Coaching Carousel

Per 247sports, Mack Brown is the new HC of UNC. I don't really get it. He gave up on recruiting the last 3-4 years at Texas and is 67 years old.

https://247sports.com/college/north...ck-Brown-Returning-to-UNC-Football-125364206/

Does UNC even care about football anymore? I mean what a disaster waiting to happen. Mr. negative recruiter Dabo Swinney will have a field day with Mack at UNC, how can any urban kid relate to Mack Brown after talking to Dabo?
Heck nobody in the Carolinas can keep up with Dabo and he has his run of the talent in what is a growing fertile area for recruiting.

A couple interesting takes from Albert Breer's NFL perspective:

- And while we’re there, it’s worth mentioning that Buckeyes OC Ryan Day was the man Mike Vrabel wanted to run his Titans offense. Day, who was in his fourth job in four years, stayed in Columbus, in part for family reasons. But he’s got NFL experience, having coached in Philly and San Francisco under Chip Kelly, and I’d expect him to draw NFL interest in January.

-A couple other names whom NFL guys have been high on, and who could potentially modernize someone’s offense: Fired Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingsbury, and West Virginia offensive coordinator Jake Spavital. Both have deep Air Raid roots, and both have a ton of experience as play-callers.

East Carolina's trustees will meet tomorrow to discuss Scottie Montgomery's status as head coach. The beat down by Cincy may have been the last nail in the coffin.

Don't know his situation (years left on contract/payout), but I believe he has been making 1 million (maybe 1.5) per year. Fedora will get 12 mil for the four remaining years on his contract.

Maybe the only good thing about getting "let go".

Tee Martin fired by USC

Wasn't he one of the guys Clay Travis and company begged UT to hire instead of Schiano? :laugh:

Bowling Green has hired Scot Loeffler, who's currently the OC at Boston College. Good hire IMO. He's coached QBs for Urban (Florida) and Carr (Michigan). Play calling experience at BC, Virginia Tech and Auburn. Ohio native.

After whiffing badly with an idiotic internet-based search (i.e. "best offenses in college football" and contact most affordable assistants) the last time, they went with a search firm this time that quickly narrowed it down for them to a quality choice.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sounds like Malzahn wont make it through next season unless they have a great season

He agreed to reduce his buyout amount of 32 million and Auburn has refused to pay buyouts for any coaches he dismisses

Tee Martin fired by USC

Wasn't he one of the guys Clay Travis and company begged UT to hire instead of Schiano? :laugh:

I forgot about that. I hate to say it, but I think Pruitt did a pretty good job this Yr. That roster is garbage (for the SEC) and they nearly made it to a Bowl.

After whiffing badly with an idiotic internet-based search (i.e. "best offenses in college football" and contact most affordable assistants) the last time, they went with a search firm this time that quickly narrowed it down for them to a quality choice.

Wow

Paul Johnson is retiring at Georgia Tech. Long live the triple option

Ken Whisenhunt is a candidate which would be an awfully disappointing hire imo. GT should be a great job

BG's last coach was Mike Jinks. He was a high school coach in Texas before a three year stint at Texas Tech as an assistant.

Basically, he didn't have any ties to hire college assistants or recruit in the Midwest, and he lacked the skills/experience to run a college program. Total disaster.

What does everyone think the chances are Lincoln Reilly leaves if offered an NFL job? Rumored that both Dallas & Cleveland are going to pursue him.

Fickell seems to be getting some play for the Maryland job. With the current turmoil there, I think part of the draw is having crisis experience at a higher profile job in his one year as acting head coach at Ohio State.

Mike Locksley seems to be the #1 target there, but Fickell seems to be solidly on the next tier.

What does everyone think the chances are Lincoln Reilly leaves if offered an NFL job? Rumored that both Dallas & Cleveland are going to pursue him.

If I were him I would be more intrigued with Cleveland than Dallas. However neither sounds that great IMO. I would probably stay in Norman if those were the two offers

I'm curious to see what happens if somebody offers Satterfield. Money talks, but he played at App State and has spent 18 of his 21 years of coaching there. He has a good thing going IMO and may not easily move on unless it's for something that's really good.

North Carolina 100% should have targeted him IMO, but that's over and done with.

If I were him I would be more intrigued with Cleveland than Dallas. However neither sounds that great IMO. I would probably stay in Norman if those were the two offers

I mostly feel the same. Would likely get a small pay bump, but his job security would go down exponentially.

Only argument for the NFL is A.) trying to prove something and B.) not having to fly around the country sucking up to 17 year olds and their parents.

That's crazy. He must be pretty damn loyal to turn down his hometown and alma mater. Really great for the B10 though.

This is bad for UC. I didn't think Fickell would be here for more than five years anyway but it would be a huge blow to lose him after two years.

I don't see Fickell taking a job like Maryland or Louisville. Cincinnati is a better place to win until the big boys come calling

Purdue is actually a good situation and with the boost Brohm gets to $6 million that makes it even better. The B1G west the next few years is still wide open and who knows what better gig he might get offered in the following years if he does well? By the way look who is sitting at #24 on the Rivals class of 2019 list:https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2019/all-teams/football

The West is going to be interesting going forward if Nebraska, Minnesota, and Purdue continue improving. Still curious if Minnesota can improve without it coming at the expense of Wisconsin

I don't see Fickell taking a job like Maryland or Louisville. Cincinnati is a better place to win until the big boys come calling
Maryland isn't bad IMO. If you can recruit the state and mid-Atlantic decently you can have pretty good teams.

Cincinnati is a safer job than either. When you have things rolling there you can consistently win 10+ games in a non-power 5 league. Something much better will be available in the next 2-3 years.