Julie foudy on why high school soccer is important for girls

Funny that the ECNL has looked at not allowing players to play HS but now that DA does it they are 100% against it. ECNL supporters are against the rule now that DA does it. Love seeing how they flip flop on the issue. Lets not forget not all ECNL clubs allow their players to play HS just check them out for yourself.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/hig...-ecnl-and-high-school-walk-tightrope_aid32569

Some key highlights:

"For now, the ECNL has kept with its original format and allows players to play for both high school and club. Will that change down the line? Maybe not tomorrow, but the league isn’t ruling out the possibility.

“We’ve talked about it. It’s been discussed,” ECNL commissioner Sarah Kate Noftsinger said. “It’s a hot topic. It’s something that gets people fired up left and right, and if you say the wrong thing you can start a wildfire. We’re in such a luxurious position. Look at the size of the United States. It’s massive. Geographically, it’s a huge country, and we have so many people. Every area of the country is so different, so saying the right thing or the wrong thing could be different in each market.”"

"It’s supremely difficult - if not outright impossible - to be recruited to a high-level college program by only playing high school soccer, and the level of play on offer in the ECNL is unquestionably far above what most players can find on the high school level. In that sense, a split down the middle would likely have the same effect on the girls side that it did for the boys. Players would choose club over high school in droves."

"On one hand, having players split their allegiances makes it tougher for ECNL teams to gather cohesiveness for national events and its playoff system. For instance, before Uhler’s LSC U18 side convened for the recent ECNL Texas event in Fort Worth last weekend, they hadn’t played or practiced together since December. They simply showed up in Fort Worth and jumped right into games.

When the players gathered for the first time on Friday before the team's initial game of the event, Uhler said they discussed how much quicker the pace was than high school. But that also meant a learning curve.

“We definitely don’t play as a team,” said Dallas Sting U16 coach Kioumars Rezaie, “because they go to different environments where they have different attitudes and personalities outside of club.”

Rezaie, who noted the challenges but said he’d support a split between the two, also cited the increased practice burden for his players that adds more risk for injury. Texas is currently in the midst of its high school season, so three days out of the week his players are coming to his strenuous two-hour practice sessions directly from high school practice. He said he's missing a not insignificant number of players through injury from their high school seasons."

Last edited:
Flip flop? Or look at all idea's and go with what's best. Seems like that's how this played out.

My older daughters both out of school now played with number of OE ECNL girls. We're talking just a couple years after the ECNL formed untill last year when my last one played. Heck the MND coach for years was an OE coach, the old Ross coach was an OE coach and the coach of the OE academy teams is one of the top high school coach in the states. Sure does not seem like an anti HS environment to me, or a flip flop. But hey, whatever coach...

the absolute partisanship of the second person on this thread is HILARIOUS. Here's a cray cray idea- how about simply post a NEUTRAL comment and see where the masses come out on it?? And to clarify, I am 100% FOR HS SOCCER and think anyone who doesn't agree is an idiot and greedy, but I would NEVER say that on a public forum. WAIT WHAT.

The article is from February 2014, almost 5 years ago. The article mentions that ECNL discussed the pros and cons of year-round, TWO YEARS before the creation of the DA. Aaaaand coach picked out his favorite quotes.

C'mon Bucky, I know your allegiances have switched but he didn't even try to make a good point, just bait the rest of us trolls. That's Trolling at it's finest. I get it. We're months away from club spring games. I'm bored. Bad posts are better than no posts at all.

The article is from February 2014, almost 5 years ago. The article mentions that ECNL discussed the pros and cons of year-round, TWO YEARS before the creation of the DA. Aaaaand coach picked out his favorite quotes.

C'mon Bucky, I know your allegiances have switched but he didn't even try to make a good point, just bait the rest of us trolls. That's Trolling at it's finest. I get it. We're months away from club spring games. I'm bored. Bad posts are better than no posts at all.

Agree with your point. Article is positive no matter who your child plays for. Don’t fall for the okey doke. I was sincere in my assessment of the article.

