2018-19 Ohio State Basketball

Tubby Smith is the coach at High Point,he just keeps rollin'.

fyp :p

And, Nido Qubein is the president at nearby HPU. One of my co-workers graduated from the pricey, private school. Me? I'm a public school "product". :)

Bad loss today being up 7.this is a middle of pack tesm 5 through 7.Last year team was better..it who ohio state is this year.

The end of the MSU game the players let their coach down,more than a few need to step up or just sit down.

Holtmann has done a nice job getting 12 wins from this group thus far. They are just flat out not that talented. Best NBA prospect on team is Muhammed and he is marginal. They will be better next year when Holtmann's best recruiting class ever comes in led by DJ Carton who is a top 20 player in that class and the first true point guard we have had in a while. 2 other forwards in class are top 50 players as well and they will help immediately. Transfer point guard from FSU will be eligible too so they will have two point guards vs. none this year. CJ and Woods are not point guards. Some other guys playing now will probably be struggling to get minutes next year. I doubt Jallow plays at all and Andre W minutes will go down. Muhammed and Washington will play and Big Wesson and Young will as well. This years teams is not really a top 20 team as currently ranked....next year's will be!

Holtmann has done a nice job getting 12 wins from this group thus far. They are just flat out not that talented. Best NBA prospect on team is Muhammed and he is marginal. They will be better next year when Holtmann's best recruiting class ever comes in led by DJ Carton who is a top 20 player in that class and the first true point guard we have had in a while. 2 other forwards in class are top 50 players as well and they will help immediately. Transfer point guard from FSU will be eligible too so they will have two point guards vs. none this year. CJ and Woods are not point guards. Some other guys playing now will probably be struggling to get minutes next year. I doubt Jallow plays at all and Andre W minutes will go down. Muhammed and Washington will play and Big Wesson and Young will as well. This years teams is not really a top 20 team as currently ranked....next year's will be!

Agree on all points. I expected even more of a drop-off this year, so I've been pleasantly surprised at what Holtmann's gotten out of this team.

Be a battle to win half of the games the rest of the season,bench getting a lot of PT.

Guard play has been very disappointing. Will see how rest of the season plays out, right now not looking very good. Next year could be Holtmann's last if significant improvement is not made, Smith is not going too wait long to pull the trigger on a new coach.

Game threads are so much easier to read. So much clutter this way. Anyway I agree guard play has not been where it needs to be, if this squad is going to be a contender.

Guard play has been very disappointing. Will see how rest of the season plays out, right now not looking very good. Next year could be Holtmann's last if significant improvement is not made, Smith is not going too wait long to pull the trigger on a new coach.

Smith should go before this coach who I think has been outstanding,it's the players really letting him down.

LOL, bad post.

Yeah no chance Holtmann is going anywhere. His approval rating is still quite high IMO and he's only had 1 recruiting class so far. Should be much better with a 5* true PG coming next year. Jackson hasn't been up to leading this team. Let's not forget the Buckeyes were picked to finish like 12th in the league.

Side note: Loss to 'Cuse doesn't look so bad after their win over Duke.

Holtmann cannot play for these kids...people need to realize that this is still not his team. This year's freshmen are his only recruits, next year will help a lot too when those kids get here. He has seniors making stupid passes and taking bad shots....young players up and down....he cannot bench them all as 5 have to play. Many of the turnovers are unforced errors that a coach cannot stop.

Can put a fork in this season. Team lacks intensity, one thing not to be very good on the offensive end but not very good defensively either. As I stated in another post, Holtmann better win next year or he will be shown the door. People can make the excuse this is only his second year but Matta went 26 - 6 his second season at OSU and he took over for a team that was on probation.

Smith should go before this coach who I think has been outstanding,it's the players really letting him down.

Outstanding at Butler maybe but last year was all Matta's recruits, KBD, Tate.. These players are mostly Holtmann's recruits, either recruit better or coach better or both.

Holtmann isn't going anywhere. The first 2-3 years of this were going to be a major rebuild as the program had been rapidly trending downward in Matta's final years.

Last year they vastly outkicked reasonable expectations, and they started off this year the same and have started to come back to Earth. Hopefully they'll turn it around, but they were picked to finish 12th in the Big Ten for a reason. The talent top to bottom simply isn't very good, and it takes a great team effort and coaching for them to beat most league teams.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Holtmann isn't going anywhere. The first 2-3 years of this were going to be a major rebuild as the program had been rapidly trending downward in Matta's final years.

Last year they vastly outkicked reasonable expectations, and they started off this year the same and have started to come back to Earth. Hopefully they'll turn it around, but they were picked to finish 12th in the Big Ten for a reason. The talent top to bottom simply isn't very good, and it takes a great team effort and coaching for them to beat most league teams.

OSU should be good next year, lot of returnees and a good recruiting class coming in, but I get tired of people blaming this years record on Matta. Like I posted Matta took over a team that was on probation won 20 games his 1st season and went 26 - 6 his second season. What did put OSU behind the 8 ball was the timing of the firing of Matta, if anybody wants to place blame on this years record it should fall on Smith who fired Matta in June of 17 although Matta took over in similar conditions as he was hired in July of 04 taking over for O'Brien. Matta was fired because he was not hired by Smith, as Matta had only one season where he did not win 20 games and that was his last season when he went 17 - 15.

OSU should be good next year, lot of returnees and a good recruiting class coming in, but I get tired of people blaming this years record on Matta. Like I posted Matta took over a team that was on probation won 20 games his 1st season and went 26 - 6 his second season. What did put OSU behind the 8 ball was the timing of the firing of Matta, if anybody wants to place blame on this years record it should fall on Smith who fired Matta in June of 17 although Matta took over in similar conditions as he was hired in July of 04 taking over for O'Brien. Matta was fired because he was not hired by Smith, as Matta had only one season where he did not win 20 games and that was his last season when he went 17 - 15.

At this point I don't care if it was recruiting, player development, program culture, or some combination there of, things were really bad when Holtmann showed up. I loved Matta but it was apparent that issues with his health (back, foot, etc.) had greatly weakened his ability to operate the program, as had a lessening in the quality of his assistants over his last few years. I don't think things were ever going to rebound with him at the helm. When he exited the overall talent level was pretty bad, as was what was becoming an incredibly apparent culture of apathy as exhibited by players such as Marc Loving.

Holtmann started behind the 8 ball as Gene Smith waited too long to make a change, and essentially his only true recruit that first year was Kyle Young, who he brought with him from Butler. I expect things to get much better starting next year. As you said, plenty of returners and a much needed influx of talent. Hopefully they can rebound and finish somewhere in the middle of the pack in the league this year.

Can put a fork in this season. Team lacks intensity, one thing not to be very good on the offensive end but not very good defensively either. As I stated in another post, Holtmann better win next year or he will be shown the door. People can make the excuse this is only his second year but Matta went 26 - 6 his second season at OSU and he took over for a team that was on probation.

It was an excellent post because it is the truth, Holtmann is getting paid good money to fill the Schott and next year will be make or break season for him. I hope he succeeds but if he doesn't, bring somebody else in.

No, it's a terrible post and it definitely isn't true. You keep saying it won't make it any truer. Last year he got the team to overachieve and they lost most of their starters. This was expected but the hot start get people's (yours included, apparently) expectations entirely too high. He isn't going anywhere. Thank god Gene Smith is a smarter man than you and realizes there is very little talent for Holtmann to work with.

FWIW, he's getting paid to win basketball games, not to fill the Schott. :Ohno: