Alabama vs Clemson

Thank you all at Clemson for a wonderful win over the always #1 team,loved watching the highlights...outstanding defeat.

I got a kick out of that little weasel Rece Davis with his post-game mic in the faces of everyone from Clemson, trying to set them up to dis Bama.

Dabo and the QB Lawrence weren't giving Saban any bulletin board material.

As petty as vacating a season of wins, banning a bowl game the following season, and forcing the resignation of a very good coach and person?
All because of selling trinkets for tats?

Yes I realize these are VERY different circumstances. Sucks in both situations.

The tough part of this situation is whether there was intentional consumption of PEDs. But then again, the rule doesn't state intentionally present, only present.

My point exactly. Some of the NCAA rules are stupid. Why can't a kid do what he wants with his personal property? Should be able to trade is property for a tattoo. It is not going to improve his performance on the field. Even buying a kid a meal is illegal. The NCAA cracks down or minor stuff and allow more serious things to go unchecked.:dang:

Dish it out and you better be ready to take it. It's not like Alabama has beaten OSU recently.

Every other fanbase in college football would be lining up to lay into OSU and the Big 10 if you swapped OSU and Bama.

That's fair. Doesn't make it any less funny, especially all the ones who are doing it moreso out of sour grapes like Sns.

Top 4 or 6 were the exact same in the BCS Rankings to end the year. Or were you talking about the BCS plus one model?

No the reporter I wish I had the name said we should just go back to the top 2 playing. So just use BCS points and have 1 v 2 like before the playoff.

My number one contention is that Matchups matter. A 16 team playoff has way more matchup combinations then 4 obvious of course.
That’s not to say Clemson would not have walked through 3 previous playoff games if we have this many teams this year.

When you have to play way better teams 4 weeks in a row it is a way different animal.

If you want to have Clemson and BAMA for the next 10 year then just keep having the 4 team playoff.

Clemson and BAMA will continue to dominate their Conf while not playing any tough OOC teams. Yea Clemson play Texas AM next year but they will walk through the weak ACC.

Note: If you think all the extra games dont matter. Just look at the New England Patriots. They have never won a Super Bowl in the years they had to start the playoffs in the wildcard week. Getting to the Super Bowl via 2 home playoff games is a massive advantage, especially for a great football.

No the reporter I wish I had the name said we should just go back to the top 2 playing. So just use BCS points and have 1 v 2 like before the playoff.

My number one contention is that Matchups matter. A 16 team playoff has way more matchup combinations then 4 obvious of course.
That’s not to say Clemson would not have walked through 3 previous playoff games if we have this many teams this year.

When you have to play way better teams 4 weeks in a row it is a way different animal.

If you want to have Clemson and BAMA for the next 10 year then just keep having the 4 team playoff.

Clemson and BAMA will continue to dominate their Conf while not playing any tough OOC teams. Yea Clemson play Texas AM next year but they will walk through the weak ACC.

Note: If you think all the extra games dont matter. Just look at the New England Patriots. They have never won a Super Bowl in the years they had to start the playoffs in the wildcard week. Getting to the Super Bowl via 2 home playoff games is a massive advantage, especially for a great football.
I agree upsets happen and that is what makes sports so great. The CFP likes to control everything and keep upsets from happening. Also why the ACC and SEC wont go to a 9 game league schedule.

"Continue to not play any tough OOC games" is completely wrong in regards to Clemson. Your point about the ACC is spot on however they do schedule tough home and homes for OOC games

So Texas A&M isnt a tough OOC game? I'd say that is a tough game. They also play South Carolina every year which isnt crazy tough but it is still a perennial bowl team from a p5.

In 2016 and 2017 they played Auburn.

Not sure if it is a true OOC game but they do have ND in 2020. In 2021 they have only South Carolina in OOC.

2022: ND
2023: ND
2024: Georgia
2025: LSU

Bama playing Duke on a neutral field is a joke but Clemson does make it a point to schedule a tough OOC game every year outside of their rivalry with South Carolina

They pretty much have 2 p5 teams on their schedule every year.

The ND games are part of the conditional membership to the ACC for football. They play x amount of ACC teams in football as part of the agreement. The fact that they have UGA and LSU on the schedule down the line and they just finished up/start home-and-homes with Auburn and Texas A&M completely debunk the 'Clemson plays no one crowd.'

Bama on the other hand plays the system to the their advantage and who can blame them. If they lose one game next year and don't make it to the SEC title game, their OOC schedule shouldn't warrant a playoff spot - but who knows what the SEC looks like. They could have 7-8-9 teams ranked again and all those Bama wins look better than their OOC anyways.

Last edited:
It will be interesting going forward how much damage Alabama takes from this beatdown. This has never happened in Saban's tenure. He has the best recruiting class nearly every year. Kids wanted to play for the best. That shine might be a little bit gone from the Alabama mystique.

Clemson seems like the new Florida State. Play in a weak conference but have arguably the best program in college football. Losing in conference is going to be a rare thing for Clemson. It will come down to their out of conference and bowl games to determine how long their reign lasts.

Plus Clemson has a QB who looks like a sure top 5 draft pick and two freshman receivers who can apparently catch any hing thrown near them.

Plus Clemson has a QB who looks like a sure top 5 draft pick and two freshman receivers who can apparently catch any hing thrown near them.

Watching the 2018 Army All-Star game, they kept talking up this QB headed to Clemson who proceeded to throw 2 or 3 interceptions, not look in anyway in command and I was, "what?"

Guess that was just a bad day at the office.

