Ask The Ref?

There is no thread like this on the college football forum, so thought I would ask here. During the course of the bowl games I hear this is an ACC crew, Mountain West crew, etc.
Are these "all star" crews from the conference, or a crew from that conference that have worked together all season?

There is no thread like this on the college football forum, so thought I would ask here. During the course of the bowl games I hear this is an ACC crew, Mountain West crew, etc.
Are these "all star" crews from the conference, or a crew from that conference that have worked together all season?

Sometimes there are multiple guys on a crew that work together regularly. The majority of the time it's the highest rated at each position that get the bowl assignments.

Sorry if its been asked many times before, but do refs (or someone representing them) ever call a coach later to apologize if they blew a huge call in a big game (like really bad) esp. if it might have affected the outcome? Not judgment calls, but what would be obvious overturns like a foot in bounds or clear fumble etc. They are human. I feel like I would.

Sorry if its been asked many times before, but do refs (or someone representing them) ever call a coach later to apologize if they blew a huge call in a big game (like really bad) esp. if it might have affected the outcome? Not judgment calls, but what would be obvious overturns like a foot in bounds or clear fumble etc. They are human. I feel like I would.

Apologize ? ...... Never

Acknowledge ? ....... Yes

Apologize - Never? Is that a rule or something? But "acknowledge" is cool that pretty much answers my question, thanks.

Apologize - Never? Is that a rule or something? But "acknowledge" is cool that pretty much answers my question, thanks.

“Coach, I missed it”..... acknowledges the error.

I’m not going to be “sorry” that I missed a call...... I’m going to be upset, but not sorry. Hopefully, it’s a rare

The only time I would entertain an apology is if a rule were to be kicked......

....... which should never happen

Do you ever find yourself watching a play instead of watching your area?

I enjoy the game so much, that I could see myself getting lost in the game at times.

Probably why I should continue sitting in the stands....lol

The hardest thing is seeing an amazing play and not reacting to it.

Also, at home, my family gets mad when I count the players on defense out loud on every play.

I'm sure I know the answer, but thought I'd ask anyway. Was watching replay of a Texas high school play off game and the announcers were talking about how the "fair catch" on a kickoff had changed the game. If caught behind the 20 yard line the ball comes out to the 20. If caught in front of the 20 it goes to the receiving team at the spot where caught doesn't it?

I'm sure I know the answer, but thought I'd ask anyway. Was watching replay of a Texas high school play off game and the announcers were talking about how the "fair catch" on a kickoff had changed the game. If caught behind the 20 yard line the ball comes out to the 20. If caught in front of the 20 it goes to the receiving team at the spot where caught doesn't it?

Texas high school football is governed by NCAA rules, not NFHS rules.

Question came up on another thread. On a missed field goal attempt, say a 95 yard attempt,
1. Can the defending team return the miss so long as it does not reach the end zone?
2. Is the ball placed back at the original line of scrimmage, or where the ball rolls dead?

Question came up on another thread. On a missed field goal attempt, say a 95 yard attempt,

1. Can the defending team return the miss so long as it does not reach the end zone?

2. Is the ball placed back at the original line of scrimmage, or where the ball rolls dead?

A FG is a scrimmage kick. Should some miracle happen and the ball travels through the uprights K receives 3 points. On a miss B is entitled to advance the ball or if “downed” by K, B will take possession at that spot. Should the ball break the plane of Bs goal line it is a touchback and B gets possession at the 20YL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Any "points of emphasis" for the coming year?

All the complete editorializing of the new rules, editorial changes, and points of emphasis for the 2019 season will be finalized next month for publishing.

The POE's will be centered on....

- Proper Procedures for Weather Delays
- Expanded Neutral Zone as it Applies to Run or Pass Options
- Free-Blocking Zone and Legal Blocking

Last edited:
A FG is a scrimmage kick. Should some miracle happen and the ball travels through the uprights K receives 3 points. On a miss B is entitled to advance the ball or if “downed” by K, B will take possession at that spot. Should the ball break the plane of Bs goal line it is a touchback and B gets possession at the 20YL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw St. X line up for what was probably a 65 yd field goal for the exact purpose of getting the touch back, it worked!!! That was probably 20 or so years ago, I was dying in the stands because I was the only one who understood the rule. It was the only time I've ever seen it.

Is there a rule about wearing any type of pads other than helmets during 7 on 7's?
7.4.2) From June 1 to July 31, a member of an interscholastic football team may participate in an athletic contest, a tryout or any type of team or group training or practices with a non-school team. This would include 7-on-7 participation. (See General Sports Regulation 7.5 regarding coach’s involvement . . . the 10-day rule.)

Note: All activities must be non-contact and the only football equipment the player may wear are helmets and cleats

When is there is a 15 yard penalty after a TD scoring play (whether personal foul, taunting, or unsportsmanlike on either team) is it always assessed on the ensuring kickoff, or sometimes on the extra point? I vaguely remember seeing both scenarios but my memory may be playing tricks.

When is there is a 15 yard penalty after a TD scoring play (whether personal foul, taunting, or unsportsmanlike on either team) is it always assessed on the ensuring kickoff, or sometimes on the extra point? I vaguely remember seeing both scenarios but my memory may be playing tricks.
It's the option of the offended team. Generally the kickoff is chosen, but if it's late in the game and the try could be crucial to the outcome, you will certainly see the penalty assessed on the try.

An aside to the 15-yard penalty on scoring plays:
Several years ago I was covering a game where the defense drew a 15-yarder when the offense scored, then drew another on the extra-point.
The offended team chose to take both penalties on the kickoff, allowing them them kick off 30 yards farther down field — well onto the receiving team's half of the field.
However, that team's coach then had his kicker boot the ball into the end zone for a touchback instead of pooching it or trying an onside kick. He wasted a golden opportunity to really gain momentum, in my opinion.

If this has been asked and answered, I am sorry. This is my first time looking at this thread and I did not read much of it.
Does the comments made by the players/coaches or fans ever sway the call to go against that team?

While this forum is in place to discuss rules and mechanics, I'll address the following question and we'll leave it at that. (remember, you always have the ability and are encouraged to open a thread on your own outside of the ATR threads)

If this has been asked and answered, I am sorry. This is my first time looking at this thread and I did not read much of it.
Does the comments made by the players/coaches or fans ever sway the call to go against that team?

Possibly, in a very, very small percentage of officials.

To the vast, vast majority of officials, its just noise that has no bearing on what the official judges next,

Last edited:
If a player starts his motion by stepping towards the LOS is that a penalty?

Stepping towards the LOS in and of itself is not a foul. It is, however, a foul if any of the following occur.........

1) The step towards the LOS simulates the action that occurs at the snap
2) The step towards the LOS is clearly intended to cause B (defense) to encroach
3) After the legal step towards the LOS, the player or players of A (offense) do not come to an absolute stop and remain stationary simultaneously without movement of hands, feet, head or body for at least one second before the snap.
4) The ball is snapped while any A player is moving towards the LOS and not simulating action at the snap.

The foul for #'s 1 & 2 is a False Start. The ball becomes dead immediately.
The foul for #3 is an Illegal Shift. The ball remains live.
The foul for #4 is Illegal Motion. The ball remains live.

All 4 are penalized 5 yards from the previous spot.

Last edited:
Reading through the Pet Peeves forum reminded me of a play I saw a few years ago.
Late in the fourth, clock running, Team A gets first down. Ball has been spotted but ready for play has not been blown (believe the chains were not set yet). Team A snaps the ball and spikes it to stop the clock. What penalty is call for this?