Commonly mislocated schools

aztecjim

Borrowing from another thread how many schools are not really in the city/village they are listed in? Does Springfield really have umpteen schools? Springfield, Northwestern, Northeastern, Shawnee, Emmanuel Christian, Catholic Central,...

Manchester High School is commonly refered as being in a city called Manchester instead of New Franklin.

Borrowing from another thread how many schools are not really in the city/village they are listed in? Does Springfield really have umpteen schools? Springfield, Northwestern, Northeastern, Shawnee, Emmanuel Christian, Catholic Central,...

That’s because public school district boundaries, for the most part, are not the same as municipal boundaries.

Bath, Shawnee and Perry high schools are not really in Lima, Ohio. They are referred to as Lima Bath, Lima Shawnee and Lima Perry but are not really in the city nor even its limits remotely. They all have Lima zip codes (in fact shawnee and perry share the same zip code some how). I have even seen Perry referred to as Cridersville Perry. Cridersville is a small town in southern Allen / northern Auglaize counties and has NO affiliation whatsoever with Perry schools. Kids who attend Cridersville Elementary go to Wapakoneta HS in fact.

Bishop Fenwick for years I've seen listed as Middletown Bishop Fenwick. Clearly they have a Franklin, OH address though.

Having played at Lima Senior back in the GMC days, I now realize that Sycamore, Princeton, etc... are not really in Cincinnati haha. Princeton does have a cincy address but Sycamore is listed in the town of Montgomery, OH.

The most geographically insane example I've ever seen was Southwestern High School and Southeastern High School in Detroit. If you're looking at a map of the two clearly Southeastern HS is NE from the downtown Detroit area. And if you're going from Detroit Southwestern to Southeastern you have to travel in a NE direction. Its really bizarre.

The OHSAA refers to Kenston as Chagrin Falls Kenston in which it is actually in Bainbridge and really despite being short drive, it’s really no where near Chagrin Falls.

I’ve seen some confusion with several people over the years that believed VASJ which is settled on the Cleveland/Euclid border think the school is on the Euclid side of E.185th and Lakeshore because Euclid Hospital is right next door to the school but the Cleveland boarder starts by the Hospice of the Western Reserve Building (former Marianist Brother House) to where I have to explain the boarder. So because of the border situation, we get a lot of kids from Euclid going to VASJ in which a lot are legacies but get dinged for CB because the school isn’t in Euclid.

NDCL is called Chardon NDCL by the OHSAA and has a Chardon mailing address but in reality they are in Munson Township and south of Chardon and in reality closer to Chesterland and Newbury than Chardon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These "Cincinnati" schools are not in the City of Cincinnati

Anderson [Anderson Twp]
Moeller [Sycamore Twp]
Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy [Sycamore Twp]
Cincinnati Country Day [Indian Hill]
Colerain [Colerain Twp]
Deer Park [Deer Park]
Finnytown [Finnytown]
Indian Hill [Indian Hill]
LaSalle [Green Twp]
Madeira [Madeira]
Mariemont [Mariemont]
Miami Valley Christian Academy [Newtown]
Mt Healthy [Mt Healthy]
Mount Notre Dame [Reading]
North College Hill [North College Hill]
Northwest [Colerain Twp]
Oak Hills [Bridgetown North ,Green Twp]
Princeton [Sharonville]
St Xavier [Springfield Twp]
Sycamore [Montgomery]
Turpin [Anderson Twp]
Ursuline Academy [Blue Ash]
Winton Woods [Forest Park]
Wyoming [Wyoming]

Last edited:
The OHSAA refers to Kenston as Chagrin Falls Kenston in which it is actually in Bainbridge and really despite being short drive, it’s really no where near Chagrin Falls.

That’s because public school district boundaries, for the most part, are not the same as municipal boundaries.

I believe almost all of these situations are more importantly caused by the OHSAA using the schools' "mailing" address (city and zip code) as the qualifying location indicator describing the school.

In my area, we have Youngstown Liberty, although Liberty is not located within the Youngstown city limits (it is north of Youngstown, and in a different county, to boot). There's also Canfield South Range, a school district located south and east of Canfield (the district may include parts of Canfield Township). The designation of it being Canfield South Range is fairly recent, in conjuction with the newly-constructed South Range schools complex now located closer to (but not in) Canfield city or township.

I believe almost all of these situations are more importantly caused by the OHSAA using the schools' "mailing" address (city and zip code) as the qualifying location indicator describing the school.

