years ago. Does anyone have any insight on how this will affect the numbers for the individual side of things? Should we expect to see this number drop drastically as well? I wouldn't think the number of teams on the individual side of things should be impacted as bad.

That is nearly 60 less teams from 2 years ago. Does anyone have any insight on how this will affect the numbers for the individual side of things? Should we expect to see this number drop drastically as well? I wouldn't think the number of teams on the individual side of things should be impacted as bad.

Unless you're Western Brown, I think had 1 or 2 males that put them over the cut line for D2. That team a few years ago with Brandon Lucas and company would have been very competitive in post season D2; in D1, they were just competitive and the timing of LaSalle's coming out party on Southwest Ohio( goodnight, turn the lights off).

Interesting that the OHSAA goes against its sports regulations for wrestling. I'm glad they do for one. I prefer they keep the individual tournament to 3 divisions. I assume they make good money off the current format, and would not make a decision to cut a division considering the loss of revenue.

Divisions Determination—The number of divisions in OHSAA high school tournaments
in a sport shall be determined by the number of school teams that participated in the tournaments the preceding year or years, depending upon the sport.
Number of Teams
Participating in Tournaments Divisions
250 or less I
251-500 I, II
501-750 I, II, III
751 or more I, II, III, IV
Sports tournament changes relative to adding a division or discontinuing a division or adding
a tournament or discontinuing a tournament may be made only after the number of schools
has been higher or lower for two successive years.
EXCEPTION—In football, the Board of Directors may schedule tournament play in divisions other than specified in the table above.

The number of teams for "team wrestling" is based on those that competed in the dual team event the previous year ... which is to say the 2019 dual team event determined the threshold for 2019-20 and 2020-21 in dual team after the 2017 dual team event determined the threshold for 2017-18 and 2018-19.

Notable:

**Aurora stays in D2 for dual team, and does so at the maximum number.
**At 199, Milan Edison remains in D3 for dual team.
**Alliance last year hosted that D2 dual team regional war zone, this year they are up in D1
**Bethel Tate made it to the D3 dual team state quarters in 2017 & 2018, they are now in D3 for dual team; Blanchester, who made it to the dual team quarters in D3 last year is also in D2 this year

The number I have for seven on the sectional bracket in wrestling was 495 schools -- I am almost sure that will be less, since I used entry grids for some as opposed to the brackets themselves.

In terms of schools for division number requirement, that regulation is more something that automatically triggers an additional division if the standard is met for a couple years in a row. That being said, not being anywhere close to the three division number could lead to OHSAA re-considering there being three divisions. However, OHSAA can do what they want (see lacrosse having two divisions despite not being anywhere close on team count).

In terms of schools for division number requirement, that regulation is more something that automatically triggers an additional division if the standard is met for a couple years in a row. That being said, not being anywhere close to the three division number could lead to OHSAA re-considering there being three divisions. However, OHSAA can do what they want (see lacrosse having two divisions despite not being anywhere close on team count).

Good information. A girls division addition could be considered if boys teams drop further.

A decision on sanctioning girls wrestling will be based on the interpretation of there being a "significant" interest level in that sport itself.

That's just 60 less teams who participated in the team dual tournament. which is voluntary. There are over 500 schools that sponsor wrestling in Ohio.

remember less then 7 on a roster your not considered a team.with numbers declining in participants the more effect on dual team numbers.many schools cant put 7 on a mat.

607 according to entry grids

7 wrestlers is the magic number for OHSAA to count the school as a team. See below.

For individual OHSAA tournament sports, the minimum number of individuals required for a team designation is as follows:

Bowling 5
Swimming & Diving 7
Cross Country 5
Tennis 4
Golf 4
Track & Field 9
Girls Gymnastics 3
Wrestling 7

To get the number of OHSAA recognized teams from last season, you would need to count the number of teams who had at least 7 wrestlers compete(wrestled in a match, look at bracket) at the Sectional Tournament in 2019.