Ohio Div 1

PURPLE REIGN

Who are the top teams from around the state?

In the SW Ohio, returning champ Ursuline is the favorite to come out of the region but MND and Mercy Mcauley are just behind.

Who am I missing?

In NEO it will be mostly about Padua. They move up to Div I due to CB and only graduated a couple passers from a team that basically dominated the Div II state tourney, not sure but I don't think they lost a set the whole post season. Some others to consider would be St. Joe's, Walsh Jesuit, Strongsville, and Mentor. Best player is Kacie Evans from Wadsworth.

top players in NEO

Wide open topic, I have seen a few matches this season, and my
early stand out is the slammer from Stow Munroe Falls.

The new McAulay may be sleeper here in Cincinnati. We'll learn more with league play starting in the GGCL in early September

Padua beat Hoban last night 25-3, 25-10, 25-11. It was like watching Hoban Football just run over their opponent.

The game just moves at an incredibly different speed for Padua.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are the GGCL records before they start knocking each other off in league play later this week.

Ursuline Academy 4 - 0
Mount Notre Dame 8 - 0
McAuley 5 - 0
St. Ursula 5 - 1
Seton 5 - 0

27-1 :eek:

League Action on Tuesday

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 :eek:

Ursuline Academy d. Mount Notre Dame 20-25, 17-25, 25-19, 25-16, 15-8

St. Ursula d. Mercy McAuley 22-25, 20-25, 25-16, 25-22, 15-11

Cincinnati reporter in a Cincinnati paper so obvious bias but still interesting.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...rcy-mcauley-top-ohios-di-vb-polls/1279773002/

CINCINNATI - The initial Ohio High School Volleyball Coaches Association poll reflects the dominance of Cincinnati girls volleyball in the state of Ohio

While there's still plenty to play, defending Division I champion Ursuline leads the pack, with Mount Notre Dame second and Mercy McAuley third.

Beyond the top 10, St. Ursula is 13th, Mason 14th, Seton 18th and Loveland 20th. What this means is one league, the Girls Greater Catholic League, has five teams ranked in the state top 20.

MND tops the area with nine state titles, followed by St. Ursula with eight, Seton with six, Ursuline five and Mercy four. Mercy and McAuley merged this past season.

In the second week of September alone, Ursuline held off MND in five sets at home. The visiting Cougars stormed out in the first two games, then the Lions notched a win with a 13-1 run after being down 18-12 in game three. Momentum swayed Ursuline's way from there.

"The first two games I would have said we don't belong in the state rankings," Ursuline coach Jeni Case said. "After those (last) three, we absolutely do. It was great."

Many of the girls know each other from not just the prep rivalry, but from club volleyball. Case's husband, John Paul, runs Elevation Volleyball, which features girls on both squads plus some from other area schools.

"(We) love each other!" Jeni Case said after Ursuline's triumph over MND. "I love most of those girls on that team. I love their parents. The girls love each other. They all know each other and are very good friends."

That same night, Mercy McAuley suffered their first league loss at St. Ursula. losing the fifth and deciding match. All the Wolves did was come back and knock off top-ranked Ursuline in four sets 25-20. 25-13, 17-25, 26-24 Thursday.

Greg Samuels, who assisted Denise Harvey at Mother of Mercy, is now the head coach of Mercy McAuley after the merger of the two schools.

"We have 10 seniors who all have the ability to contribute to our positive start," Samuels said. "This is a demanding part of our schedule. We play Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday for a three-week stretch."

Samuels credits the talent level and the commitment to volleyball in this region for the local success at the state level. They have defeated St. Henry and Notre Dame Academy from the Northern Kentucky side, as well as MND, Toledo St. Ursula and now Ursuline. Many of the girls are year-round players who see personal trainers in addition to hammering balls over nets.
Mercy-McAuley outside hitter Shelby Dennis serves in the game between the Ursuline Lions and the Mercy-McAuley Wolves at Mercy-McAuley High School.Buy Photo

Chris Lovett has taken over MND from long-time coach Joe Burke, who now is an assistant. The Cougars traditionally play good teams to the north and south. They were 9-0 until losing a pair of knockdown drag-outs to Mercy McAuley and Ursuline.