Yep, OHSAA has used the postal mailing address.

Blame the post office, but in many cases the post office now allows more than one city name with a zip code. For example, Austintown-Fitch used to be referred to as Youngstown Austintown-Fitch. Now it is just Austintown Fitch.

I think there are several schools that unnecessarily are still referred to with the nearby larger city by the OHSAA, but they need not be. Youngstown Boardman, for instance. Should just be Boardman

The most geographically insane example I've ever seen was Southwestern High School and Southeastern High School in Detroit. If you're looking at a map of the two clearly Southeastern HS is NE from the downtown Detroit area. And if you're going from Detroit Southwestern to Southeastern you have to travel in a NE direction. Its really bizarre.

Southwestern is permanently closed. Southeastern is still in existence.

Bishop Fenwick for years I've seen listed as Middletown Bishop Fenwick. Clearly they have a Franklin, OH address though.

Fenwick built a new high school about 10-15 years ago on the other side of I-75. I believe, technically, it is still located within the boundaries of the city of Middletown, but is serviced by the Franklin Post Office … or something confusing like that.

Oakwood HS is often called Dayton Oakwood HS. It's not a Dayton school. It's Oakwood High School in the city of Oakwood.

Marion Local HS is 90 miles from the Marion county or the city of Marion which is Harding HS...
Marion local is located in the small town of Maria Stein (Mercer county) and includes kids from the surrounding farms and small towns of St Sebastian, Chickasaw, Osgood, Cassella, St Rose, St John.

The reason to use zip codes is the fact that a city name associated with the ZIP code cannot be used in another zip code inside the same state.

But now zip codes can have more than one city name. So it can be confusing. But some schools exist outside cities and using townships would be a nightmare.

The reason to use zip codes is the fact that a city name associated with the ZIP code cannot be used in another zip code inside the same state.

But now zip codes can have more than one city name. So it can be confusing. But some schools exist outside cities and using townships would be a nightmare.

In Hamilton County, there is Northwest Local School District and Southwest Local School District. Despite the names, Southwest Local Schools occupies the Northwestern part of the country and even spills so far north into Butler County. The two districts even border one another and Southwest Local Schools is further North and West of Northwest Schools. Strange.

Marion Local HS is 90 miles from the Marion county or the city of Marion which is Harding HS...
Marion local is located in the small town of Maria Stein (Mercer county) and includes kids from the surrounding farms and small towns of St Sebastian, Chickasaw, Osgood, Cassella, St Rose, St John.

And let's not forget the people who think St. Henry is a private school. Or Poland Seminary.

Or that Warren JFK is a catholic school and Cleveland JFK certainly isn't.

Bath, Shawnee and Perry high schools are not really in Lima, Ohio. They are referred to as Lima Bath, Lima Shawnee and Lima Perry but are not really in the city nor even its limits remotely. They all have Lima zip codes (in fact shawnee and perry share the same zip code some how). I have even seen Perry referred to as Cridersville Perry. Cridersville is a small town in southern Allen / northern Auglaize counties and has NO affiliation whatsoever with Perry schools. Kids who attend Cridersville Elementary go to Wapakoneta HS in fact.

Having played at Lima Senior back in the GMC days, I now realize that Sycamore, Princeton, etc... are not really in Cincinnati haha. Princeton does have a cincy address but Sycamore is listed in the town of Montgomery, OH.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Perry and Shawnee are both on Breese Road as well.

For those who don't know Bath, Perry, and Shawnee are township schools.

Fenwick built a new high school about 10-15 years ago on the other side of I-75. I believe, technically, it is still located within the boundaries of the city of Middletown, but is serviced by the Franklin Post Office … or something confusing like that.

Exactly right. It is within city of Middletown but post office services that east-of-I-75 section of Middletown out of the Franklin post office.

I agree. And it appears it's only the OHSAA that uses these "mailing" address qualifiers. The Ohio Department of Education does not appear to use them.

THe Cincinnati post office name covers huge chunks of Hamilton County even know the city does not. More than half the schools down there labeled as Cincinnati by the OHSAA naming conventions are not in Cincinnati city boundary.

Opposite in Cleveland. Not sure if any non city boundary schools carry the Cleveland label.

OHSAA calls the school in Morrow County “Marengo” Highland but the school is 10 minutes from Marengo and instead is 15 seconds of Sparta. I believe it used to be known in tournament play as “Sparta Highland.”

How about Westerville Central being geographically north of Westerville North?