IVC Football 2019

I bet the interview was fun.
"So where do you stand on telling the players' parents to fell-ate you?"

Considering how long the interview process lasted and how many candidates supposedly turned down the job I bet there were some interesting interview questions!

how many stadiums will now have turf or have had upgrades or will have upgrades in the league now? I do know the grass field for TCC is really nice.

Yeah whoever sodded and cares for the grass at TCC deserves a medal, hands down best grass field I've seen. I only wish they took advantage of not having a track around it and would move the bleachers closer to the action.

Since we are still a little over six months away from any actual football talk I thought this might be an interesting. I’d be interested to hear from other fans what they think the ceiling is for the various IVC programs in the next 5-10 years.

Taking into account divisions and regions, what teams have the athletes, facilities, coaches, administrative support, etc. to make a serious run at winning the IVC’s first state title in football?

Break it down however you’d like. I’m ranking mine from 1-14 with what I feel the goal for each program should be.

#1 - East Canton (Deep playoff runs) - I really wasn’t sure who to put #1 but the reality is East Canton has proven in other sports they can compete at the state level and they are Division VII in football. They have nice facilities and always seem to have good athletes. This is really a diamond in the rough kind of pick though because if you look at their history it’s not all that impressive. Is it just the matter of getting the right coach in place? Spider Miller has taken over and the Hornets have made three straight playoff runs and won a game the last two seasons. I feel like the potential for a great program is there but can they actually do it?

#2 - Malvern (Deep playoff runs) - Malvern has made a couple deep playoff runs in the past and once again being DVII is huge in my opinion. I don’t think Malvern has the athletes East Canton has year in and year out so I put them behind East Canton. Do I think they are the second best program in the IVC??? No, not at all. But as Tucci showed this program can make it deep into the playoffs if you get everything in place.

#3 - Ridgewood (Consistent playoff wins) - Ridgewood is the best program in the IVC but they are also Division V. I feel like Ridgewood is the most consistent program but it’s a lot harder to compete deep into the playoffs in Division V than it is in Division VII. Having said that they do have a fairly friendly region to compete in so I could see some deeper playoff runs in the near future.

#4 - Garaway (Consistent playoff wins) - Garaway has been building a really good program but I don’t think they are quite at Ridgewood’s level. Also, I think most of us still think of Garaway as a basketball school. I actually think being DVI makes it harder to go deep in the playoffs than if they were in DV because Mogadore and Kirtland are in this region. Garaway might be able to knock off one of them in a given year but beat both of them? Seems unlikely.

#5 - Indian Valley (Consistent playoff wins) - I mean I respect the Indian Valley program but as long as they are DIV it’s hard to imagine them winning more than a game or two in the playoffs especially with the schedule they play (mostly DV and DVI schools). I’m not sure they will get a more talented class than they just had and the second round was as far as they could go. I can see them continuing to be one of the top dogs in the IVC but not sure they can compete on a state level.

#6 - TCC (Make playoffs) - This was the hardest one to slot simply because the right coach could attract talent and being in DVII you never know what could happen. It’ll be interesting to see if they can build off of last year’s surprise playoff appearance. There is a part of me that really believes they are the IVC school most likely to win a state title but they don’t really seem motivated to try and attract talent like other parochials do.

#7 - Sandy Valley (Make playoffs) - I know Sandy has had a couple good years but it’s been mostly against DVI and DVII schools and Sandy is in DV. That doesn’t bode well for the Cardinals and until they make the switch to the big school division it’s hard to see them doing anything but getting knocked out in the first round.

#8 - Buckeye Trail (Winning seasons) - This is really hard for me to judge because I have only seen Trail play once with them being so new to the IVC. I put them here simply based on their record over the past 10 years although it feels like they have things going in the right direction. Playing in the North they get several DVII schools each year so they have a numbers advantage but that can also hurt playoff chances.