"The region is good and has been for years now," Lovett said. "I think it will be for a little while."

The past 10 years demonstrates the GGCL dominance most effectively. Ursuline won the state Division I title last season as well as in 2012 and 2009. In 2008, the Lions were runners-up. MND won in 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 and was runner-up in 2016. In 2007, the Cougars were runners-up to champion Mercy before the tournament was rearranged to prevent such local matchups on the state level. So, not since 2010 has a GGCL team not made it to the state title game.

MND's Lovett remembers when local teams could advance to the state semifinals and play one another. However, he sees an upside in the regional approach.

"It really makes our regional finals and regional semifinals really something special to go to," Lovett said. "It's easily considered the marquees event for volleyball in the city. You have a Thursday night where the gym is packed at Lakota West and you can't even get in."

Should you enjoy intense atmospheres, a GGCL volleyball game can be a thrill a minute. Student sections are in costume with clever signage and if you're not in the bleachers by the national anthem, it may be standing room only.
Mount Notre Dame's Sam Wolf celebrates after scoring in the first set against Ursuline Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2018 at Ursuline Academy Buy Photo

Mount Notre Dame's Sam Wolf celebrates after scoring in the first set against Ursuline Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2018 at Ursuline Academy (Photo: Alex Vehr for the Enquirer)

"It's like witnessing a college-level volleyball match," Samuels said. "If folks haven't seen high school volleyball in the GGCL, I think they'd be surprised at the level of play and talent. It would rival a Division II game or some small school Division I volleyball."

Added Lovett, "It's deafening! It's fun. The students get involved and the cheering sections battle it out. It's intense. It's why we do it and I wouldn't have it any other way."

The OHSAA state volleyball tournament is Nov. 8-10 at Wright State. The smart money says a GGCL team will be there. You'll be able to tell by the encouraging signs posted along the interstate leading to the Colonel Glenn Highway.

Last edited:
GGCL Regular Season is complete and 3 teams have a legit shot at winning the D1 state championship

Ursuline Academy 7 - 1 league and 18 - 2 overall
Mercy McAuley 5 - 3 league and 17 - 3 overall
Mount Notre Dame 5 - 3 league and 15 - 5 overall

Most likely candidates would be Springboro and Centerville. But since Centerville decided to jump on Springboro in the sectional round, only one of them will be moving on to districts. In the end, it likely wouldn't matter against a GGCL school or Mason anyways.

Has Centerville played Springboro already? If so what were the scores?

In the Norwalk Regional the District to watch is at Brunswick, Padua is the chalk and has a great chance of making it to the Div I finals after walking through Div II LY. Of note, each of the top 4 seeds in Brunswick have a NCAA Div I scholarship player on them from the AVC 17 N-1 JO team that was top 10 nationally ranked last year.

I have no idea who comes out of Hudson Regional, could this be Walsh Jesuit's break through year? They too have a couple players from that AVC team as well as a roster full of solid players but lack the height that is needed to compete at a high level. Solon & Kenston are a couple others to keep an eye on.

In the Norwalk Regional the District to watch is at Brunswick, Padua is the chalk and has a great chance of making it to the Div I finals after walking through Div II LY. Of note, each of the top 4 seeds in Brunswick have a NCAA Div I scholarship player on them from the AVC 17 N-1 JO team that was top 10 nationally ranked last year.

I have no idea who comes out of Hudson Regional, could this be Walsh Jesuit's break through year? They too have a couple players from that AVC team as well as a roster full of solid players but lack the height that is needed to compete at a high level. Solon & Kenston are a couple others to keep an eye on.
If they can end Jackson's run of District Championships in Alliance, I think New Philadelphia has a great chance of taking the Hudson regional. Have the height, have the athletes, and have some experience (lost D2 regional final last year to eventual runner-up Big Walnut).

