The Official 2018 Cincinnati Reds Thread

I'm not sure Billy is a disappointment? He played at about his career numbers.

A 28 year old playing "at about his career numbers" instead of vastly improving them is 100% a disappointment. I'm not sure how anyone could argue otherwise, considering he hasn't dealt with any devastating injuries to set him back. He just hasn't improved whatsoever.

Good news, Billy Hamilton is stating he's going to work on getting better this offseason. Buying my Playoff tickets

What did you expect him to say? That he's going to eat cheeseburgers and gain 20 lbs??

Just a little secret brian...Billy isn't the problem. In fact, you could say our pitching staff would be worse without Billy in centerfield. Our playoff possibilities does not hinge on our centerfielder.

I can't say I'm sorry the Cubs are out of the playoffs already.

I'm not sure there is a fan base ever, who are more cocky for just a little success than the Cubs are. They think they invented baseball. As much talent as that team has, and the money they spent in pitching...and they get bounced in the wild card game.

A 28 year old playing "at about his career numbers" instead of vastly improving them is 100% a disappointment. I'm not sure how anyone could argue otherwise, considering he hasn't dealt with any devastating injuries to set him back. He just hasn't improved whatsoever.

Especially since his career numbers suck.

I’m just glad the Reds don’t have any of those players who work hard, perform at a high level, and want to get paid for it. Guys like that don’t realize it’s a game and the owners make them rich, so they should just shut up.

Especially since his career numbers suck.

I’m just glad the Reds don’t have any of those players who work hard, perform at a high level, and want to get paid for it. Guys like that don’t realize it’s a game and the owners make them rich, so they should just shut up.

Eugenio Suarez and Tucker Barnhart have both recently signed long term contracts with the team.

His batting numbers are his batting numbers, he never hit for a high average in the minors. But he is, and has been one of the best defensive players in baseball. And, as I've pointed out to you numerous times, my middle, catcher, SS, 2B and centerfield is defense first, offense second.

Reds are interviewing David Bell, Brad Ausmus and Girardi. Would be so tight if they could get Girardi...

Girardi would be a great fit. Of course I was told by Yappi posters last fall that Girardi would never want to manage in Cincinnati. Apparently he is interested enough to interview.

Eugenio Suarez and Tucker Barnhart have both recently signed long term contracts with the team.

His batting numbers are his batting numbers, he never hit for a high average in the minors. But he is, and has been one of the best defensive players in baseball. And, as I've pointed out to you numerous times, my middle, catcher, SS, 2B and centerfield is defense first, offense second.

Yes and each time you look stupid

Girardi would be a great fit. Of course I was told by Yappi posters last fall that Girardi would never want to manage in Cincinnati. Apparently he is interested enough to interview.

In the words of Lance McCallister, Gerardi has ZERO chance of being the Reds manager. Mainly by his own choosing. He's going to cost too much, and he's going to be in line for the Cubs job after next season. Maddon is a lame duck manager.
Lance is saying it could be John Farrell or possibly David Bell.

LOL. And each time we point out how you do not understand what wins baseball games over a long season. Position players MUST be offense first, defense second.

I've shown you numbers before where great defense vs. average defense saves you maybe a run or 2 per week, and thus maybe wins you one game a month. Above average offense vs. Billy's below average offense gains you multiple runs per week. You ignore the numbers every time.

Just a little secret brian...Billy isn't the problem. In fact, you could say our pitching staff would be worse without Billy in centerfield. Our playoff possibilities does not hinge on our centerfielder.

Everyone knows this. Starting Pitching is THE problem. Lack of offensive production from CF is a smaller problem, but a problem that needs fixed nonetheless.

In the words of Lance McCallister, Gerardi has ZERO chance of being the Reds manager. Mainly by his own choosing. He's going to cost too much, and he's going to be in line for the Cubs job after next season. Maddon is a lame duck manager.
Lance is saying it could be John Farrell or possibly David Bell.

Lance McCallister might be your problem.

Everyone knows this. Starting Pitching is THE problem. Lack of offensive production from CF is a smaller problem, but a problem that needs fixed nonetheless.

wolves, I see you don't want Hamilton. So among our current roster of players, even in the minor leauges, WHO would you start in centerfield opening day '19??? :shrug:

wolves, I see you don't want Hamilton. So among our current roster of players, even in the minor leauges, WHO would you start in centerfield opening day '19??? :shrug:

I've answered that many times. Schebler. OBP of .337 with some power and decent defense.

