Giants RB Saquon Barkley wins AP Offensive Rookie of the Year

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Saquon Barkley, described by some as a "generational running back," is The Associated Press 2018 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year.

The second overall draft pick who rushed for 1,307 yards and 11 touchdowns behind a weak New York Giants offensive line drew 26.5 votes from a nationwide panel of media members who regularly cover the league.

Barkley edged top overall draft pick Baker Mayfield, who earned 21.5 votes. In addition to the award, Barkley also will soon be sporting a chain -- courtesy of Mayfield -- as a result of a wager with the Cleveland Browns' rookie quarterback on the outcome.

Read more:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-saquon-barkley-wins-ap-offensive-rookie-year

Well deserved. If he stays healthy he has a chance to be one of the greatest of all time at the position.

He had a great season, and is certainly worthy of the award...but his presence improved the Giants by two wins...3-13 to 5-11. Mayfield had a much larger impact on the Browns and set the ALL-TIME record for TD passes by a rookie. It's basically a New York thing. Barkley plays for a NY team, and he's going to get the extra media love.

He have have been the OROY, but there is no doubt that Baker is the RPOY.

It is okay BM didnt win, it is just an individual award. He will use this as even more fuel for next year and expect to see him and browns in the AFC CHamp game vs the Chiefs. WHomever has home field will advance.

According to PFF the Browns finished the season with the 2nd best offensive line in the entire NFL. The Giants finished with the 21st best.

That pretty much tells the story about what each player was working up against. Baker was stellar because of his offensive line, Barkley was stellar despite his.

According to PFF the Browns finished the season with the 2nd best offensive line in the entire NFL. The Giants finished with the 21st best.

That pretty much tells the story about what each player was working up against. Baker was stellar because of his offensive line, Barkley was stellar despite his.

It also could be that the Browns offensive line was helped by Mayfield ... getting out of the wrong play or into the right play, or getting the ball out on time, scrambling away from a sack ... an example of one player making his team (line)better ... 7 games better ... how many games did Barkley make the Giants better? ... two?

I imagine many voters think that Mayfield is a "punk," so they voted for Barkley. I predicted it a while back, but it was because Barkley plays in New York

It also could be that the Browns offensive line was helped by Mayfield ... getting out of the wrong play or into the right play, or getting the ball out on time, scrambling away from a sack ... an example of one player making his team (line)better ... 7 games better ... how many games did Barkley make the Giants better? ... two?

Lmao such a reach. Keep telling yourself that Joey along with that goof who said the Browns would be playing the Cheifs in the AFC championship lmaooooo.

Lmao such a reach. Keep telling yourself that Joey along with that goof who said the Browns would be playing the Cheifs in the AFC championship lmaooooo.

Answer my original question ... if the Giants could pick one ... who would they take ... if you say Barkley then you are in dreamland!

I believe PFF had the Browns o-line highly ranked in 2017 too, but the team still went 0-16. Barkley had a great season, but Mayfield had a historic season AND turned around the entire culture of the NFL's worst franchise.

LOL....not a reach... look at the stats. Once Kitchens took over the offense, Mayfield was the least hit QB in the league. That was done by design (quick routes/reads, etc). When You Jackson & Haley were running the offense he was getting hit repeatedly.

The same thing happened with the Browns in 2007. In week 1, Charlie Frye got sacked like 8x's against Pittsburgh. They traded him and inserted Derek Anderson, who had a much quicker release. DA was one of the least sacked QB's in the league after that. Soooo....overnight the Browns became one of the worst pass protecting O-Lines to one of the best? Doubt it.

Last edited:
Blurb from MMQB that pretty well sums it up-

I was mostly good with the AP awards. The one I’d take biggest issue with is offensive rookie of the year. I think it should’ve been Baker Mayfield. But even with that one, Saquon Barkley had 2,000 scrimmage yards, so it’s kind of hard to gin up too much anger over it.