#9 - Claymont (Winning seasons) - Claymont has had some nice season recently (see 2017) but as long as they are in the IVC and DIV they probably have to go 9-1 each year to make the playoffs. However, the decisions they have made in terms of coaching makes it hard to have any confidence in the administration. They went 1-9, 6-4, 8-2 and within seconds of a league title and a playoff spot and their coach got fired and replaced by someone with no experience. Can they get out of their own way to ever be consistently successful?

#10 - Strasburg (Winning seasons) - Similar to Buckeye Trail, Strasburg’s past makes it hard to put them very high on the list. They’ve had one winning season since 2005 and the reality is is Strasburg is a basketball school and anyone who tries to make football important is probably going to be met with resistance.

#11 - Tusky Valley (Winning seasons) - How long has it been since Tusky Valley has been relevant in any sport? I know their football program was solid in the early 2000s but it feels like it’s been forever they’ve been good in anything. When you’ve been as consistently bad as they have been you have to wonder why. At least you can count on Strasburg to be good in basketball.

#12 - Newcomerstown (Win games) - Do I really need to type anything?

Does anybody remember some really awesome teams from Newcomerstown? I do. Seemed like a powerhouse every year. Maybe too long ago for anyone to remember.

:rolleyes:

Late 90s/Early 2000s they were always good. I think they even had a pretty good season a few years ago. But right now they aren't even remotely competitive in anything. It's tough.

Found this online. Seems impossible.

Before that, he spent the previous eight seasons at Newcomerstown, where he had very good success with an overall record of 60-21.

Cook’s teams did not have a losing season at Newcomerstown while winning Inter-Valley Conference titles in 1996, 1997 and 2001. In 2000, Cook guided Newcomerstown to the Division V playoffs for the first time ever, while in 2001, they went 10-0 and then followed that up with 7-3 in his final season in 2002 before heading on to take the challenge of turning around River View.

Yep I played on those teams you guys are talking about. We were very dominant year in year out. Then cook left and the culture went with him. What an amazing coach we had. I hope that one day they can return to being on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this online. Seems impossible.

Before that, he spent the previous eight seasons at Newcomerstown, where he had very good success with an overall record of 60-21.

Cook’s teams did not have a losing season at Newcomerstown while winning Inter-Valley Conference titles in 1996, 1997 and 2001. In 2000, Cook guided Newcomerstown to the Division V playoffs for the first time ever, while in 2001, they went 10-0 and then followed that up with 7-3 in his final season in 2002 before heading on to take the challenge of turning around River View.

Yep I played on those teams you guys are talking about. We were very dominant year in year out. Then cook left and the culture went with him. What an amazing coach we had. I hope that one day they can return to being on top.

Holdsworth was also a pretty good coach in the '70s.

This list only goes to the end of the 2007 season:

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/25492e_299760e0fc474f609c628362a971dec3.pdf

Yeah back in my day the big dogs were StrasVegas with Coach Hurst, Tusky Valley (I forget the coach) and Newc with Coach Cook.

Very pleased with what Spider Miller has accomplished at East Canton. Right coach at right time. Smaller schools suffer when successful young coaches move up to bigger jobs. Spider is past the point of padding his resume. He can build a solid program at EC and leave that as his legacy.

His give a sh** factor is huge. He gets the boys out to play. East Canton deserved a winner.

My early guesses

North

Sandy Valley
East Canton
Buckeye Trail
TCC
Malvern
Strasburg

South

Ridgewood
Garaway
Indian Valley
Claymont
Tusky Valley
Newcomerstown

After talking to some people this weekend my predictions have changed a bit.

North

Sandy Valley
Buckeye Trail
East Canton
TCC
Malvern
Strasburg

South

Ridgewood
Garaway
Indian Valley
Claymont
Newcomerstown
Tusky Valley

After talking to some people this weekend my predictions have changed a bit.

North

Sandy Valley
Buckeye Trail
East Canton
TCC
Malvern
Strasburg

South

Ridgewood
Garaway
Indian Valley
Claymont
Newcomerstown
Tusky Valley

Newcomerstown ahead of Tusky Valley. First person i have seen on here give Newc even a little love.