Well so much for that theory. New Philadelphia (#1) just lost in 5 to Massillon Perry (#4) in the District semifinal.

Well so much for that theory. New Philadelphia (#1) just lost in 5 to Massillon Perry (#4) in the District semifinal.

New Philadelphia is a good team but, like Canfield, I don't think their schedule helps them to prepare for tournament play. Just an opinion but it might be beneficial for teams like these to play in some weekend tournaments against better competition. If they lose, so what, they'd be better prepared for the competition they'll face in the tournament. New Philadelphia came into last night's game 21-2 and Canfield 22-1. Looking at their schedules on MaxPreps, neither seemed particularly challenged by the teams they faced most of the season. In districts, Canfield had all they could handle with North Canton in the quarterfinals and looked shell shocked against Jackson. New Philadelphia got into a dogfight with Perry and looked like they were tensing up because they hadn't had any of those type of games during the regular season. Both were obviously good teams but probably could be better by challenging themselves a little more via their schedule during the regular season.

New Philadelphia is a good team but, like Canfield, I don't think their schedule helps them to prepare for tournament play. Just an opinion but it might be beneficial for teams like these to play in some weekend tournaments against better competition. If they lose, so what, they'd be better prepared for the competition they'll face in the tournament. New Philadelphia came into last night's game 21-2 and Canfield 22-1. Looking at their schedules on MaxPreps, neither seemed particularly challenged by the teams they faced most of the season. In districts, Canfield had all they could handle with North Canton in the quarterfinals and looked shell shocked against Jackson. New Philadelphia got into a dogfight with Perry and looked like they were tensing up because they hadn't had any of those type of games during the regular season. Both were obviously good teams but probably could be better by challenging themselves a little more via their schedule during the regular season.

Let's face it due to various reasons some schools just don't want to play the type of schedule needed to be prepared for the post season in this and many other sports. And if a tourney with the likes of multiple NCL schools in the north or the GGCL schools in the south might intimidate a program just schedule a Saturday match against one of these teams to get a feel for what big girl volleyball is like. Heck they would be so happy for the match they would be more than accommodating to travel to the Canfield gym for the game. Many of the better suburban pubs in CLE have started to play the NCL schools and it shows when you see the success that a team like Painsville Riverside has when in the playoffs.

Let's face it due to various reasons some schools just don't want to play the type of schedule needed to be prepared for the post season in this and many other sports. And if a tourney with the likes of multiple NCL schools in the north or the GGCL schools in the south might intimidate a program just schedule a Saturday match against one of these teams to get a feel for what big girl volleyball is like. Heck they would be so happy for the match they would be more than accommodating to travel to the Canfield gym for the game. Many of the better suburban pubs in CLE have started to play the NCL schools and it shows when you see the success that a team like Painsville Riverside has when in the playoffs.

I guess it depends upon what your goals for the season are. If you want to attempt to make a serious playoff run, there's no way of getting around a tougher in season schedule, in my opinion. If you're happy with 22-2 and not getting out of the District then fine as well.

I guess it depends upon what your goals for the season are. If you want to attempt to make a serious playoff run, there's no way of getting around a tougher in season schedule, in my opinion. If you're happy with 22-2 and not getting out of the District then fine as well.

I think most girls would rather be tested and play up or at least to their ability and not down. Now the school may like the gaudy record and title for political reasons... FYI, last year Beaumont had a 4-16 type regular season record playing an incredibly tough schedule yet were District champs. While that may be a bit extreme most of those ladies preferred the District title and playing in the elite 8 in a big gym over beating up lesser comp and claiming possibly a conference title.

