13-0

Irwin20

I didn't see the game but this topic has come up a few times in the Girls soccer forum. When do you pump the brakes? Is this different because it the WC and goal differential comes into play? Also I see some people are also fussing about the celebrations after goals with a double digit lead. My experience is that HS/college girls stop celebrating after about 6-0. If this was a local HS game I know there would be a discussion going on here. Thoughts?

What a classless POS team display. How do I really feel about this? I hope Sweden teaches the USNWT a lesson on game day three.

I didn't see the game but this topic has come up a few times in the Girls soccer forum. When do you pump the brakes? Is this different because it the WC and goal differential comes into play? Also I see some people are also fussing about the celebrations after goals with a double digit lead. My experience is that HS/college girls stop celebrating after about 6-0. If this was a local HS game I know there would be a discussion going on here. Thoughts?

No mercy in the World Cup. Send a message early to all teams you may face. In a high school setting I would say pull back and show some mercy, but not in the World Cup.

I don't think you pump the breaks in a tournament, you empty the bench as much as you can.

In the World Cup, you’re only allowed 3 substitutions. So, you can’t empty the bench. Women’s soccer has wide talent disparities between the top and bottom teams. Ordinarily, the USWNT would never play someone like Thailand. The US will see tougher competition when it faces the European teams.

There wasn’t much they could do to stop the route. They were the superior team by far. I just thought they could have toned down the celebrations once they were up by 5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lot of discussion on FOX about this.

Many former players of the USWNT take the Anson Dorrance approach that by playing as hard and as well as you can for the entire game, you are showing your opponent full respect. Current veteran players, Alex Morgan and Megan Rapinoe, emphasized the joy of this being the World Cup and how players (especially the new ones) are scoring goals they've dreamed about since they were young. There's side mention of goal differential as a tiebreaker. Coach Jill Ellis hints that this wouldn't be discussed in a mens game.

Foreign players take a much harsher view of the game. A former Canadian player ripped the US approach for both the number of goals and the celebrations. A former England player notes that the goals were part of sharpening the offense but celebrations after 5, 6, 7 goals crossed the line. Former 2x German World Cup champion had no problem with the number of goals or even celebrations by first-time players, but she found displays by veterans like Morgan, Rapinoe, and Lloyd to be lacking class.

Former USMNT player, Lexi Lalas, had no problem with the goals or the celebrations. To the contrary, he loves anything that gets people talking about soccer. But he also notes that a game like this makes the target on defending champions even bigger.

Consensus from the panel was that this discussion was entirely about sportsmanship and had nothing to do with sexism.

When I first began coaching high school in Cincinnati (1990's), the unwritten (but often discussed) rule among coaches was that you didn't allow your team to win by greater than 10-0 (I know others believe this number is too high). Other parts of the state (especially Dayton) do not abide by this. Personally, as a coach and player parent, I have found nothing more distasteful than keepaway. I also never played short-handed, because I wanted to get my substitutes opportunities to play. I could almost always put the brakes on the scoring by, after a certain number, requiring all goals to be scored on headers by players who had never scored before. Regardless, I think it's most important that you emphasize respect for your opponents. I suspect the reaction towards this game will impact future USWNT blowouts.

I have yet to see comment from Thailand on the game, and I'd be interested in that. One reaction from a Thai player living in the US is in this article: https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-world-cup-miranda-nild-alex-morgan-20190611-story.html

The pus*yification of the US continues. First, a country that still has their police ride HORSIES is now viewed as tougher than the US because they CHEERED when Durant re-injured himself, (Canada, America's hat), and everyone is outraged, and now THIS U.S. NATIONAL TEAM CRAP about scoring too much? GOOD GOD.

No problem with the scoring but I do think the late celebrating was misguided. Maybe that’s just me.

But whose celebration do you take away, they all meant something to someone. It was either from a player playing and scoring in their first World Cup (the dreams come true that Morgan mentioned) or they were from players achieving historic and lasting records (Lloyd's continued streak in what could be her last WC and Morgan's five tying the most in one game). I didn't like seeing Morgan count off her goals on her fingers after the 4th, if anything I think she could stand to take some heat for that. And I didn't care for Rapinoe's knee slide but honestly she is all about the fight for equal pay to the men right now and will do anything to bring up the comparison, and how many times have we seen Ronaldo do that so that was likely her plan all along, regardless of whether she'd scored early or late. I don't think they all the bad press is warranted but agree that I saw some things I didn't like. The Thai coach didn't comment on the celebrating but did comment that they had no issue with the goals, they knew the disparity coming in, and they appreciated the encouragement to their players after the game by the US players (Lloyd and Morgan in particular). The announcers also commented early in that this could be a high scoring game because the Thai GK is most skilled playing way off her line and she would be very much out of her element not being able to do that all game with the USA.