So with the DA in place, to help the US Scouts identify National Team players..

What the heck is the point of ODP these days? Why not eliminate that? Or is US Soccer still earning to much income off of that?

You all do know some ECNL Clubs have told their players they cant play HS right? I agree that 99.99% of kids should play HS unless during HS they are wearing the Red White and Blue and on a National Roster. I believe you should play for something larger than yourself. I have always advocated for HS play. I was merely pointing out that the ECNL looked at and had not ruled it out at the time of the article and the talks continued within the ECNL until DA came out with the rule (which I don't like personally). Then the ECNL used it as reason to dislike the DA and pretended like anyone that would think of doing that is wrong.

As a HS coach I had players from OE coming to me and saying that their OE Coach said if they played HS then their ECNL roster spot may not be saved. This was not a single occurrence and happened over several years. I did talk to DB about it and he said the Club allows them to play HS. I told him that he must have a rogue coach then. I have heard things have changed which is a good thing for the kids and the club. I assume that coach either moved on or got caught saying it and corrected.

What the heck is the point of ODP these days? Why not eliminate that? Or is US Soccer still earning to much income off of that?

It really helps to know what ODP is. ODP is not run by USSF. It is an arm of USYSA, and sanctioned through USSF (as is all club soccer).

I've said this before on Yappi, and I'll continue saying it. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Not every player will be identified properly and through the same channels. It doesn't matter if it's HS, club, ODP, USSDA, ECNL, or SAY. Development can happen, and will happen through all stages. Player identification can happen, and will happen through all organizations. The player pathway is definitely muddy waters, and hard to navigate at times. But, each player and family has the ability to pick an avenue that fits for the individual(s).

Take a look at the English national team in this summer's World Cup. There were maybe 2 starters who spent their main development years in Premier League academies. That means the majority were with "lesser" academies. They developed. They made it to the National Team. They turned out alright.

belied dat makes perfect sense

to much smoke and mirrors and time travel on these articles. bottom line honest answers please

can you play da and hs soccer in cincinnati
can you play ecnl and hs soccer in cincinnati

It really helps to know what ODP is. ODP is not run by USSF. It is an arm of USYSA, and sanctioned through USSF (as is all club soccer).

I've said this before on Yappi, and I'll continue saying it. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Not every player will be identified properly and through the same channels. It doesn't matter if it's HS, club, ODP, USSDA, ECNL, or SAY. Development can happen, and will happen through all stages. Player identification can happen, and will happen through all organizations. The player pathway is definitely muddy waters, and hard to navigate at times. But, each player and family has the ability to pick an avenue that fits for the individual(s).

Take a look at the English national team in this summer's World Cup. There were maybe 2 starters who spent their main development years in Premier League academies. That means the majority were with "lesser" academies. They developed. They made it to the National Team. They turned out alright.

So are you saying US Soccer needs more avenues to be seen? Im not being snarky, Im just asking.

So are you saying US Soccer needs more avenues to be seen? Im not being snarky, Im just asking.

Not necessarily saying MORE avenues are needed. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have one true "structure" (i.e., pyramid) where teams/players know where they stand in the pecking order. Teams move up as they compete. Players are able to move accordingly too.

But, in its current form, there are many avenues to explore. And, kids are free to choose which avenue they'd like. Some work for Player A that may not work for Player B, and vice versa. This could be based on a variety of things: family, multi-sport athlete, financial constraints, travel constraints, willingness, etc.

US Soccer needs to actually scout. That doesn't truly happen. Not how it should be done. A scout isn't watching someone play in A training session, or A game, or A weekend. It's a long-term investment. A season. Multiple seasons. Multiple games. Feedback.

ODP is nothing more than a money grab catering to lower level club parents who want to tell their friends that their kid is in the OLYMPIC DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM. Sounds really impressive at cocktail parties.

