UC Football 2018

:laugh: And you're doing any different? It's literally the same thing on your end, but I'll indulge:

Sure there is. UCF isn't as good this year as they were last and they gave up 40 points and almost 600 yards to Temple. Oklahoma, West Virginia and Washington St all have better offenses than Temple.

UCF played a tight game with Navy. Oklahoma played tight with Army - who's having a better season than Navy.

I realize those three teams don't have great defenses either so UCF would be able to score but in my opinion I think they all beat the Knights by 2-3 TDs.

The Temple game is evidence in your favor only if one IGNORES the games the other teams have played!

The ENTIRE POINT of this is to confirm that we cannot tell who would win or by how much!! To say with confidence that UCF is 2-3 TDs worse than any of those teams is at best ill-informed. However, since that isn't the case as you've been informed, it is nothing but unabashed ELITISM!

Tom Groeschen, the Enquirer's UC beat reporter passed away this morning. He was just at the basketball game on Monday

The Temple game is evidence in your favor only if one IGNORES the games the other teams have played!
Ok then there's also the Navy game. They struggled with 8-4 Memphis. There are more examples, Temple is just the extreme.

The ENTIRE POINT of this is to confirm that we cannot tell who would win or by how much!! To say with confidence that UCF is 2-3 TDs worse than any of those teams is at best ill-informed. However, since that isn't the case as you've been informed, it is nothing but unabashed ELITISM!
Sure you can't confirm unless they played, but you can have an opinion - mine is that UCF would lose by 14-21 points against any of the three. I don't think that's too outlandish to say either. :shrug:

You can keep saying I'm a Power 5 elitist all you want, I know that I'm not. Saying it over and over against doesn't make it true.

But back to the Bearcats since this is a thread regarding them - have a chance to get to 10-wins today against ECU. Already leading 7-0 and the Bearcat defense looking good.

60. UC held a moment of silence for him before the game today. It was nice gesture.

What a shock! I had no idea. Loved his excellent reporting and writing skills. Man, he had covered practically everybody in Cincinnati sports over his career.

A major loss indeed. Prayers for his family.

On a less important note, what a statement by the Bearcats to absolutely steamroll ECU. I expected a win, but it says a lot about UC's players that they obviously didn't just "mail it in" in a game they were pretty heavily expected to win.
Team just keeps gettin' better!

I do hope Ridder improves greatlt in the off season. He showed some improvement in the second half of the season, but I'm still not as comfortable with him at QB as I'd like to be!

Ok then there's also the Navy game. They struggled with 8-4 Memphis. There are more examples, Temple is just the extreme.

Sure you can't confirm unless they played, but you can have an opinion - mine is that UCF would lose by 14-21 points against any of the three. I don't think that's too outlandish to say either. :shrug:

You can keep saying I'm a Power 5 elitist all you want, I know that I'm not. Saying it over and over against doesn't make it true.

But back to the Bearcats since this is a thread regarding them - have a chance to get to 10-wins today against ECU. Already leading 7-0 and the Bearcat defense looking good.

GET REAL!! I don't care what you CLAIM, your ACTIONS - your hypocrisy on this matter - makes is VERY CLEAR that you are a P5 ELITIST!!

NO ONE can say whether UCF would be competitive! Yet that doesn't stop you claiming UCF could not say within 2-3 TDs of teams with poor performances against mediocre teams?!! RIDICULOUS!! DO RIGHTLY F#$K OFF!!

GET REAL!! I don't care what you CLAIM, your ACTIONS - your hypocrisy on this matter - makes is VERY CLEAR that you are a P5 ELITIST!!
:laugh: Hypocrisy? Such as?

NO ONE can say whether UCF would be competitive! Yet that doesn't stop you claiming UCF could not say within 2-3 TDs of teams with poor performances against mediocre teams?!! RIDICULOUS!! DO RIGHTLY F#$K OFF!!
"No one" can say whether UCF would be competitive - yet here you are saying they would be. UCF has had poor performances against mediocre teams as well see Navy, 4-loss Temple, 4-loss Memphis. Your last line says it all - if you have to resort to that then I'll assume it's because you have no other defense and must know that I'm right.

There are 4 loss team in the top 25 and we should all be able to agree, it's speculation. But that's by design if the top of the P5 won't give UCF a game. And that in MY opinion is destruction to college football.

So speculating: if UCF does go on to a New Years Bowl and does destroy that top non play-off P5, I will speculate that no one will come back with a mea-culpa. Instead there will be excuses how that P5 team didn't take the game seriously, had an off night, their favorite water-girl was sick...

If you think all the second tier p5 teams would crush the best g5 team, then clearly you believe the p5 to be elite. Not sure how or even why you'd deny the elitist claim.

There are 4 loss team in the top 25 and we should all be able to agree, it's speculation. But that's by design if the top of the P5 won't give UCF a game. And that in MY opinion is destruction to college football.

So speculating: if UCF does go on to a New Years Bowl and does destroy that top non play-off P5, I will speculate that no one will come back with a mea-culpa. Instead there will be excuses how that P5 team didn't take the game seriously, had an off night, their favorite water-girl was sick...

