NEWBURY
RICHMOND HEIGHTS
SEBRING MCKINLEY
SOUTH CENTRAL (Greenwich)
ST JOHN SCHOOL (Ashtabula)
ST THOMAS AQUINAS (Louisville)
STRASBURG-FRANKLIN
TORONTO
TUSCARAWAS CENTRAL CATHOLIC (New Philadelphia)
VALLEY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Youngstown)
WELLSVILLE
WINDHAM

The 2 favorites gotta be Cuyahoga Heights and JFK. Cuyahoga Heights is looking to capture their 3rd straight R25 title (and 4th overall). JFK was a regional finalist last year and won the region in 2016. From what i can gather both return big chunks of their teams.

Lucas and McDonald both are newcomers to the region and will be threats. McDonald would’ve had a strong chance to win this region last year had they been in it, but will have a lot of holes to fill going into 2019. Lucas was a regional finalist in R27 last year, I’m not sure what they return however.

Here’s who I have as the Playoff contenders (no specific order):
Steubenville CC
Cuyahoga Heights
Danville
Independence
JFK
Lucas
McDonald
South Central
Toronto
Valley Christian
Windham

Stuebenville CC and Windham lose a ton. I really dont think either one will be in contention. Valley will be pretty good. I know very little about Independence. Lucas is usually tough. It should be a good region.

Stuebenville CC and Windham lose a ton. I really dont think either one will be in contention. Valley will be pretty good. I know very little about Independence. Lucas is usually tough. It should be a good region.

I had heard that about SCC, but they’ve been solid for a long while and coming off a playoff appearance I gave them the benefit of doubt. Windham I think just plays such a bad schedule they can win enough to get a top 8 harbin score

As for Independence they are usually pretty good, fringe playoff team the last few years in R21. They almost beat CH in 2017.

Didn’t Valley lose Square? He will be hard to replace.

I had heard that about SCC, but they’ve been solid for a long while and coming off a playoff appearance I gave them the benefit of doubt. Windham I think just plays such a bad schedule they can win enough to get a top 8 harbin score

As for Independence they are usually pretty good, fringe playoff team the last few years in R21. They almost beat CH in 2017.

Didn’t Valley lose Square? He will be hard to replace.

SCC was very senior heavy last year. Same with Windham but you are right about their schedule. Valley did lose a few good players but will always have the athletes to compete, plus they play the type of schedule that can prepare them for the playoffs, if they can get in.

St. John was a playoff team last year but their QB transferred and they might struggle this year.

I know McDonald is going to count on a couple young guys in key positions but they are good kids and I expect them to be tough as well.

SCC was very senior heavy last year. Same with Windham but you are right about their schedule. Valley did lose a few good players but will always have the athletes to compete, plus they play the type of schedule that can prepare them for the playoffs, if they can get in.

St. John was a playoff team last year but their QB transferred and they might struggle this year.

I know McDonald is going to count on a couple young guys in key positions but they are good kids and I expect them to be tough as well.

That is true about VCS, I honestly was a bit surprised they lost to Mapleton in the playoffs.

I didn’t include St John because they are usually really bad every year, last year seemed like an aberration.

McDonald skill positions should still be really good with returners getting expanded roles and young kids coming up. Up front is the big issue/question, only return 1 starter from last year and a 2017 starter who was injured all last year. They’ll get thrown directly into the fire too, Brookfield, Columbiana, Crestview, and Reserve 4 of the first 5 weeks of the season.

Last edited:

Where did the St. John qb transfer to?

For Valley, yes they lost Square, but the upcoming QB started at DB and saw plenty of action at WR. Plus he was on the 4x100 that placed 4th in the state.
The Mapleton playoff game was strange. A onside kick, fumble and a 3 and out. 21-0 early 1st quarter. After that the game was pretty even. They had a prolific passing game with a QB with gaudy career numbers.