What a night for Clemson. It was one of those games where Clemson could do no wrong, and Bama could do no right. The score was actually more lopsided than the game. Bama's yardage was about right with Clemson's, it was just Bama couldn't score when they got in the red zone.

Don't be shocked if those two teams tee it up again next season. Both are heads and shoulders above the crowd right now.

That's fair. Doesn't make it any less funny, especially all the ones who are doing it moreso out of sour grapes like Sns.

I don't know if it's sour grapes. More like what goes around comes around, and it just came around for Bama.

It will be interesting going forward how much damage Alabama takes from this beatdown. This has never happened in Saban's tenure. He has the best recruiting class nearly every year. Kids wanted to play for the best. That shine might be a little bit gone from the Alabama mystique.

Clemson seems like the new Florida State. Play in a weak conference but have arguably the best program in college football. Losing in conference is going to be a rare thing for Clemson. It will come down to their out of conference and bowl games to determine how long their reign lasts.

Without looking it up there was a year when Utah hammered the Tide in a Bowl Game (09'?). Bama seemed disinterested then, not the case now.

IMO Bama is still the best team. If they play 10 times Bama wins 7. This year's team simply peaked too early. It is tough to go poll to poll as champs, really tough. I do not care how old the kids/men are it is really difficult to stay focused.

Clemson caught fire at the right time. Period. OSU did the same in 2014.

Much like in 2014 Alabama abandoned the run game way too early. They were getting 8 to 9 yards in chunks and felt the need to pass every other down.

Anyone else catch the tid-bit during the game that over the last 5 years Saban has lost 24 assistants to Swinney's 4? No matter, bottom line is we saw the two most talented teams in college football. X's and O's? Nope. Jimmies and Joes.

And you are right on the last part. FSU played in the ACC and Miami in the Big Easy. Play 3 tough games a year. Still impressed with Miami 2001. Best team ever.

Without looking it up there was a year when Utah hammered the Tide in a Bowl Game (09'?). Bama seemed disinterested then, not the case now.

IMO Bama is still the best team. If they play 10 times Bama wins 7. This year's team simply peaked too early. It is tough to go poll to poll as champs, really tough. I do not care how old the kids/men are it is really difficult to stay focused.

Clemson caught fire at the right time. Period. OSU did the same in 2014.

Much like in 2014 Alabama abandoned the run game way too early. They were getting 8 to 9 yards in chunks and felt the need to pass every other down.

Anyone else catch the tid-bit during the game that over the last 5 years Saban has lost 24 assistants to Swinney's 4? No matter, bottom line is we saw the two most talented teams in college football. X's and O's? Nope. Jimmies and Joes.

And you are right on the last part. FSU played in the ACC and Miami in the Big Easy. Play 3 tough games a year. Still impressed with Miami 2001. Best team ever.

I think that's just a difference in system. Saban lures people with the promise of head coaching jobs or NFL prospects. Both coordinators and prospects.

I think Swinney is all about the Clemson dynasty and attracts like-minded players a coaches.

I was shocked to hear that the TV ratings were the lowest since 2012. So if you didn't watch the game, why not???

Two undefeated teams, both clearly the two best teams?? Is there that much disdain for Alabama and people just didn't want to potentially watch them win?

I was shocked to hear that the TV ratings were the lowest since 2012. So if you didn't watch the game, why not???

Two undefeated teams, both clearly the two best teams?? Is there that much disdain for Alabama and people just didn't want to potentially watch them win?

I watched, but understand why others wouldn't. Regardless if they're the two best teams, it's still repetitive. Fourth time they have matched up in the Playoff. Third time in the NCG. Wasn't that great of a game either, not even close to the first two NCG matchups. I'm sure the Monday night 8pm start time isn't helping either.

I think the schedule should be moved up. I don't like the long break after conference championships. Play the semi-finals 2 weeks after the conference championships, and then have the championship either the next Saturday or New Year's Day.

Monday is a bad night to have the game. College football is a Saturday event.

The disdain for Alabama probably helped the ratings and all the haters tuned in when they heard Bama was getting thumped.

When they go to an 8 team format I see the championship game being played on a Saturday night before Championship weekend in the NFL.

Mid December would be the first round at a home field.
Round 2 is 2 weeks later in the bowls around New Years
Last round would be 2 weeks later on Saturday of the NFL Championship sunday.
That way it gives fans ample time to plan and travel to the NC game no matter where it is in relation to the college.

It being on a Monday doesn’t matter when comparing it to the other games since the championship has been on a Monday since Texas vs Alabama was Thursday night in 2010. The drop was due to matchup fatigue

No one wants to watch these two play again in the CFP! The SEC needs to step up their game and keep Alabama out of it next season! I'm looking at you Georgia and LSU!

Very classy for the Clemson football team to accept a visit to the White House and President Donald Trump. I'm sure not all the players, coaches and administrators agree with everything Donald Trump does, but it's not about that. It's about honoring a national championship which is a great accomplishment.

Let's hope the pro athletes can take a cue from younger athletes.

Very classy for the Clemson football team to accept a visit to the White House and President Donald Trump. I'm sure not all the players, coaches and administrators agree with everything Donald Trump does, but it's not about that. It's about honoring a national championship which is a great accomplishment.

Let's hope the pro athletes can take a cue from younger athletes.

They won't if they're going to get McDonald's. At least Chipotle.

I'm not trying to bash Trump, and I know the media will(probably already has by now), blow it way out of proportion and make it a bigger deal than it is, but they really couldn't do better than McDonald's and Burger King? I mean come on, it's the White House.