2018-19 Ohio State Basketball

NCAA is horrible this year, OSU finished 8 - 12 in the BIG that is nothing miraculous. It would not surprise me in the least though if OSU would win its 1st 2 games, as Iowa State has 11 losses on the season and UC just beat Houston.

Too many teams. Need to go back to 48 teams. That was the number once upon a time, no? Let the NIT have the other 20 teams.

Too many teams. Need to go back to 48 teams. That was the number once upon a time, no? Let the NIT have the other 20 teams.

Agreed. If their not going to let more mid majors in the tourney, the tourney should be reduced, ridiculous to have sub 500 league teams in the Big Dance.

OSU got a very fortunate draw, no Duke, NC, Kentucky but instead ISU and Houston. Outside of maybe 5 or 6 teams the tourney is so watered down that anyone can beat anyone else. Makes for good TV I suppose.

I was pleasantly surprised last night. If they could somehow beat Houston, this would be a great jumpstart when next year when they get a talent infusion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Painful to watch, but a W is a W. Glad to see Woods perform to ability lately, including last night. Will be interesting to see how the Bucks handle (or not) Houston's O.

Prepare for 1227's next flip-flop. :eek:

OSU got a very fortunate draw, no Duke, NC, Kentucky but instead ISU and Houston. Outside of maybe 5 or 6 teams the tourney is so watered down that anyone can beat anyone else. Makes for good TV I suppose.

They should just have a committee select the four best teams in the country and go straight to the final four.

They scored after almost every turnover,looked like it was the first time playing together.Much better team beat them,next year should be a more enjoyable season.

Hats off to an incredible season that exceeded all sane fans' expectations. To make the tourney and pull out a win with the lack of talent on this roster is impressive.

The results this season were honestly better then I expected. Heck of a job by the coaching staff to take a very average team to the field of 32. I cannot wait to see how things go next year.

Good job. I didn't realize until yesterday the Bucks were one of the top ten defensive teams in the nation and #1 regarding FG%. Let's add some more O next year.

As many said this team was playing with house money this year. Pretty good year all things considered. We need some scoring help next year.

Good job. I didn't realize until yesterday the Bucks were one of the top ten defensive teams in the nation and #1 regarding FG%. Let's add some more O next year.

Amen to that,they got a lot of shots blocked which shows how weak they were.

Good season summary by Rob Oller in today's Dispatch.

https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/20190325/rob-oller--new-and-improved-key-for-osu-men-next-season

I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that this year's roster was pretty weak, and Holtmann did a pretty good job getting this team into the NCAA tournament. If Jackson and Woods hadn't been so inconsistently up-and-down, this team could have gone a lot further.

I'm a bit leery of the expectations of the incoming freshman class; people thought the same thing about the last big class Matta brought in that turned out to be a complete bust. However, I do think next year's roster will be significantly improved over this year's in terms of raw talent & athleticism.

What I would give to have a Sam Thompson back on the floor again. The Buckeyes haven't had anyone close to him since he graduated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvFRxnl_--g

Last edited:
The first time I saw Sam on the court we knew he was special,hope he's doing well overseas.

LeDee has entered the "transfer portal" and is on the way out. Ohio State has two scholarships available for next year, and one way or another they badly need to add another big guy. They seem to be a contender for a 7'0 Senegalese kid that played for Prolific Prep (CA) this year. If they don't land him, I'd expect a graduate transfer to fill that spot.

I'd like to see a late offer to Ben Roderick or if Buzz Williams leaves Virginia Tech for Texas A&M, Andre Gordon. I have a feeling though that at this point they'll bank that scholarship for next year as their only senior will be Andre Wesson.

I'm already excited about next year. With how shaky the guard play was this year, I have very high hopes for the probable backcourt of Carton and often forgotten about transfer C.J. Walker. I'd consider both to be big upgrades on paper over Jackson and Woods.

Won't miss LeeDee,need two BIG power forwards to help Wesson stay out of foul trouble and make him better so he can't be doubled up.Coach knows what he needs so I think he'll find them.

LeDee has entered the "transfer portal" and is on the way out. Ohio State has two scholarships available for next year, and one way or another they badly need to add another big guy. They seem to be a contender for a 7'0 Senegalese kid that played for Prolific Prep (CA) this year. If they don't land him, I'd expect a graduate transfer to fill that spot.

I'd like to see a late offer to Ben Roderick or if Buzz Williams leaves Virginia Tech for Texas A&M, Andre Gordon. I have a feeling though that at this point they'll bank that scholarship for next year as their only senior will be Andre Wesson.
I'd prefer they go with a grad transfer, and although he's not that great, Barret Benson from Northwestern might be an option. Wesson needs help now, not some newbie who may or may not be able to handle college-level banging in the post like LeDee.

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2019/...er-to-announce-he-will-transfer-in-past-week/

He knows the Big Ten, and has the size to not get eaten alive in the post like Kyle Young. I like Young, but he's not a 5, and having him play the 5 is hurting his development to play the 4 where he needs to be.

All you want from Wesson's backup is to bang around, play defense, and get rebounds. Benson has known fouling problems, but if he can fix that, he could make a real contribution.

They also might want to take a look at Rik Smits' kid, who has declared for the NBA Draft, but is probably coming back. He had a good year at Valpo, and he wants to do a grad transfer.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...-son-rik-smits-declares-nba-draft/3203752002/

I'd like to see either one of them, rather than bringing in Ibrahima Diallo from Prolific Prep. The grad transfer route would give the Buckeyes some experienced help now, and then they'd be able to see who they could get out of the high school ranks next year.

Last edited:
I'd prefer the grad transfer route. To me, this year showed they have a dire need for somebody that can be serviceable for 10-15 minutes a game backing up Wesson. I have a feeling that 6'11 Joey Brunk may be that guy since Holtmann recruited him to Butler. He'd be a two year guy. Averaged about 7.5 ppg and 3.5 rpg for Butler, but they don't exactly need a star. They just need somebody to plug a gaping hole in the rotation.