CATHOLIC CENTRAL (Steubenville)
CHALKER (Southington)
CONOTTON VALLEY (Bowerston)
CUYAHOGA HEIGHTS
DANVILLE
DAVID ANDERSON (Lisbon)
FAIRPORT HARDING
INDEPENDENCE
JACKSON-MILTON
JOHN F KENNEDY (Warren)
LEETONIA
LOWELLVILLE
LUCAS
MALVERN
MATHEWS
MCDONALD
NEWBURY
RICHMOND HEIGHTS
SEBRING MCKINLEY
ST JOHN SCHOOL (Ashtabula)
ST THOMAS AQUINAS (Louisville)
STRASBURG-FRANKLIN
TORONTO
TUSCARAWAS CENTRAL CATHOLIC (New Philadelphia)
WELLSVILLE
WINDHAM

The 2 favorites gotta be Cuyahoga Heights and JFK. Cuyahoga Heights is looking to capture their 3rd straight R25 title (and 4th overall). JFK was a regional finalist last year and won the region in 2016. From what i can gather both return big chunks of their teams.

Lucas and McDonald both are newcomers to the region and will be threats. McDonald would’ve had a strong chance to win this region last year had they been in it, but will have a lot of holes to fill going into 2019. Lucas was a regional finalist in R27 last year, I’m not sure what they return however.

Here’s who I have as the Playoff contenders (no specific order):
Steubenville CC
Cuyahoga Heights
Danville
Independence
JFK
Lucas
McDonald
South Central
Toronto
Valley Christian
Windham

Last year Lucas lost to Glouster Trimble in the final 14 seconds of the R27 final. Trimble went on to trounce the R25 winner. Do not sleep on Lucas. In 2018 they played a top 5 schedule in D7, this year, they may have THE hardest schedules in D7. They return their All-Ohio QB and have a ton of talent coming back.

Last year Lucas lost to Glouster Trimble in the final 14 seconds of the R27 final. Trimble went on to trounce the R25 winner. Do not sleep on Lucas. In 2018 they played a top 5 schedule in D7, this year, they may have THE hardest schedules in D7. They return their All-Ohio QB and have a ton of talent coming back.

Not sleeping on Lucas, otherwise I wouldn’t have mentioned them. Just don’t have a lot of information since they are pretty much central Ohio. Can only look back at results, which were impressive last year, especially the win over LCC. That said I see Lucas is traveling to Labrae this year, should be interesting to see them in the area.

Not sleeping on Lucas, otherwise I wouldn’t have mentioned them. Just don’t have a lot of information since they are pretty much central Ohio. Can only look back at results, which were impressive last year, especially the win over LCC. That said I see Lucas is traveling to Labrae this year, should be interesting to see them in the area.

I didn't mean you specifically. Lol. What should Lucas expect from LeBrae? A lot bigger school than Lucas no doubt.

I didn't mean you specifically. Lol. What should Lucas expect from LeBrae? A lot bigger school than Lucas no doubt.

I’m not sure. They had a really good team last year with an explosive offense, but injuries, especially to their QB at the end of the year hurt them. Not sure what they return but it’s a program that even in “down” years is a solid 6-4 type team

I’m not sure. They had a really good team last year with an explosive offense, but injuries, especially to their QB at the end of the year hurt them. Not sure what they return but it’s a program that even in “down” years is a solid 6-4 type team

The Lucas schedule is a real meat grinder:

08/30: @ Danville
09/06: @ Centerburg
09/13: Galion Northmor (DVI)
09/20: Troy Christian (DVI)
09/27: @ Willard (DV)
10/04: Steubenville Catholic Central (DVI)
10/11: Columbus St. Charles (DII)
10/18: @ Lancaster Fisher Catholic
10/25: @ Leavittsburg LaBrae (DV)
11/01: Lima Central Catholic (DVI)

MCDONALD
LUCAS
CUYAHOGA HEIGHTS
CATHOLIC CENTRAL (Steubenville)
JOHN F KENNEDY (Warren)
DANVILLE
INDEPENDENCE
TORONTO

The Lucas schedule is a real meat grinder:

08/30: @ Danville (DVII)
09/06: @ Centerburg (DVI)
09/13: Galion Northmor (DVI)
09/20: Troy Christian (DVI)
09/27: @ Willard (DV)
10/04: Steubenville Catholic Central (DVII)
10/11: Columbus St. Charles (DII)
10/18: @ Lancaster Fisher Catholic (DVII)
10/25: @ Leavittsburg LaBrae (DV)
11/01: Lima Central Catholic (DVI)

Added in all the missing divisional assignments above. I think Lucas can find at least 5 wins on that schedule which should be enough to get them into the R25 playoffs.