I've also many posted times that I love Billy's attitude, hustle and defense. But if you have played several years and your OBP is still sub .300, you can't start and waste 500 plate appearances. Cripples the offense.

Winker also is an everyday corner OF. .400 OBP this year. My hope is that one of the young guys (Senzel/India) has a good spring and is the other corner OF. I like Ervin as a 4th OF, and Mason Williams has promise.

I've answered that many times. Schebler. OBP of .337 with some power and decent defense.

I've also many posted times that I love Billy's attitude, hustle and defense. But if you have played several years and your OBP is still sub .300, you can't start and waste 500 plate appearances. Cripples the offense.

Winker also is an everyday corner OF. .400 OBP this year. My hope is that one of the young guys (Senzel/India) has a good spring and is the other corner OF. I like Ervin as a 4th OF, and Mason Williams has promise.
Senzel is about 25 lbs lighter than Schebler and very athletic. He'd probably be a better fit in center but I'd be ok with Senzel in LF, Schebler in CF and Winker in RF for next season. Schebler would be potential trade bait in July if they are out of contention as Trammel should be ready by 2020.

I see India as Votto's replacement in 3 years.

I like Schebler as a player, but he's not a centerfielder. He's an average to below average right fielder, and you want to put him in center??? How about trying to help our pitchers instead of hurting them?? His OBP would have to be .375 or higher to take away the deficiency. Also, Schebler is a strikeout machine. He strikes out way too much for me. He's a sucker for a high fastball, and he strikes out on those alot. Nice 4th outfielder. That's about it. My outfield for 2019, with what we have now is Winker in right, Hamilton in center and I'd platoon Ervin and Schebler in left. I'd guess Senzel gets every chance in the world to make the team. But between vertigo and injury, I'm not real hopeful he's going to make a huge impact just yet.

Without going through all these pages can somebody tell me if Scooter's contract is up or does he have one more year?

According to baseball-reference.com, Scooter's signed through 2018. He's arbitration eligible for '19 and can become a free agent in 2019. I disagree slightly that he can name his price. I really feel the Reds tried to trade him and there was not buyers. There isn't much of a market for 2nd basemen.

I really feel the Reds should do try to sign Scooter to as team friendly contract as possible. Obviously if the asks too much, then we have Nick Senzel that we can slide into 2nd base. But Scooter has become a top flight 2nd baseman in the the past year. I'd say he was our team MVP this past season.

According to baseball-reference.com, Scooter's signed through 2018. He's arbitration eligible for '19 and can become a free agent in 2019. I disagree slightly that he can name his price. I really feel the Reds tried to trade him and there was not buyers. There isn't much of a market for 2nd basemen.

I really feel the Reds should do try to sign Scooter to as team friendly contract as possible. Obviously if the asks too much, then we have Nick Senzel that we can slide into 2nd base. But Scooter has become a top flight 2nd baseman in the the past year. I'd say he was our team MVP this past season.
Buy pitching first.... Then decide what to do with Scooter and Billy.

It's been speculated that Cleveland Indian left fielder Michael Brantley has played his last game with the Tribe. Should the Reds look at bringing in the veteran Brantley if the money isn't awful?

I just don't feel our current outfield group is good enough. Brantley is a veteran, I think he'd be good with our young guys.

It's been speculated that Cleveland Indian left fielder Michael Brantley has played his last game with the Tribe. Should the Reds look at bringing in the veteran Brantley if the money isn't awful?

I just don't feel our current outfield group is good enough. Brantley is a veteran, I think he'd be good with our young guys.
Brantley is a free agent who made $11.5M last year. He made the All-Star team, finishing the year with a .309 BA, .364 OBP, .832 OPS.
Should the Reds look at bringing him in? The answer is NO.

The Reds' biggest weakness -- by far -- is starting pitching. That's where the $$$ need to go.

Which he will be able to basically name his price.

and the Reds will offer what they feel and let the arbitrator decide unless they come to meet in the middle.

What he gets kind of depends on what his agent pushes for. If it is ridiculous number then the Reds have a great chance at winning in the hearing.

and the Reds will offer what they feel and let the arbitrator decide unless they come to meet in the middle.

What he gets kind of depends on what his agent pushes for. If it is ridiculous number then the Reds have a great chance at winning in the hearing.

Or, perhaps it doesn't go to a hearing -- as most of these type of cases get settled beforehand.
I would love to see both parties reach agreement on a multi-year contract. I tend to think that that is what is going to happen. Both Gennett and Sensel can coexist quite well on this team.