ODP is nothing more than a money grab catering to lower level club parents who want to tell their friends that their kid is in the OLYMPIC DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM. Sounds really impressive at cocktail parties.

That was always my thought regarding ODP. My daughters never participated seemed like a big waste of time and (more) money. Especially when i saw the level of talent that was participating. Hey look at my kid.

CoachG,
We've been here before and I think your line of OE discouraging HS soccer is BS. I would think if they told anyone this, it was to try to pressure them to quit OE which I doubt.
Here's my point. I am not a fan of OE and Doug & Tim are jackasses in my opinion. My daughter played fall club ball for them one season and there was no indication from the OE parents that their kids were encouraged to not play for their High School. My daughter did not get any indication of such from the players either. OE fall ball was a better option for my daughter than her High School and it did reinforce my opinions of Tim and Doug.

CoachG,
We've been here before and I think your line of OE discouraging HS soccer is BS. I would think if they told anyone this, it was to try to pressure them to quit OE which I doubt.
Here's my point. I am not a fan of OE and Doug & Tim are jackasses in my opinion. My daughter played fall club ball for them one season and there was no indication from the OE parents that their kids were encouraged to not play for their High School. My daughter did not get any indication of such from the players either. OE fall ball was a better option for my daughter than her High School and it did reinforce my opinions of Tim and Doug.

My daughter was encouraged to play for the fall team by DB because her HS experience was always poor and he hated the coaches. She refused and played HS but this was not held against her in fact I would contend OE likes to have the HS “sheroes” who score a lot of goals or receive HS accolades and awards. IJS

This is about as an accurate of an assessment as you can get.

CoachG,

Soccer Toe- As you stated you think its BS. Well myself and other HS coaches know differently from first hand knowledge that it was done. I admitted it seems to have stopped in the last few years. I can assure you factually I had 3-4 girls over about 8 years come to me and other coaches telling us their OE Coach said that their spots may not be saved if they chose to play HS. If that's not saying not to play HS I am not sure what is. While DB said it was not club policy he has no clue what coaches were saying.

Another new article quoting another past US soccer star commenting that a kid should play high school soccer.

FORMER PRO TAYLOR TWELLMAN ON HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER CAN BE BETTER THAN CLUB

https://www.soccertoday.com/former-...uoPYZgfmC9MyHr631f872o26l-e9tizRcgZUIG5BLztQM

The one statement he makes that I totally agree with is "THE REALITY IS COLLEGE SOCCER’S GOING TO DIE" without change.

Maybe Men's college soccer will die and become more like college baseball is with minor league baseball but I don't see it dying off on the women's side.

I've only heard three years of DB encouraging girls to play HS sports. Can't reference 2014, where you seemed trapped coach.

Maybe you are having a rough time understanding I said it was a coach not DB. Not trapped just know the history and as I have said its seems to have stopped. Maybe you just cant admit the faults OE has or has had.

Like we are all saying CoachG Time to hang it up buddy and go back and live in the early seventies where you belong.
This has all passed you by.

We should all have a retirement party for CoachG, so the door can hit him in the as&*%# on the way out !

ODP...….ROTFLMAO

Complete money grab

Many have gotten "fat" , both monetarily and physically

But remember, it is all about the kids. LMAO

Save your money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like we are all saying CoachG Time to hang it up buddy and go back and live in the early seventies where you belong.
This has all passed you by.

We should all have a retirement party for CoachG, so the door can hit him in the as&*%# on the way out !

BAHAHAHAHA in 1970s I wasnt even a teen. lol Keep trying.

As for a door hitting me that will never happen but hey keep digging and trying to find something...... I am happily a second tier coach that has had a lot of players move up each tryout to a higher level teams. I like helping to develop players and handing them off to the next level. I am not a FT soccer coach nor do I want to coach 5,6, or 7 teams in one season. Please hold your breath as you hope I retire until you expire. Apparently you have no clue what you are talking about and have no clue about the success my teams have had but then again lets not let facts interfere with you being an anonymous keyboard warrior troll.