Ohio State's future without Urban Meyer?

Ohio State's future without Urban Meyer?

• Better

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Worse

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Same

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters

I will be the eternal optimist. Hoping Schiano and Davis go to the NFL as a tandem to any team not called the Browns. Day makes good on simplifying the defence with Grinch as DC. The Bucks can then matchup their 4 and 5 star recruits against the 2 and 3 star recruits of the Iowa and Purdue type teams and avoid the head scratching losses. Happy New Year.

I think it was a mistake to go with an unknown like Day instead of someone like Campbell. Recruiting will probably drop off because of it.

I think it was a mistake to go with an unknown like Day instead of someone like Campbell. Recruiting will probably drop off because of it.

I would not want either.

Regardless I look for Day's career to resemble Larry Coker's after Butch Davis left or Mark Helfrich at Oregon after Chip Kelly left.

I think the coaching will be the same or better with the new OC but recruiting will be hard to match.

Hard to believe that they would be the same or better after losing one of the top coaches in NCAA football history.

The question wasn't relevance, it was whether they'd be better, worse or the same. I don't think they will be as good in the short term. Decent, relevant, sure, just a little of a drop off.

Woody's last couple of years were not great (9-3 and 7-4-1), so his successor, Earl Bruce, was not following a one loss #6 team. Day has a much higher standard to follow.

I don’t think even Urban Meyer himself could improve upon what they’ve been over the past seven years. There will be a mini correction at some point regardless of coach. I think they will continue at around the level Tressel had them at, but with better offense

I don’t think even Urban Meyer himself could improve upon what they’ve been over the past seven years. There will be a mini correction at some point regardless of coach. I think they will continue at around the level Tressel had them at, but with better offense

So nati title contenders, I can live with that

I think the coaching will be the same or better with the new OC but recruiting will be hard to match.

My thoughts exactly leading to the premise that unless they go 12-2 next year or better the program will slide due to lack of recruiting. If you can't recruit the right athlete coaching won't matter.

They will be fine going forward, like always.

Dennis Haskins showing at QB will go a very, very long way it recruiting for the QB position, one that OSU has lacked a bit in the past I believe. They dont churn out great QBs often enough.

Not sure what Saved by the Bell has to do with recruiting QBs but I am all ears

;);)

Last edited:
Some interesting wheels starting to turn on the new Day staff. According to a UM site Greg Mattison is leaving UM to become a DC at tOSU plus Bill Greene is reporting that Greg Schiano has been relived of his DC duties: https://247sports.com/college/michi...KEIqdEeLYwxU3MUGRh_A6KwJs-uXINQCpJmq51j0DSTuU

I don't understand this hire. Maybe have Johnson and Mattison mentor younger staff members? One good thing. Shouldn't have to worry about Mattison coaching one year and looking for a HC job the next. More likely to retire.

Same or Better! Even if the recruiting drops a smidgen, not having SUBUrban Meyer around to kneecap his own team repeatedly will be a breath of fresh air!

I don't understand this hire. Maybe have Johnson and Mattison mentor younger staff members? One good thing. Shouldn't have to worry about Mattison coaching one year and looking for a HC job the next. More likely to retire.

Mattison is a really good coach and recruiter. It's a solid hire, especially when paired with the other hires, and especially again because it's a punch in the gut to UM

Mattison is a really good coach and recruiter. It's a solid hire, especially when paired with the other hires, and especially again because it's a punch in the gut to UM

Back in the day ... when I was a HS head football coach at a smaller HS ... Mattison would stop in every year to check on our team ... even though we really never had a player on Michigan's level ... he was a class act ... always treated me like I was a coach with a pipeline of talent ... I have personally rooted for him ... really glad he is a Buckeye now!

The OSU train will keep rolling as long as recruiting remains at a high level. I think Urban showed Day that recruiting is the most important aspect of a great program. Day is trying to make OSU a place that appeals to top QB's and WR's as that is what the game is about these days. Keep putting guys in the league and hire coaches that are great recruiters and you will win. Not sure if he can equal Urban's 7 years with 90% win % but I think he can win a national title during his tenure and many Big 10 crowns.

Kelly is a bit of a milf these days

0233046_16x9.jpg

I think it's going to be very difficult to retain the same success as Urban has. But it's honestly up to the rest of the big ten. Fair or not fair, Urban has enjoyed a time period where there hasn't been much to counter him at Ohio State.
Let's face it, Michigan has been on a downer for a decade, Michigan State and Wisconsin was good for short periods during Meyer's 7 years, same with Penn State. So to say his record is a little inflated I think is fair.

If the Penn State/ Wisconsin/ Michigan State could return to form (and they don't even play Wisky every year) then you could have some issues. Can Ryan Day recruit like Urban? I think it's just going to be very difficult to keep the Buckeyes at that level.

Ohio State is Ohio State which means WINNING. If Day doesn’t get the job done by winning a ridiculously high percentage of games, they will go out and keep looking for someone who does. Make no mistake about that.