McLaughlin Out at Moeller

MyNameIsDoug?

Saw on Twitter that he's leaving the program to pursue other interests. Wonder what those might be since he works and coaches at his alma mater. A shame to see since he's still so young and has been extremely successful in his 8 seasons.

Who do we think takes over? Someone currently on staff or possibly an outsider?

Good luck to Matt in all his future endeavors! A true class act!

He's leaving Moeller completely, accepted a position at LaSalle.

Heard through grapevine:
-Apparently taking at least a year off from HS coaching so he won't be on staff at LS quite yet.

-New coach at Moeller is not someone previously a part of the Moe program. Someone coming from the girls HS volleyball world (but has coached boys HS before).

He's leaving Moeller completely, accepted a position at LaSalle.

Heard through grapevine:
-Apparently taking at least a year off from HS coaching so he won't be on staff at LS quite yet.

-New coach at Moeller is not someone previously a part of the Moe program. Someone coming from the girls HS volleyball world (but has coached boys HS before).

Wow, interesting! It seems odd from an outsider's perspective, but I'm sure it's a great opportunity if he's making the move.

Second part is even more interesting to me. With Matt becoming HC so young, it'd have been reasonable to think one of the young guys on staff would get the chance.

Wow, interesting! It seems odd from an outsider's perspective, but I'm sure it's a great opportunity if he's making the move.

Second part is even more interesting to me. With Matt becoming HC so young, it'd have been reasonable to think one of the young guys on staff would get the chance.

Word on the street (again, take with grain of salt) is that none of the younger guys on the staff wanted to take over. They are/were happy as assistants and sub-varsity coaches.

Regarding the LaSalle thing, I believe he has family teaching/coaching there (football coach).

Lots of boys volleyball news. Congrats to Yoon Ha Moeller’s new coach and Darien McDowell @ Oak Hills. These guys will do great things for there programs. Good luck gentlemen.

I guess that would make sense; less pressure and stress to deal with. Either way, I'd assume the program will still be top notch

I would have vouched for any of their assistants to take over...all former players who knew the culture and history of the program. That said, I’m sure Moeller will still field a top team as always.

Congrats to Coach McLaughlin on an incredible run!

As is going to be the case most years at Moeller, the new coach is walking into a serious title contender. Moeller only graduated two seniors that got significant playing time. I expect them and Darby to be the top 2 teams by quite a bit next year.

Returning starters include:
S - Beckelheimer
OH - Fuller
MH - Bowles
OPP - Reynolds
L - Haas

As is going to be the case most years at Moeller, the new coach is walking into a serious title contender. Moeller only graduated two seniors that got significant playing time. I expect them and Darby to be the top 2 teams by quite a bit next year.

Returning starters include:
S - Beckelheimer
OH - Fuller
MH - Bowles
OPP - Reynolds
L - Haas

Strong core, for sure...
Is this Bowles related to the previous Bowles who was an OH at Moeller a few years back?

Lots of boys volleyball news. Congrats to Yoon Ha Moeller’s new coach and Darien McDowell @ Oak Hills. These guys will do great things for there programs. Good luck gentlemen.

Yoon won a state championship with Fenwick in 2013. Was previously HC at Seton HS. He runs a tight ship from what I hear, which should fit pretty well at Moeller.

Darien is an Oak Hills alum - has previously coached at Finneytown (girls) and Walnut Hills (boys).

Lots of boys volleyball news.
Congrats to Yoon Ha Moeller’s new coach and Darien McDowell @ Oak Hills. These guys will do great things for there programs. Good luck gentlemen.

How accurate is this? I've seen a release about McDowell being Oak Hills HC but nothing on Yoon Ha being Moeller's new coach.

Last edited:
How accurate is this? I've seen a release about McDowell being Oak Hills HC but nothing on Yoon Ha being Moeller's new coach.

That is the rumor I heard as well, but didn't want to put the name out there without confirmation. So, I'd guess it's fairly accurate if others have heard the same?