NFL News

I really thought the Raiders were just going to tank out for a couple years and build a team from scratch with players that Gruden wanted and let them grow together. But then they trade for AB (31) and extend him to a bigger deal, sign Trent Brown (26 next month) to a massive deal, despite drafting Kolton Miller at LT last year ni the first round (albeit, it was a bad pick). I defended Gruden when I thought he was going to totally rebuild, now I'm not really sure what he's doing.

I agree. They seem to have no direction. But I'm happy about that, don;t care for them or their coach.

Gruden: "OK guys, here is the plan: First, we let our best player (Mack) go. Then we let our best skill position guy (Cooper) for a 1st rounder also. We are building for the future."

"Hang on guys, we are going to pay a fortune for AB, who is like 5 years older than Amari, and a cancer in the locker room. He's great! And now we pay big $$ for a Patriots OL also. My plan is obvious isn't it? Forget rebuilding we are ready to win!"

I agree. They seem to have no direction. But I'm happy about that, don;t care for them or their coach.

Gruden: "OK guys, here is the plan: First, we let our best player (Mack) go. Then we let our best skill position guy (Cooper) for a 1st rounder also. We are building for the future."

"Hang on guys, we are going to pay a fortune for AB, who is like 5 years older than Amari, and a cancer in the locker room. He's great! And now we pay big $$ for a Patriots OL also. My plan is obvious isn't it? Forget rebuilding we are ready to win!"

If you look at this, Gruden didn't fare that poorly parlaying Cooper, a 3rd & a 5th into a 1st and AB.

Not sure I'd say AB was a locker room "cancer" as much as he was trying to force his way out of Pittsburgh. From what I've heard of him, he's a very hard worker who hones his craft and shows up on game day. Obviously week 17 against Cincy was an outlier. I wouldn't expect that type of behavior from him going forward but we'll see.

The Buffalo Bills are quietly having an excellent free agent signing period. They are addressing critical needs with a number of solid, reasonably priced players. And they still have substantial money available to make another couple of impact signings.

With the #9 pick and 10 picks total in the draft the Bills IMO will be a dark horse team with the potential to jump into the playoffs next year.

The Buffalo Bills are quietly having an excellent free agent signing period. They are addressing critical needs with a number of solid, reasonably priced players. And they still have substantial money available to make another couple of impact signings.

With the #9 pick and 10 picks total in the draft the Bills IMO will be a dark horse team with the potential to jump into the playoffs next year.

Agreed, lotr. The Bills have been very active in FA this year. They killed it with the Moose signing at center, not sure why they even brought in Bodine last year. They now have a solid WR core, albeit no #1 guy. They added good depth (if not a potential starter or two) to their offensive line and CB. Gore and Kroft are great back up guys too. Where do you see them going with the #9 pick? I think they can snag a good TE in rounds 2-3.

Agreed, lotr. The Bills have been very active in FA this year. They killed it with the Moose signing at center, not sure why they even brought in Bodine last year. They now have a solid WR core, albeit no #1 guy. They added good depth (if not a potential starter or two) to their offensive line and CB. Gore and Kroft are great back up guys too. Where do you see them going with the #9 pick? I think they can snag a good TE in rounds 2-3.

The AFC East is getting tougher, the Jets and Bills now have QBs and were active in FA. Here is how I would rank the AFC Divisions in terms of over all depth:

South
East
West
North

AB is a complete narcissist get out of here :laugh:

I think that some of these guys would take a big steamin' dump in the middle of a Team Office's front lobby if they thought it would force a team's hand and get the player his way. Narcissistic behavior both comes naturally to WRs AND seems to do the trick.

One of these owners needs to just take one for the league and let one of these guys rot a few prime years, to show everyone that it could happen.

Taco if they get the right offer the Bills will trade down to collect more picks. If they stay at #9 I'm thinking they'll go for an OT or DT.

BTW, when you watch Josh Allen highlights the first thing you notice is what a cluster frack the center position for the Bills was. Immediate pressure up the middle on almost every pass play had Allen running for his life. That the kid showed great improvement over the year was a minor miracle. With Morse the Bills have significantly upgraded their pass protection.

Also take a look at Brown's numbers when Flaco was QB. They were outstanding and he was on his way to a great season averaging 18 yards per catch. Obviously with Jackson starting the Ravens offense changed big time and Browns production dropped through the floor. Now with Brown & Foster the Bills have 2 of the fastest WR's in the NFL. With Allen's strong arm & ability to hit any point on the field, Cole Beasley must be salivating at the space he's going to see underneath the coverage when those two are going deep.

I think acquiring more picks is the best bet for the Bills right now, they have a few more holes to fill. I'm going to keep a closer eye on the Bills this coming year. I've always appreciated the fan base (much like Cleveland) and enjoy the romance between the two franchises since the Bengals beat the Ravens to send the Bills to the playoffs.