I think most girls would rather be tested and play up or at least to their ability and not down. Now the school may like the gaudy record and title for political reasons... FYI, last year Beaumont had a 4-16 type regular season record playing an incredibly tough schedule yet were District champs. While that may be a bit extreme most of those ladies preferred the District title and playing in the elite 8 in a big gym over beating up lesser comp and claiming possibly a conference title.

We're on the same page...

No major upsets yet in SW Ohio. All the heavy favorites GGCL + Mason are still alive.

Saturday's schedule
MercyMcAuley v Springboro
Lebanon v MND
SUA v Mason
Ursuline v Troy

I'll go with MM in 4, MND in 3, SUA in 5, and Ursuline in 3.

Impressive run for GGCL teams continues as each sweeps all four opponents on Saturday. With no one else left, they move on and begin knocking one another off this week

SUA v Ursuline

MM V MND.

I'll predict Ursuline in 4 and MND in 5 but wont be shocked if it's SUA & MM.

Up North the NCL has 4 teams still alive too, 2 in Div I and 2 in Div 2. Good chance that both Padua and Walsh make it to Dayton in Div I and have for the 2nd year in a row an all NCL match in the semis, this year in Div I.

Up North the NCL has 4 teams still alive too, 2 in Div I and 2 in Div 2. Good chance that both Padua and Walsh make it to Dayton in Div I and have for the 2nd year in a row an all NCL match in the semis, this year in Div I.

The ability to get multiple teams from the same league into the Final Four/Championship is a nice advantage. Im not close enough to understand the why/how, but the GGCL is no longer able to select that route as all four had to choose districts that fed into one another.

The ability to get multiple teams from the same league into the Final Four/Championship is a nice advantage. Im not close enough to understand the why/how, but the GGCL is no longer able to select that route as all four had to choose districts that fed into one another.

This is a new development for Div I as Padua was pushed up because of competitive balance and Walsh has been somewhat of a lower level NCL volleyball school, been happening in Div II for some years. FYI Northern Ohio for Div I & II has primarily been split into an east side of CLE Region that heads south into Summit and Stark Counties and points south and then a west side of CLE Region that heads due west into Toledo and points west; so city wide conferences get split up.

By the way Padua, the chalk to make it to the finals from the 2 Northern Regions, is not the most well liked program in the North Coast Conference. In particular James BeHarry is a tough guy to play for and publicly gets down hard on his girls if he doesn't like what he sees on the court. They also have the worst gym to play volleyball in, low ceiling with exposed beams; the football team also usually sticks around after practice too and plants themselves at the end line and gives the opposing girls a very hard time.

This is a new development for Div I as Padua was pushed up because of competitive balance and Walsh has been somewhat of a lower level NCL volleyball school, been happening in Div II for some years. FYI Northern Ohio for Div I & II has primarily been split into an east side of CLE Region that heads south into Summit and Stark Counties and points south and then a west side of CLE Region that heads due west into Toledo and points west; so city wide conferences get split up.

By the way Padua, the chalk to make it to the finals from the 2 Northern Regions, is not the most well liked program in the North Coast Conference. In particular James BeHarry is a tough guy to play for and publicly gets down hard on his girls if he doesn't like what he sees on the court. They also have the worst gym to play volleyball in, low ceiling with exposed beams; the football team also usually sticks around after practice too and plants themselves at the end line and gives the opposing girls a very hard time.

For someone not familiar - It sounds like it must be working for Mr. BeHarry? Granted he may not be making friends, but clearly Padua is doing something right - unless he's just winning due to having more talent that happens to go to his school?

For someone not familiar - It sounds like it must be working for Mr. BeHarry? Granted he may not be making friends, but clearly Padua is doing something right - unless he's just winning due to having more talent that happens to go to his school?

Don't get me wrong, the guy can coach but his style may not be well suited for HS VB. Definitely not lacking for talent either, surprisingly always seems to have a great left handed setter and tall middles. A lot of folks up here want to see what happens if he doesn't get upset and finally plays a much deeper GGCL Div I program in the finals and not a Hartley or Alter.