Woodstock Will Return This Summer, For Its 50th Anniversary

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Fifty years after the original Woodstock Music & Art Fair promised "three days of peace and music," one of its original organizers announced Wednesday that he is putting together Woodstock 50 for this summer. The event will be held over three days — Aug. 16-18 — on a 1,000-acre green space in Watkins Glen in upstate New York, near the Finger Lakes.

While the artist lineup will not be announced until next month, when tickets go on sale to the general public, The New York Times reported Wednesday that organizer Michael Lang is planning to book "a mixture of legacy bands, current pop and rap stars and, possibly, some news-making combinations."

To encourage younger attendees, the festival will offer a limited number of discounted passes for college students ages 18 to 25, which will go on sale by the end of January.

Read more:
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/09/683575133/woodstock-will-return-this-summer-for-its-50th-anniversary

Lol, maybe Green Day will get into another mud fight.

Woodstock '94:
green-day-5.jpg

Guy I knew went to, well, I guess it woulda been the 25th anniversary and he said it got pretty nuts. Want to say he said he slept one night in the back of a UPS truck that was on site as advertising.

Expect to see a lot of acts that are trying to do this purely for pub. Some older folks are worried it will turn into Coachella east which is now basically a pop music promotional event. They are trying to get some legacy acts to show up to give it cred but will Cardi B's handlers cede a prime slot to say a Santana?

By the way Watkins Glen is the right location if this is a big show. The infrastructure as a speedway is their to handle this type of crowd unlike the original location of Yasgur's Farm. The Allman Brothers Band , Grateful Dead, and The Band played the largest rock concert ever there in 1973, over 600,000 showed up for the gig.

sjo8B4m.jpg

Rock is pretty much on its last legs so it will probably be a bunch of new pop artists with what old acts are still around sprinkled in

Rock is pretty much on its last legs so it will probably be a bunch of new pop artists with what old acts are still around sprinkled in

Rock is dead as far as downloads, streaming, and radio is concerned but alive and selling very well when it comes to the concert business. This is a live event so if they want to sell tickets they will find a way to get some popular rock acts on the bill as Cardi B's fans will not truck out to Upstate NY for a show but Foo Fighter fans certainly will.

By the way Watkins Glen is the right location if this is a big show. The infrastructure as a speedway is their to handle this type of crowd unlike the original location of Yasgur's Farm. The Allman Brothers Band , Grateful Dead, and The Band played the largest rock concert ever there in 1973, over 600,000 showed up for the gig.

sjo8B4m.jpg

In that location or ever? I think there have been bigger concerts. Monsters of Rock '91 comes to mind.

Rock is dead as far as downloads, streaming, and radio is concerned but alive and selling very well when it comes to the concert business.

Yeah rock just isn't mainstream anymore. But there is still a ton of great music out there.

In that location or ever? I think there have been bigger concerts. Monsters of Rock '91 comes to mind.

The Summer Jam at Watkins Glen was a 1973 rock festival which once received the Guinness Book of World Records entry for "Largest audience at a pop festival." An estimated 600,000 rock fans came to the Watkins Glen Grand Prix Raceway outside Watkins Glen, New York on July 28, 1973, to see the Allman Brothers Band, Grateful Dead and The Band perform.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Jam_at_Watkins_Glen

Summer Jam was a ticketed show; the 1991 Monsters of Rock, 1.6 million, was a free show. By the way Rod Stewart claims a crowd of 3.5 million for a free show on Copacabana Beach in Brazil as the largest concert ever by a single performer.

By the way the Dead's Sound check for 100K the day before is legendary to the point it was part of an official release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km2MlSothJc

Rock is dead as far as downloads, streaming, and radio is concerned but alive and selling very well when it comes to the concert business. This is a live event so if they want to sell tickets they will find a way to get some popular rock acts on the bill as Cardi B's fans will not truck out to Upstate NY for a show but Foo Fighter fans certainly will.

Who are the popular rock acts? Of the 5 biggest I can think of the past 15 years (Foo Fighters, RHCP, Nickelback, The Killers, and The Black Keys), they either suck, haven't done anything in years, or have fallen out of popularity. The genre can still sell small venues but we're talking about a huge festival. What will bring the target audience (18-25) be stuff you've probably never heard of. Take a look at the Coachella lineup and tell me how much rock there is. I'm willing to bet the only act you somewhat recognize is Weezer.

The Summer Jam at Watkins Glen was a 1973 rock festival which once received the Guinness Book of World Records entry for "Largest audience at a pop festival." An estimated 600,000 rock fans came to the Watkins Glen Grand Prix Raceway outside Watkins Glen, New York on July 28, 1973, to see the Allman Brothers Band, Grateful Dead and The Band perform.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Jam_at_Watkins_Glen

Summer Jam was a ticketed show; the 1991 Monsters of Rock, 1.6 million, was a free show. By the way Rod Stewart claims a crowd of 3.5 million for a free show on Copacabana Beach in Brazil as the largest concert ever by a single performer.

By the way the Dead's Sound check for 100K the day before is legendary to the point it was part of an official release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km2MlSothJc

Gotcha', I had no idea Monsters of Rock was a free show.

