2018-2019 Xavier Basketball

The game will always be bigger to the little brother, that's no surprise.

yeah. the "little brother" who's in a better league and has won 15 of the last 22.

that's the only way the Leprechaun justifies the a s s - kicking he's taken from X since he started (4-8 vs them, BTW) is saying "oh, it's no big deal."

here's another "little brother" stat for you:

Weeks ranked in AP Poll since start of 2007-2008 season

Xavier
Top 5: 12
Top 10: 40
Top 25: 95

UC
Top 5: 1
Top 10: 11
Top 25: 73

Shall i keep going? ok.

NCAA Tournament Wins last 20 years:

Xavier: 22
UC: 13

NCAA Tournament Wins over a BETTER seed since 1985 (since tourney went to 64):

Xavier: 12
UC: 1

But UC fans can keep hanging their hat on that one FF and call us "little brother" acting like the game means nothing.

we know better.

One big positive for XU is Cronin hasn't suddenly learned how to run an offense

Maybe Mick could offer Travis some pointers on offense given they just blistered the nets for 47. Ha
BTW. UC’s offense wasn’t complicated given they had several dunks over X’s nonexistent D

yeah. the "little brother" who's in a better league and has won 15 of the last 22.

that's the only way the Leprechaun justifies the a s s - kicking he's taken from X since he started (4-8 vs them, BTW) is saying "oh, it's no big deal."

here's another "little brother" stat for you:

Weeks ranked in AP Poll since start of 2007-2008 season

Xavier
Top 5: 12
Top 10: 40
Top 25: 95

UC
Top 5: 1
Top 10: 11
Top 25: 73

Shall i keep going? ok.

NCAA Tournament Wins last 20 years:

Xavier: 22
UC: 13

NCAA Tournament Wins over a BETTER seed since 1985 (since tourney went to 64):

Xavier: 12
UC: 1

But UC fans can keep hanging their hat on that one FF and call us "little brother" acting like the game means nothing.

we know better.
X is going to have to up their game to get an NIT bid this year

Maybe Mick could offer Travis some pointers on offense given they just blistered the nets for 47. Ha
BTW. UC’s offense wasn’t complicated given they had several dunks over X’s nonexistent D

Mick still hasnt learned how to run an offense

Mick still hasnt learned how to run an offense

May be true but this is Micks best passing and IQ team IMO. Scott and Jarron are both great passers. This team looks different on the offensive end than years past

Says the guy who’s team scored fewer against UC than Arkansas Pine Bluff:party:
Since X can’t play defense no need to run anything

I am not a Xavier fan. When Xavier and UC play I probably root for UC. But bc of Mick's brother Dan I am finding it harder and harder to root for them.

I have come to enjoy his melts on twitter whether it be for UC or horse racing. He has quickly become horse racings punching bag.

Give credit to the Bearcats. they were better on Saturday, for sure. they defended better and have guys who can actually make shots (although it really bothers me when guys who never make shots end up making shots. like that Moore guy who had only made 2 3's all season and then sticks a 3 at the end of the shot clock. that really bothers me when guys do that in the Shootout)

Muskies have A LOT of work to do.

Says the guy who’s team scored fewer against UC than Arkansas Pine Bluff:party:
Since X can’t play defense no need to run anything

Arkansas PB isn't UC's super bowl...there were probably 5,000 fans at that game.

UC's D is just stupid good and it's easy when X has 1 shooter who is not athletic. UC is the better team this year and we all know it's gonna be an up and down season for X. Losing the crosstown like that creates a good chance for X to show how tough they are and if they can respond.

Xavier is a fustrating team right now because the key to their success is arguably the leader of the team and he has dreadfully under performed most of the season. Q has to facilitate offense and not force his own offensive game. When he facilitates, Xavier is a pretty good team. They have plenty of scoring options but they need to get the ball in good situations. When they are moving the ball inside and out around the perimeter, they seemingly have a very potent offense. When Q decides to dribble drive and try to force everything on his own, they have virtually no offense.

ugly game vs EKU.

27 turnovers. EKU had 23.

only thing saving X was that they shot 71%, which makes sense as they were dunking or shooting layups most of the time and not settling for 3's.

Naji still turns the ball over at a incredible rate by forcing the issue when there's really no need to. Scruggs played better but still has no idea how NOT to foul so he can stay on the floor more. Q only had 3 turnovers so that was a bright spot.

