ESPN cancels Baseball Tonight

TroyTrojan05

ESPN has been a sinking ship for a while but this is my final straw.
I tried to put up with 24/7 Lebron coverage, NFL, and Stephen A Smith being on every hour. I will be switching to mlb network and fox full time now.

I will only watch live events from now on.

I mean, ESPN knows it's numbers, but this is just a ridiculous decision. I have pretty much tuned out ESPN except for live college football and basketball games.

If baseball ever wants to be relevant bc it really isnt with younger generations, they need to develop and promote in game betting. In game betting would be perfect for a sport like baseball with so many "plays" and time between each pitch. Would help the slow feeling of the game and drive interest.

It has already started to happen but in 20 yrs it will be known as "a sport my dad liked" bc if they dont capitalize on the younger generations

Baseball tonight was a very 80's / 90's program where there wasn't as much or many ways to injest baseball. I'm a Reds fan. I watch Reds games, the pre and post games shows about 140+ times per season. I don't tune into Baseball Tonight, or the MLB network's coverage because I just follow the Reds.

I watch PTI, and live NBA / NCAA college / football games on ESPN. Oh, and I do like some of the ESPN 60 or SC featured programs they have. Other than that, the talks shows and pre games shows are just too slanted to the most popular teams and it's just unwatchable. If you are a Lakers, Cowboys, Patriots, Red Sox, Yankees, fan its fine, but ESPN has just become too political for me.

If baseball ever wants to be relevant bc it really isnt with younger generations, they need to develop and promote in game betting. In game betting would be perfect for a sport like baseball with so many "plays" and time between each pitch. Would help the slow feeling of the game and drive interest.

It has already started to happen but in 20 yrs it will be known as "a sport my dad liked" bc if they dont capitalize on the younger generations

Agreed. The problem with losing the younger generation is:
a) pace of play / length of game
b) playoff / world series games catering to TV prime time - kids go to bed.

Kids that play baseball (like my younger son) watch the game. He is 25 now and still a big fan. Kids that don't play (my older son) never tune in.

Gave up ESPN when they got like FOX and CNN,BTN,Golf channel Ohio Fox is all I need.

They know their numbers better than I do, so I can only assume it’s a financial decision. It is kind of sad, bc I always thought they did a good job.

Kids that play baseball (like my younger son) watch the game. He is 25 now and still a big fan. Kids that don't play (my older son) never tune in.

MLB has never had any contact with the majority of youth programs. They should be doing everything in their power to create strong baseball communities. Seems that most of the kids playing baseball are "on a path" to play professionally. Very few are just local kids wanting to get outside and play a game anymore. Community baseball is nearly dead.

ESPN has its favorite son sports and right now because of their investments that would be SEC/ACC Football/Basketball and the UFC. Also, they tend to be very urban and social media driven so the NBA is at the top of their list and the Jump is the talk show they really get behind. And not to go liberal bashing on ESPN but watch the Jump then watch the Rachel Maddow show, the mannerisms and snarky comments from Rachel Nichols plus the satirical graphics are very similar.

image.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

MLB has never had any contact with the majority of youth programs. They should be doing everything in their power to create strong baseball communities. Seems that most of the kids playing baseball are "on a path" to play professionally. Very few are just local kids wanting to get outside and play a game anymore. Community baseball is nearly dead.

Very true. My son wanted to be "on a path", got a D-II college scholarship but that was as far as his talent took him. It did instill a love of the game. most of his non-teammate friends do not care about baseball.

ESPN has its favorite son sports and right now because of their investments that would be SEC/ACC Football/Basketball and the UFC. Also, they tend to be very urban and social media driven so the NBA is at the top of their list and the Jump is the talk show they really get behind. And not to go liberal bashing on ESPN but watch the Jump then watch the Rachel Maddow show, the mannerisms and snarky comments from Rachel Nichols plus the satirical graphics are very similar.

image.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Is Rachael Nicholls getting fat, or is that just a bad pic ?

Well, I don't know...she dropped four pounds just by getting a nose job.

For some reason African-American guys love Rachel Nichols, to me she looks like an average Jewish House-Frau from Long Island. I don't get it at all.

Last edited:
Nichols is not drop dead gorgeous, but she is very cute and isn't over the top. Michelle Beatle drives me nuts. She's a smart mouth and is very difficult to listen to.

Remember when Erin Andrews was a big deal. It seems like she's really dropped off. She was the sideline reporter at one of the AFC/ NFC championship games.

Rachel has always been a bit bigger and the reason why they didnt shoot her like they do their sex symbols.

I always liked her, as well as Beadle as well

Rachel has always been a bit bigger and the reason why they didnt shoot her like they do their sex symbols.

I always liked her, as well as Beadle as well

Me too,they are getting older but still sweet...BAM!