I don’t see Newcomerstown being ahead of TV. I think they have a shot of beating either Fairfield Christian Academy or Conotton in their non league schedule. But other than those two, I don’t see them winning another game. They could be competitive with trail, claymont or Strasburg but don’t think they’ll win any of those three.
I’m hearing positive things coming from strasburg. Hopefully they can turn that program around and get it going again.

I don’t see Newcomerstown being ahead of TV. I think they have a shot of beating either Fairfield Christian Academy or Conotton in their non league schedule. But other than those two, I don’t see them winning another game. They could be competitive with trail, claymont or Strasburg but don’t think they’ll win any of those three.
I’m hearing positive things coming from strasburg. Hopefully they can turn that program around and get it going again.

Newcomerstown will not be ahead of the biddy team I coach. It's sad that it has come to this. There is no interest and any kid that has a spec of athletic talent just leaves. The brass at Newcomerstown really needs to rethink their thought process. The current coach is not the answer but they will keep bringing him back either A. because he's one of the good ole boys, or B. because no one else wants that job. I heard grumblings of them trying to lure Cabot away from Ridgewood but I don't see him leaving anytime soon as long as he can continue to ride Tingle's coat tail. Looking back, Slusher looks like a genius when he convinced Cabot to play the Tingle kid as a freshman. Excited to see what he can bring to the table as a sophomore.

Newcomerstown will not be ahead of the biddy team I coach. It's sad that it has come to this. There is no interest and any kid that has a spec of athletic talent just leaves. The brass at Newcomerstown really needs to rethink their thought process. The current coach is not the answer but they will keep bringing him back either A. because he's one of the good ole boys, or B. because no one else wants that job. I heard grumblings of them trying to lure Cabot away from Ridgewood but I don't see him leaving anytime soon as long as he can continue to ride Tingle's coat tail. Looking back, Slusher looks like a genius when he convinced Cabot to play the Tingle kid as a freshman. Excited to see what he can bring to the table as a sophomore.

OK, OK, OK. Maybe I got a little carried away. Here is my new updated predictions for the south.

1. Ridgewood
2. Garaway
3. Indian Valley
4. Claymont
5. Circle K's Biddy Team
6. Newcomerstown
7. Tusky Valley

Slusser sure did prove you wrong Circle K. I can remember back in 2017 you were against the Tingle kid starting as a freshman.
Hopefully you are a better talent evaluator with your biddy team. Maybe slush can help you pick your starting lineup this fall. If you let him do that, your biddy team will win the Coshocton county biddy championship for sure.

Looks like Ridgewood then everyone else this year in the big school. Who is the favorite in the small? My guess is Sandy? Sounds like most of the coaching staffs are the same. Claymont brings back a bunch of old guys who never won. Tusky has a whole new staff after the drama there. IV graduates a big part of their team but I believe the same staff. Sandy still has their QB? That kid is pretty good.

Hearing great things about the Stangs. Opening up the offense and guys in the weight room.

Great things and Stangs... First time those words have been in the same sentence in a long time. I'll believe it when I see it.

Looks like Ridgewood then everyone else this year in the big school.

Sounds like Garaway got a major influx of talent this offseason from the next district over... I wouldn't count them out.

Where is this major influx of talent coming from? They had a transfer mid season last year that sat out. I hadn't heard of any other kids.

Looks like Ridgewood then everyone else this year in the big school. Who is the favorite in the small? My guess is Sandy? Sounds like most of the coaching staffs are the same. Claymont brings back a bunch of old guys who never won. Tusky has a whole new staff after the drama there. IV graduates a big part of their team but I believe the same staff. Sandy still has their QB? That kid is pretty good.

SV’s QB is back. He’ll be a Jr.

Where is this major influx of talent coming from? They had a transfer mid season last year that sat out. I hadn't heard of any other kids.

Didn't Garaway beat Ridgewood last year? They both essentially have the same teams returning with Garaway adding pieces from other school districts. Just pointing out how ludicrous it is for that dude to say it is Ridgewood and then everyone else. I wouldn't count out IV either, they have had more success than any area program this decade and it isn't an accident.