Not looking good for Harden and KK to contribute more as Harden got into the game and managed to turn it over 2 straight possessions. that will not get you more minutes, my friend.

X switched to a zone for a majority of the game and i'm guessing that's what they're going to have to play more often because when they try to play man, it's a s#$%show. they can't keep anyone in front of them.

i'm betting they play more of that extended 2-3 as the season goes on.

this team will be lucky to be .500 by end of the season.

they're just not very good.

gonna be a long year, Muskie fans.

They turn the ball over a lot, make poor shot selections, have few shooters, and play bad defense. I think patience will be key and hoping to see some improvement as the year progresses. It may not result in tourney play.

It is a shame the way Mack left the program essentially not recruiting anyone to Xavier. I think he knew long ago he was leaving and this class at xavier alludes to that as well.

Be patient on steele, I think he will have his growing pains but will prosper with more experience.

They turn the ball over a lot, make poor shot selections, have few shooters, and play bad defense. I think patience will be key and hoping to see some improvement as the year progresses. It may not result in tourney play.

It is a shame the way Mack left the program essentially not recruiting anyone to Xavier. I think he knew long ago he was leaving and this class at xavier alludes to that as well.

Be patient on steele, I think he will have his growing pains but will prosper with more experience.

the only thing i don't agree with here is the Mack not recruiting anyone. you're not gonna hit a HR with every recruiting class. you just won't. and when is the last time that a frosh either started or made a SIGNIFICANT impact for Xavier? usually doesn't happen. not saying he couldn't have done better but Mack had some "stinker" classes in his time at X as well.

either way, the problem here is that it looks like these guys aren't buying into whatever Steele is selling and he's not implementing a system that plays to the strengths of his team. he's also plagued by the fact that he has one legit guy who can make an open 3 and that's Welage. he has NO ONE that can create their own shot and actually MAKE it if/when they do.

And Welahe doesnt exactly have a quick release. He really needs to be open to get his shot off.

I think Scruggs could be the "alpha" if he ever learned to play without fouling. Cant be the leader if you are on the bench.

And Welahe doesnt exactly have a quick release. He really needs to be open to get his shot off.

I think Scruggs could be the "alpha" if he ever learned to play without fouling. Cant be the leader if you are on the bench.

and learned to play without turning it over.

i get that you're not going to go through a game with zero turnovers. never happens, but when you're supposed best players (Q, Marshall, and Scruggs) lead the team in turnovers, that's not good. and they're usually turnovers that stem from just a terrible decision to dribble into traffic and try to create something that just isn't there.

Q, Marshall, and Scruggs had 10 turnovers combined (Tyrique had 4 also). Marshall and Scruggs shot 3-17 combined.

not winning many games with those guys doing that.

Arrogate & Bballer05,
You both make great points. The future doesn't look good at all, for probably a couple of years.
Right now, as much as I hate to admit it, the talent just isn't there. When you combine that with a brand new HC who's showing some growing pains, you just have to be patient.

next year - with the class they have coming in and another year of improvement out of the core 4 - Q, Scruggs, Naji, and Jones - we shouldn't have to wait 2-3 years.

next year we should be much better.

Xavier will be fine. I knew this year would be tough, honestly the only loss I didn't see coming at the beginning of the year was Missouri. A win Friday puts them at 8 in the OCC games, I said 9-10.

At this point I don't see the 12-13 conference wins like I thought. Really disappointed in Marshall and Goodin. They both have moments of greatness then followed up by WTF moments.

As for the future, I knew this would be a transition season. I think Steele needs to grabs the reins more and reel in the offense. The class he has coming in can be really special, and could mix well with Scruggs and Marshall.

I also knew this year would be tough, with no expectations of making the Tournament (but I did have hope).
Based on what we've seen from the players, though, as well as the game results, I must say I see a Big East record in the vicinity of 6-12.
I must admit that I've been shocked at this team's lack of leadership, lack of toughness, and general lack of chemistry on the floor.
It looks like we lost a lot more than points when Macura, Bluiett, O'Mara, and Kantner graduated. The loss of talent has been evidenced by the failure to put lower D-1 teams away, as well as the inability to defeat anyone considered to be even close to NCAA tourney caliber.
Perhaps more important, we lost the toughness needed to compete (fight under the boards, get those 50/50 balls, keep our composure instead of trying to play "hero" ball).
The most disappointing thing to me has been......When previous X teams have been punched in the mouth, they got off the mat and fought back. When this team has been punched in the mouth, they fold.
Where are the leaders here?