Who are the popular rock acts? Of the 5 biggest I can think of the past 15 years (Foo Fighters, RHCP, Nickelback, The Killers, and The Black Keys), they either suck, haven't done anything in years, or have fallen out of popularity. The genre can still sell small venues but we're talking about a huge festival. What will bring the target audience (18-25) be stuff you've probably never heard of. Take a look at the Coachload lineup and tell me how much rock there is. I'm willing to bet the only act you somewhat recognize is Weezer.

Again I will give you in the recorded/streaming music category but live these guys make some serious coin. Acts like Mumford and Sons, Avett Brothers, One Republic, and in the pop rock category Imagine Dragons all do very well. Also the jam band scene is thriving with Phish and Dave Mathews continuing to sellout arenas and sheds.

Coachella is a LA slicko thing now more worried about selling premium packages than an authentic music festival. Look at a couple other festivals that announced this week and you will see Rock Acts, although mostly legacy acts, at the top of the bill.

Bonnaroo:
Phish headlines 2 nights including a 2 set festival closing spot. Also at the top of the bill in bigger fonts are Avett Brothers, The National, The Lumineers, and Brandi Carlile.

Bottle Rock:
Imagine Dragons (Yeah I consider them pop rock), Neil Young, and Mumford & Sons all headline. Also in bigger fonts are One Republic, Gary Clark Jr., & Santana.

Also a lot of the small font bands are rock as up and commers in the pop world usually cannot pull off a small stage festival spot and they tend to avoid it.

Take a look at the Coachella lineup and tell me how much rock there is. I'm willing to bet the only act you somewhat recognize is Weezer.

Fan of both old and new music, so I checked out the Coachella 2019 lineup. Of the following acts listed (which only includes ones where either I have downloaded their music, or I have at least listened to some of their music), the only one that might even be remotely considered rock would by Ty Segall (I have at least 10 of his songs downloaded):

1. Childish Gambino
2. Janelle Monáe
3. The 1975
4. Diplo
5. Jaden Smith
6. Beach Fossils
7. Tame Impala
8. Solange
9. Kid Cudi
10. Weezer
11. Aphex Twin
12. Wiz Khalifa
13. Mac DeMarco
14. Ty Segall
15. Ariana Grande
16. Khalid
17. CHVRCHES
18. Blood Orange
19. Unknown Mortal Orchestra

I'd consider Tame Impala and Mac Demarco rock as well. Tame Impala is one of the better bands going right now and Demarco is good as well.

Auggie do you know anything about The Peach up in Pennsylvania? I'm contemplating going with a buddy of mine this summer.

Agree. Started listening to them back in 2010 with Remember Me. Especially like 2012's Feels Like We Only Go Backwards and Mind Mischief.

I wasn't sold on their newer sound with their most recent album at first, but I really think it's the best they've put out yet. Lonerism is right up there with it though.

I'd consider Tame Impala and Mac Demarco rock as well. Tame Impala is one of the better bands going right now and Demarco is good as well.

Auggie do you know anything about The Peach up in Pennsylvania? I'm contemplating going with a buddy of mine this summer.

I have not been as at my age I prefer city festivals where I can grab an Uber back to hotel for AC and a roof over my head. Now I have many friends that think this along with Lockn' are the best jam band festivals. They basically have all the big names in the jam band scene so if that is your thing you should go.

Peach19-Lineup-1500px-1000x1545.jpg

By the way the hottest act right now in this scene is Joe Russo's Almost Dead. They are playing a 2,000 seat theater in CLE and sold out in minutes. Seatgeek has only a couple tickets under $200 with most well north of $200. Face was $50.

Again I will give you in the recorded/streaming music category but live these guys make some serious coin. Acts like Mumford and Sons, Avett Brothers, One Republic, and in the pop rock category Imagine Dragons all do very well. Also the jam band scene is thriving with Phish and Dave Mathews continuing to sellout arenas and sheds.

Coachella is a LA slicko thing now more worried about selling premium packages than an authentic music festival. Look at a couple other festivals that announced this week and you will see Rock Acts, although mostly legacy acts, at the top of the bill.

Bonnaroo:
Phish headlines 2 nights including a 2 set festival closing spot. Also at the top of the bill in bigger fonts are Avett Brothers, The National, The Lumineers, and Brandi Carlile.

Bottle Rock:
Imagine Dragons (Yeah I consider them pop rock), Neil Young, and Mumford & Sons all headline. Also in bigger fonts are One Republic, Gary Clark Jr., & Santana.

Also a lot of the small font bands are rock as up and commers in the pop world usually cannot pull off a small stage festival spot and they tend to avoid it.

I'm telling you Woodstock adding rock acts out of fear low ticket sales is straight delusion. Rock isn't going to attract their target audience. Expect it to look more like Coachella.

This is blasphemous .... There was only 1 Woodstock and that is the way it should stay. The 2nd one was a joke and this one will be worse.

Rock is not dead it just has gone underground with a rebirth of psychedelic and stoner rock bands....

Rock is not dead it just has gone underground with a rebirth of psychedelic and stoner rock bands....

I've been listening to so much SMOD on YouTube lately. Son Cesano, Red Scalp, King Buffalo, and REZN are some great new bands I've heard lately that you should check out. That whole scene is going strong right now it seems.