The rankings are constantly fixed to setup ranked matchups for tv as well as to be sure the "right" teams have the maximum number of ranked wins. college football has been overtaken by a media cartel good ole boy system and its horrible for the sport. its why conference realignment went nuts and destroyed traditional rivalries nationwide and its why the playoff will never consider a non cartel member such as ucf.

if there was integrity in the sport they'd have a 16 team playoff. each conference champ and 6 at large bids. let the big conference champs crush the small conferences in the first round. everybodys happy.

If you think all the second tier p5 teams would crush the best g5 team, then clearly you believe the p5 to be elite. Not sure how or even why you'd deny the elitist claim.

:laugh: Who said anything about second tier P5 teams? The teams in question were Oklahoma, West Virginia and Washington St.
Oklahoma finished 1st in Big XII
West Virginia finished 3rd in Big XII - but could have beaten Oklahoma to finish 1st
Washington St finished 2nd in Pac 12 North - lost to Washington last week to lose their hold on #1

As of my original comment all three of them were ranked in the top 10-12. Hardly second tier teams. You guys need to be real with yourselves.

Anyone signing up for those Military Bowl tickets? Annapolis is a great town but at the end of December? Give me Florida over this location, especially with a Va Tech opponent that basically backed into this game.

Didn't the Bearcats just play in this bowl a couple seasons ago and also against VT? Stale matchup IMO. Would have much rather been in Tampa. Only positive is that it should be a game UC wins this time around. Hopefully Fickel actually prepares teams for bowl games unlike TT who treated them like vacations. Remember the Hawaii Bowl, what a disaster.

Yeah this is the third matchup against VT in ten years. They also played in the Belk Bowl two years in s row. Pretty meh

Being in this bowl unfortunately puts the Bearcats in a no-win situation. Beating a 6-6 VT team won't really help raise the status of the program; and, my goodness, if we lose it's kind of embarrassing for both the 'Cats and the AAC.

A beatdown by UC, though, would be great!

Being in this bowl unfortunately puts the Bearcats in a no-win situation. Beating a 6-6 VT team won't really help raise the status of the program; and, my goodness, if we lose it's kind of embarrassing for both the 'Cats and the AAC.

A beatdown by UC, though, would be great!

Couldn't agree more.

:laugh: Who said anything about second tier P5 teams? The teams in question were Oklahoma, West Virginia and Washington St.
Oklahoma finished 1st in Big XII
West Virginia finished 3rd in Big XII - but could have beaten Oklahoma to finish 1st
Washington St finished 2nd in Pac 12 North - lost to Washington last week to lose their hold on #1

As of my original comment all three of them were ranked in the top 10-12. Hardly second tier teams. You guys need to be real with yourselves.

NONSENSE!! If you believe UCF is 2-3 TDs WORSE than Oklahoma, Washington State, and West Virginia, then you are saying they are akin to Colorado, Arizona, Kansas, Baylor, and Kansas State!!

NONSENSE!! If you believe UCF is 2-3 TDs WORSE than Oklahoma, Washington State, and West Virginia, then you are saying they are akin to Colorado, Arizona, Kansas, Baylor, and Kansas State!!

:laugh: Just can't get enough. UCF gave up 38 points in one HALF to Memphis. Oklahoma, Washington St and West Virginia all have better offenses than Memphis. I stand by what I said.

if there was integrity in the sport they'd have a 16 team playoff. each conference champ and 6 at large bids. let the big conference champs crush the small conferences in the first round. everybodys happy.

Something that's overlooked, too : Everyone talks about how the small schools "don't stand a chance" against the big boys, and don't deserve a spot, but if you expand the playoff enough (I favor 8 to 12 teams) to give a realistic shot of participation to smaller schools, they would initially get crushed at first (most likely), but I think the gap would close a bit over time for a few reasons :

1. Participation in the playoffs and other big bowls is a huge deal financially to those smaller schools. There's a huge revenue difference between the Rose Bowl and the Boca Raton Bowl for conferences and individual schools. It would go a long way towards helping their programs compete over time, with the extra revenue and exposure needed for actually building programs. They can't do that in the freakin' Frisco Bowl.

2. Having a real chance to actually compete for a title would also make a difference in recruiting over time. There's a real difference between "come to our program and we might get to play in the Holiday Bowl" and "we have a real path to playing for a title, or at least national exposure in a game against a big school". Yes, the first few years would be pretty rough, but I think it would become more competitive over time.

Anyone signing up for those Military Bowl tickets? Annapolis is a great town but at the end of December? Give me Florida over this location, especially with a Va Tech opponent that basically backed into this game.

I would've been tempted to go to Tampa bowl game (and enjoy some sunshine) but no thanks to the Military Bowl.

On another note, we are blessed to have Luke Fickell and I hope he hangs around a few more years. Maybe I'm crazy, but with 6 young kids and being from Ohio, I'm hopeful he's not gonna jump at a "middle of the pack" P5 job simply for more CA$H.

Another Bearcat fan here just finding this thread late. When the season began, I thought that if we could go 8-4 that would be success. I was pleasantly surprised with the 10-2 record and just how well Ridder did considering he was only a RS Freshman. Over 3/4ths of our roster was freshman and sophomores! I went to the Navy game earlier this year and I came away very impressed with our front 7 and our running game. I just kinda wish we could be playing someone other than Virginia Tech but considering this is our first bowl game since the 2015 season, I wont complain.

On a downer note it was not a good year for Bearcat football recruiting, overall ranked 74 and AAC ranked 7. Nothing above a 3* and highest rated player, Justin Harris, comes in at 698 overall.