Coaching Carousel

ronnie mund

With the regular season coming to an end, and with the rumors of Brohm heading to Louisville, I figured now's a good time to get it started.

What coaches won't survive the offseason? Fedora is an obvious pick. Clay Helton's seat seems to be very hot. Malzahn's buyout is insane, so that seems unlikely.

Which coaches take their shot at the big leagues? Neal Brown(Troy)?, Seth Littrell(North Texas)?, Scott Satterfield(App St.)?, Ryan Day? Kiffin seemed like a shoe-in for a P5 team before 2018, but this season has been a bit of a letdown for FAU.

What are your predictions?

Yeah I saw that. Probably nothing honestly. Only job that may be open that's on the same level as PSU is USC, and it doesn't seem like it's a guarantee that Helton will even be gone.

Franklin's buyout if he leaves for another school is apparently only $1 million. Someone at Penn State needs fired for that one.

I would add Matt Campbell at Iowa State as a candidate for a more prominent program when one opens up. He has done a great job there in Ames.

I would add Matt Campbell at Iowa State as a candidate for a more prominent program when one opens up. He has done a great job there in Ames.

He may very well end up going to a big time school and having success but I am not sold on him. I understand Iowa State isnt very good normally but he still hasnt done much while there. I mean he has gone 3-9 8-5 and is now 6-4 and his team totally sh1t the bed this past week in the biggest game of the year for them. He still has a sub .500 record in big 12 conference play. He still hasnt even beaten in state rival Iowa. I realize he inherited a terrible team and they have had two winning seasons back to back with a few good wins mixed in there.

At this point i think there is more hype than actual substance. Not ready to anoint him the next great coach.

Iowa State was an absolute dumpster fire when he got that job. Counting his first year, they had a four year run with 11 total wins. He went 8-5 (5-4 Big XII) in year two, and is probably going to be 8-4 (6-3 Big XII) going into bowl season this year.

I'd like to see him stick for 2-3 more years there. These last two years Iowa State has probably had the 2nd or 3rd worst roster in the Big XII in terms of recruiting rankings, and he has them over performing into the top half of the league. His last two recruiting classes finished 7th in the league, and it looks like this year and next year they'll finish around 4th or 5th.

He's going to make 8-4 or 9-3 a yearly thing at Iowa State, maybe hitting 10 wins in bowl season if he hangs around. Due to recruiting disadvantages against Texas, Oklahoma, TCU and Oklahoma State and the round robin format of that league I don't think you can really expect more than an occasional 10-2 from here on out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Heck, I'd argue that the guy has already certified his chops as a recruiter. Iowa State will probably bag recruiting classes ranked around 30th-35th nationally this year and next. Due to poor geography and how bad they sucked prior to the last two years that's a minor miracle.

Kingsbury & Fedora get pink slips today. Texas Tech is a tough gig but UNC has some good things going for it and should be better than an ACC also ran. In particular for such an esteemed academic institution their Admin looks the other way when it comes to player acquisition.

USC sticking with Helton for at least another year. That's crazy after a 5-7 year and losing to every one of your rivals.

Don’t understand firing Kingsbury. He’s no Mike Leach but does okay with what they’ve got at Tech. They’re never going to be a perennial contender

I'd think a lot of power 5 schools and will be lining up to hire Kingsbury as OC. With the increasing offensive orientation of the NFL, I wouldn't be shocked if he gets a lot of interest as an assistant and perhaps even OC at that level.

This might not be a bad thing career wise for him as I don't think he would have ever had the will or the consistent success to leave his alma mater for something better. He's still only 39. I could see him having a much better head coaching job than Texas Tech in 3-5 years.

I'd fu*k him

Kliff-Kingsbury-Texas-Tech-football-coach-shirtless-with-two-girls-in-bikinis_070840.jpg

USC sticking with Helton for at least another year. That's crazy after a 5-7 year and losing to every one of your rivals.
It seems crazy, but I don't know who they could really chase that would be better. Last year a ton of retreads (Kelly, Sumlin, Edwards) got hired in the PAC. There doesn't really appear to be an obvious west coast coach that's on the rise for that job at the moment.

Make the call to Kingsbury, Urban. He'll be here one year, sure. But it's Haskins for one more year. It would be magic

The QB class in this draft sucks pretty bad IMO. I'd be surprised if he didn't at least test the waters. To me, he's at worst a top-3 QB in this draft class. His chances of being QB1 this year are probably better than they will be next year when Tua, Fromm, etc. can declare.

The only real knocks I see are evaluators wanting to see more starts or being afraid of drafting a Meyer system QB. To me, he's dominated in just about all of his starts and has shown that he has a gun for an arm and can accurately make NFL throws with consistency. I'd have to think that he and the people that will be advising him will conclude that he'll jump Herbert, Lock and whoever else is in contention for QB1 status in this draft in workouts and at the combine.

Haskins still looks pretty green at times. I think he needs another year to iron out the issues. And I think a guy who waited since he was a kid to play QB for the Buckeyes will play out his eligibility. That may change if they manage to win the NC, though.

I really wouldn't be too surprised either way. Right now the Giants and Jags look like locks to pick in the top-10 and they could both use QBs. In Gruden's roster purge and asset stockpile, I wouldn't be shocked if he trades Carr after the season to either of those two teams, opting to draft his own guy this year or next year.

Another year would probably help him, but IMO he has more opportunity to go early this year.

For whatever it's worth, over the last couple weeks the buzz seems to be that he's gone. We'll see.

I'd think a lot of power 5 schools and will be lining up to hire Kingsbury as OC. With the increasing offensive orientation of the NFL, I wouldn't be shocked if he gets a lot of interest as an assistant and perhaps even OC at that level.

This ight not be a bad thing career wise for hi as I don't think he would have ever had the will or the consistent success to leave his ala ater for soething better. He's still only 39. I could see hi having a uch better head coaching job than Texas Tech in 3-5 years.

Sent fro y XT1254 using Tapatalk

I agree, I think he'll end up coaching in the NFL

Kingsbury & Fedora get pink slips today. Texas Tech is a tough gig but UNC has some good things going for it and should be better than an ACC also ran. In particular for such an esteemed academic institution their Admin looks the other way when it comes to player acquisition.

Yes. UNC may still be hungover from the Butch Davis era shenanigans (which went unpunished). I don't know how good a recruiter/coach Fedora is, but he stepped into "it" seven years ago.

Maybe in a few more years, the stench will wear off and UNC will turn it around, winning at least vs. their in-state rivals.

If you're UNC, I have no idea how you hire Mack Brown when North Carolina native Scott Satterfield (45 years old) has gone 39-11 at Appalachian State over the last four seasons. He's playing for his 3rd straight Sun Belt title this week. Mack has a name, but there's no way he recruits or brings energy to the program like Satterfield would.