Also take a look at Brown's numbers when Flaco was QB. They were outstanding and he was on his way to a great season averaging 18 yards per catch.

Joe Flacco is also an accurate QB (62%) while Josh Allen (52%, which is horrible) is not.

Joe Flacco is also an accurate QB (62%) while Josh Allen (52%, which is horrible) is not.

IMO this is not true. Analysis of Allen's throws have shown that the accuracy issue is overblown - he had more throwaways & dropped passes then most QB's in the NFL. He also arguably had the weakest set of skill players trying to run routes and catch the ball then any other QB in the NFL including Rosen at Arizona. And his pass protection was tied with Arizona for worst in the NFL.

As an example, before he was hurt and missed 4 games Allen was sacked 21 times in 5 games despite his being the most athletic QB in the NFL. Sitting on the bench and working with veteran QB Derrick Anderson Allen learned the value of throwing the ball away and he was only sacked 7 times in the final 6 games. And trust me when I say his O-line was worse after he came back from injury (due to injuries on the line). Obviously this drop in sacks was due to throw away's which killed his completion %.

True Allen will never be a 65% passer but he will be a 60% completion passer. Allen doesn't dump the ball off very much in part because of his gun slinger mentality and in part because the Bills didn't have the RB/TE talent to make dump offs worth the effort. Allen pushes the ball downfield and IMO that's a good thing.

As for Flacco, his throws to Brown were not high percentage passes but deep throws which Allen is strong at. Brown averaged over 18 yards a catch with Flacco. Brown is a savvy vet and he knows that with Allen at QB he'll generate the numbers he was at Baltimore with Flacco at QB.

IMO this is not true. Analysis of Allen's throws have shown that the accuracy issue is overblown - he had more throwaways & dropped passes then most QB's in the NFL. He also arguably had the weakest set of skill players trying to run routes and catch the ball then any other QB in the NFL including Rosen at Arizona. And his pass protection was tied with Arizona for worst in the NFL.

As an example, before he was hurt and missed 4 games Allen was sacked 21 times in 5 games despite his being the most athletic QB in the NFL. Sitting on the bench and working with veteran QB Derrick Anderson Allen learned the value of throwing the ball away and he was only sacked 7 times in the final 6 games. And trust me when I say his O-line was worse after he came back from injury (due to injuries on the line). Obviously this drop in sacks was due to throw away's which killed his completion %.

True Allen will never be a 65% passer but he will be a 60% completion passer. Allen doesn't dump the ball off very much in part because of his gun slinger mentality and in part because the Bills didn't have the RB/TE talent to make dump offs worth the effort. Allen pushes the ball downfield and IMO that's a good thing.

As for Flacco, his throws to Brown were not high percentage passes but deep throws which Allen is strong at. Brown averaged over 18 yards a catch with Flacco. Brown is a savvy vet and he knows that with Allen at QB he'll generate the numbers he was at Baltimore with Flacco at QB.

What evidence leads you to believe that he will ever be a "60% completion passer?" His best collegiate years were 56% at Yee Haw Wyoming then he comes to the league and completes 52%. History says that guys with poor completion percentage in college don't suddenly have a light go off and they increase 5-8% against tougher competition.

What evidence leads you to believe that he will ever be a "60% completion passer?" His best collegiate years were 56% at Yee Haw Wyoming then he comes to the league and completes 52%. History says that guys with poor completion percentage in college don't suddenly have a light go off and they increase 5-8% against tougher competition.

I've been part of a spirited discussion at two Bills drive about exactly this topic and it started the day he was drafted. I don't have the energy to engage in it here but I would throw out:

* Allen has had a weird journey to the NFL. During high school and one year at Jr College he had no formal QB training. He never attended any camps and even at Wyoming he received only rudimentary QB training.

* Jordan Palmer did wonders for Allen's mechanics in just a couple of weeks leading up to the draft and he jumped into the top 10 picks of the 1st round as a result.

* The Bills plan was to have Allen sit out this year and learn how to be an NFL QB. That blew up on them big time. Suffice it to say that Allen did not have a true QB coach and NO veteran QB to help him out during the Summer. He also took the fewest number of snaps with the 1st team during the preseason games. He was truly thrown to the wolves this year.

* He floundered early for all these reasons after he was inserted into the starting lineup on the road in the 2nd half against the Ravens in week 1. It also didn't help that he was arguably surrounded with the worst collection of offensive talent in the NFL.

* But Allen did something remarkable through the course of the season - he significantly improved. His numbers for the last 6 games after he came back from injury were much better then his numbers in his first 5 games.

I believe and I know I'll be laughed at for saying this, that Allen will turn out to be the best QB of this years class. And that's saying something because this is the best class of QB's since that famous Jim Kelly, Dan Marina, etc class back in the 1980's.