Added in all the missing divisional assignments above. I think Lucas can find at least 5 wins on that schedule which should be enough to get them into the R25 playoffs.

I do think this region should be a bit tougher to get into the post season than the last 2 years, so I think 5-5 could be cutting it close.

That said I’ll be surprised if the winner of this region isn’t one of the 4 of JFK, CH, Lucas, or McDonald.

I do think this region should be a bit tougher to get into the post season than the last 2 years, so I think 5-5 could be cutting it close.

That said I’ll be surprised if the winner of this region isn’t one of the 4 of JFK, CH, Lucas, or McDonald.

I think Steubenville CC could be in the mix too. I would rank them:

1) Lucas
2) Warren JFK
3) Cuyahoga Heights
4) McDonald
5) Steubenville CC

Cal Preps ranked them:

1. Lucas (OH) Mid-Buckeye 6.4
2. McDonald (OH) Mahoning Valley 5.5
3. Cuyahoga Heights (Cleveland, OH) Chagrin Valley - Metro 2.4
4. Kennedy [John F.] (Warren, OH) North Coast - White 0.0
5. Catholic Central (Steubenville, OH) Ohio Valley AA 0.0

I think Steubenville CC could be in the mix too. I would rank them:

1) Lucas
2) Warren JFK
3) Cuyahoga Heights
4) McDonald
5) Steubenville CC

SCC is usually pretty solid, but they are losing a ton off an already small roster and turmoil around their program. I originally had them in my playoff contenders but after doing some research I don’t think so. But who really knows until they play the games.

SCC is usually pretty solid, but they are losing a ton off an already small roster and turmoil around their program. I originally had them in my playoff contenders but after doing some research I don’t think so. But who really knows until they play the games.

SCC's roster numbers last year (2018):

Sr. - 10
Jr. - 11
So. - 2
Fr. - 5

If the numbers stay the same that would be only 18 varsity players for 2019. I would assume they will pick up some extra players for this season.

Sr. - 10
Jr. - 11
So. - 2
Fr. - 5

If the numbers stay the same that would be only 18 varsity players for 2019. I would assume they will pick up some extra players for this season.

That's brutal. They have always fielded a tough team.

Sr. - 10
Jr. - 11
So. - 2
Fr. - 5

SCC, from what I have been hearing, is going to be really down. We have played them regularly for years until they dropped us for the upcoming season. They may have gotten a few players to come in but I really don't think they are going to be a factor in the playoff race.

I don't know, pretty big jump in numbers from the fifth toughest schedule in D7 to the teams at the top of that D7 list. You would probably need to schedule Mogadore and Kirtland to match the schedules that test the smaller MAC schools. Last year the 10 MAC schools had the 1 and 4 rankings on this list in D5. 1,2,3,4,5 in D6, and 1.2. and 4 in D7.
http://fantastic50.net/toughest.html

Last edited:
JFK is finding it difficult to fill out a full ten game schedule (not uncommon for the Eagles) this year. However, this may not be a bad thing for the school. Almost like a bye in the NFL which may help injuries to heal.

I don't know, pretty big jump in numbers from the fifth toughest schedule in D7 to the teams at the top of that D7 list. You would probably need to schedule Mogadore and Kirtland to match the schedules that test the smaller MAC schools. Last year the 10 MAC schools had the 1 and 4 rankings on this list in D5. 1,2,3,4,5 in D6, and 1.2. and 4 in D7.
http://fantastic50.net/toughest.html

Valid points. My point is that Lucas will be battle tested once again. Their schedule is extremely tough including DVI LCC, SCC, DII Columbus St. Charles, DVI LaBrae, DV Willard, DVI Galion Northmor and Fisher Catholic.