Here are some Thailand results from 2018 to put things into perspective:
  • Indonesia 0-13 Thailand
  • Cambodia 0-11 Thailand
  • Malaysia 0-8 Thailand

Any issues now?

Here are some Thailand results from 2018 to put things into perspective:

• Indonesia 0-13 Thailand
  • Cambodia 0-11 Thailand
  • Malaysia 0-8 Thailand

Any issues now?

They played a team that’s the equivalent of a high school team, knowing that they would dominate, and then celebrated like bullies. They’d better win it all....

They played a team that’s the equivalent of a high school team, knowing that they would dominate, and then celebrated like bullies. They’d better win it all....

YEAH, that's what they did. Let's give Thailand medals too, and puppies and rainbows and juice boxes. NO MORE KEEPING SCORE!!! NO MORE HURTING ANYONE'S FEELINGS!!!

I knew I could count on you for a good analysis,Sir Stanley. This is a situation where nobody comes out looking good.

I see nothing wrong this at all, you enter the World Cup with a crap team and busted up that comes with the territory, just like taking a bad team into top bracket of tourney. The national stage is exactly that a national stage, I hope they thump everyone all the way through the World Cup! Celebrate, have fun and enjoy watching this team play, Go USA!

You got that right jed, it was the best my 80 year old brain could come up with. Thanks for the review.

Tuesday 11 June
No 1 in the world United States 13
No 34 in the world Thailand 0

Sunday 16 June
No 1 in the world United States 15
No 39 in the world Chile 0

Past World Cup winners:
1991 - US
1995 - Norway
1999 - US
2003 - Germany
2007 - Germany
2011 - Japan
2015 - US

the US is a good team, but they’re not the only good team playing. Celebrate like crazy when you beat a good team...

Put in your big girl / boy panties. This is the WC no say. I'd rather have a team score and celebrate than play keep away.

What are you supposed to put in your big boy/girl panties??? Love reading your stuff. You should spell check and read your posts a second time before you post them....

It's the World Cup, THE highest Level-Of-Play in the world for women's soccer. You play your best every second, every minute. Period. It's NOT U-Littles, for all the people who somehow have their panties bunched so tight, they can barely speak......

I have officiated games where the winning, by any margin, began to play 'Keep Away'. It's HorseCrap. It frustrated that opposing / losing team the majority of the time......I know, I was out there, hearing the comments, seeing the look in their eyes, etc. Aside from that element.......please explain how that weaker team learns anything, improves their play by ANY measure, by simply standing around, hopelessly watching that opponent move the ball around, helpless to steal it from them, for 15-20-30 minutes at a shot? That's a rhetorical question in truth, because that CAN'T! During a Girsl 1st Round Sectional, many years ago, as an AR, I watched that home team, the #1 Seed in that District, play Keep Away for 18 consecutive minutes (I took note of the time on the scoreboard); there were subs at the halfway line for SO long a period, they actually sat down right there, waiting for the ball to somehow, miraculously perhaps, go out of play so they could enter the game. The halftime break came first. Pathetic.

In the game in question, the USA had the chance to break the single game scoring record......so why not 'go for it'? Secondly, several of those late goals were the first-ever WC goals for several of those players......so they are NOT supposed to celebrate? Lastly, NO ONE.....fomr the players to the head coach.....from Thailand had ANY negative comments about how the USA played against them. THAT should 'speak volumes'.

I would argue that get blown out is bad, whether or not the team plays keep away for simply runs up the score...when you’re beat badly, you’re beat badly and you’re not happy. So, saying that it is better to have someone score 13 - 0 vs playing keeping away against you misses the point...

Anyway, most of the commentary I’ve seen is not directed towards the score. Instead, it was directed against obsessive celebrations after it was clear that the US was going to win by a wide margin. They were treating every goal as if it was the tie-breaking goal in the finals.