IMO Allen's upside is to be a Cam Newton, John Ellway, Brett Farve type of QB. remember Newton has struggled to be a 60% passer until he got McCaffrey. Only time will tell but I predict that folks who take Allen in fantasy football are going to be very happy next season.

Like you said, "I don't have the energy to engage in it" but, in a nutshell, he's bad. You can try to gloss over it every which way but he's not a good QB. His saving grace is that he's athletic enough to run with the ball or his completion % would likely be worse with more picks.

I concur. I was hoping the browns would take him because I didn't think too highly of him!

Yeah, his WRs in college weren't great at that level, but you can bet against those lesser defenses his wideouts were going to be much more open than in the NFL.

I just didn't see him being that good and his completion percentage wont ever be that great unless they go to a complete dink and dunk sort of offense.

AB is a complete narcissist get out of here :laugh:

AB played the Steelers real bad ... all for a new contract .... he was everywhere before the trade with blue hair white mustache talking all crazy ... get to Oakland/LV and it all gone talking really quiet and low key ... and the Steelers got almost nothing for him :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I concur. I was hoping the browns would take him because I didn't think too highly of him!

Yeah, his WRs in college weren't great at that level, but you can bet against those lesser defenses his wideouts were going to be much more open than in the NFL.

I just didn't see him being that good and his completion percentage wont ever be that great unless they go to a complete dink and dunk sort of offense.

I had him ranked 5th or 6th (think it was 6th) in that class behind Lamar Jackson and Rudolph.

I agree with both you and BR here on Allen.

It was a great relief to me when we did not draft him, and he was the only one of the top 4 QB prospects in that draft that I wanted NO part of. I've seen very little recently to change my opinion.

He has exhibited years of bad tendencies, and has a very small sample size showing him doing the right things under pressure. Time will tell, but I think he'll be an ongoing source of frustration for Bills fans.

AB played the Steelers real bad ... all for a new contract .... he was everywhere before the trade with blue hair white mustache talking all crazy ... get to Oakland/LV and it all gone talking really quiet and low key ... and the Steelers got almost nothing for him :laugh::laugh::laugh:

DescriptiveKindlyAfricanparadiseflycatcher-size_restricted.gif

I agree with both you and BR here on Allen.

It was a great relief to me when we did not draft him, and he was the only one of the top 4 QB prospects in that draft that I wanted NO part of. I've seen very little recently to change my opinion.

He has exhibited years of bad tendencies, and has a very small sample size showing him doing the right things under pressure. Time will tell, but I think he'll be an ongoing source of frustration for Bills fans.

I personally think he's a MUCH more athletic version of Derek Anderson. Checks all of the boxes physically and has a cannon for an arm but can't hit the broad side of a barn. Their completion %'s are also fairly comparable.

I personally think he's a MUCH more athletic version of Derek Anderson. Checks all of the boxes physically and has a cannon for an arm but can't hit the broad side of a barn. Their completion %'s are also fairly comparable.

So if a QB had a 52% in college ... you would say that there is no way for him to go onto lets say a Hall of Fame career right?

While I am not comparing these two athletes ... I am just saying it can happen ...

Joe Montana had a career completion percentage of 52% in college ... end up with a 63% completion percentage in the pros and one of the greatest QB in the history of the game.

Matt Stafford had a 57% completion percentage in college ... in his first 4 or 5 years was about 59% completion percentage in the pro ... since then is about 65%

Drew Brees was a sub 60% completion percentage his first 3 years in the pros ... since a 69/70% rate ... players can improve is the point I am making.

While I am not guarenting anything about Josh Allen ... I also would not right him off just yet ... he has all world talent ... if he puts in the work and has the right mental makeup he could improve significantly ... I don't know if he will or not ... I just know that he has show flashes of real talent ... he did improve as the season progressed ... righting him off now as a bust is a little bit premature in my opinion.

So if a QB had a 52% in college ... you would say that there is no way for him to go onto lets say a Hall of Fame career right?

While I am not comparing these two athletes ... I am just saying it can happen ...

Joe Montana had a career completion percentage of 52% in college ... end up with a 63% completion percentage in the pros and one of the greatest QB in the history of the game.

Matt Stafford had a 57% completion percentage in college ... in his first 4 or 5 years was about 59% completion percentage in the pro ... since then is about 65%

Drew Brees was a sub 60% completion percentage his first 3 years in the pros ... since a 69/70% rate ... players can improve is the point I am making.

While I am not guarenting anything about Josh Allen ... I also would not right him off just yet ... he has all world talent ... if he puts in the work and has the right mental makeup he could improve significantly ... I don't know if he will or not ... I just know that he has show flashes of real talent ... he did improve as the season progressed ... righting him off now as a bust is a little bit premature in my opinion.

It's not totally impossible but you're citing a couple of rare outliers. Like I said in my initial comments, "history" shows it's not the norm. There may be a few rare exceptions but it's not common.