Harbaugh

It’s crazy that he still can’t get his offense right but it would be beyond insane to even consider firing him. Unless you can get Saban, Urban, or Dabo, then Harbaugh is the best you’re going to do

It’s crazy that he still can’t get his offense right but it would be beyond insane to even consider firing him. Unless you can get Saban, Urban, or Dabo, then Harbaugh is the best you’re going to do

Seriously? You have a much higher opinion of Harbaugh than I do. He hasn’t even reached Dantonio’s level, let alone Saban, Urban, Dabo. While I probably would give Harbaugh this season and probably next season, I would keep my eye on up and comers like Matt Campbell...and I would start my wish list with Peterson and Shaw.

Brutal schedule this year. I think he's safe regardless this year, but if they lose 4-5 games (counting bowl game) and finish 3rd or 4th in the Big Ten East again his seat's going to be red hot next year IMO.

It's not hard to imagine considering they play at Ohio State and Sparty, and also have Penn State and Wisconsin on their schedule. Given the loss today, a 9-3 regular season would be a good finish given what they have ahead.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Harbaugh hasn't accomplished anything that would merit only canning him if you feel assured of landing a top 3-4 coach. At this point he's by far the most overrated coach in the country. This is his fourth year at UM and so far the results are indicating that he's Michigan's version of Earl Bruce or Bo Pelini.

He's 28-12 40 games into his UM tenure. Brady Hoke was 27-13, and had fared far better against OSU, MSU and ND.

Last edited:
I don't know how hot the seat is for Harbaugh but how the heck has he not found a qb in his time coaching up north?

We'll see where Patterson is after a few weeks. It was his first game so it's kind of tough to be real critical

Harbaugh has one of the best resumes in all of football pre-Michigan, that has to give him some leeway. Brought both Stanford and the Niners back from the dead and had them perennially at or near the highest level

Quite honestly, what David Shaw has done going on eight years at Stanford is far more impressive than what Harbaugh did.

They were awful when Harbaugh got there and improved year-to-year under him, but his two winning seasons were with Andrew Luck under center. Shaw has had 5-6 10+ win seasons so far, and he only had Luck his first year.

Harbaugh has one of the best resumes in all of football pre-Michigan, that has to give him some leeway. Brought both Stanford and the Niners back from the dead and had them perennially at or near the highest level

I exclude the Niners, because the pro game is a different animal. I would definitely consider him as an NFL coach if I were a team owner.

In college, though, you also are responsible for acquiring the talent, and though he’s recruited a few elite players to Michigan, his overall classes have been good, but not great. This isn’t the old Big Ten he grew up in, where you were just happy to reach the Rose Bowl. Nor is it Stanford, where they are happy just to have winning records. Harbaugh needs to step it up.

The bottom line is that you don't pay someone top-5 money to have them consistently lose in big games and to your rivals.

They could be paying Brady Hoke 40% of what they're paying Harbaugh, and the results probably wouldn't be much different. At some point soon, he needs to win. He started out hot with Hoke's players, but the more it has become Harbaugh's program, the more middling his results have become.

Quite honestly, what David Shaw has done going on eight years at Stanford is far more impressive than what Harbaugh did.

They were awful when Harbaugh got there and improved year-to-year under him, but his two winning seasons were with Andrew Luck under center. Shaw has had 5-6 10+ win seasons so far, and he only had Luck his first year.

Andrew Luck in college would make a lot of coaches look good. Agree with what David Shaw has done over time.

The bottom line is that you don't pay someone top-5 money to have them consistently lose in big games and to your rivals.

They could be paying Brady Hoke 40% of what they're paying Harbaugh, and the results probably wouldn't be much different. At some point soon, he needs to win. He started out hot with Hoke's players, but the more it has become Harbaugh's program, the more middling his results have become.

Yup. Harbaugh's past success is just that, in the past.

Who are they getting better than Harbaugh. Name the names for me

We're not dealing in reality since you brought up Saban, Urban, and Dabo. So here are a list of coaches off the top of my head I'd take over Harbaugh right now.

- Smart
- Riley
- Dantonio
- Fischer
- Shaw
- Franklin
- Chryst

Last edited:
We're not dealing in reality since you brought up Saban, Urban, and Dabo. So here are a list of coaches off the top of my head I'd take over Harbaugh right now.

- Smart
- Riley
- Dantonio
- Fischer
- Shaw
- Franklin
- Chryst

I listed those three as clear examples of better coaches than Harbaugh, how is that not reality?

I wouldn’t take any of the coaches you listed over Harbaugh if I was Michigan going forward, other than Lincoln Riley

I listed those three as clear examples of better coaches than Harbaugh, how is that not reality?

Poorly phrased on my part. I meant as in we're not discussing alternatives that are realistic for them to hire should they fire Harbaugh. Obviously they'd have no chance at Saban, Urban, Dabo, etc.

I wouldn’t take any of the coaches you listed over Harbaugh if I was Michigan going forward

This is insanity. You really think Harbaugh is a top 5 college coach at this moment?

- Smart
- Riley
- Dantonio
- Fischer
- Shaw
- Franklin
- Chryst

I would replace Riley with Peterson from Washington. Peterson has a great track record at two schools. Riley hasn't been there long enough to know if he can keep up the recruiting. So far, it looks like he can...but Harbaugh hasn't recruited as well as Hoke, and it's showing up now.

Quite frankly, Harbaugh hasn't accomplished anything as a college coach any better than Bielema or even Ferentz.

Poorly phrased on my part. I meant as in we're not discussing alternatives that are realistic for them to hire should they fire Harbaugh. Obviously they'd have no chance at Saban, Urban, Dabo, etc.

This is insanity. You really think Harbaugh is a top 5 college coach at this moment?

For Michigan, I don’t think there are better options

Against ND they looked overwhelmed at times---and at other times it appeared it was starting to come together. In the NFL, you surround yourself with coordinators who can compensate for your lack of head coaching ability. He is in his fourth year. I can't see them keeping him if he doesn't go at least 9-3 with a bowl win. They just haven't shown the improvement he should be getting.

I have a hard time believing that Michigan can't do better than what Harbaugh has provided. Recruiting has to be a regional/national effort since the in-state talent pool isn't that great and there's another legit in-state program, but everything else about that job is excellent on paper. It's probably sacrilegious to say on this forum, but Ann Arbor has to be about as good as any college town in the country. They can do better.

I'd have to believe that a Fleck-esque coach that can recruit their off would have that program loaded with NFL talent in 3-4 years. They need to leave the "Michigan man" mantra in the past and think outside the box.

I can see a lot of coaches being able to do the x's and o's but there has to be a lot more to coaching at a place like Michigan than that. Tressel was very unique I think, in being able to jump from a small program to a large pretigious program without a burb and I don't think even he could have done it without the Ohio roots.

I can see needing a top proven DI coach if not head coach. Not too many Tressels roaming around.

I really thought and hoped that Harbough would bring back the rivalry. Football seems a bit less without it.

I said it two months ago and I’ll say it again, it would be insane for M*chigan to get rid of Harbaugh.

Also, didn’t it take Bo some time to start beating Ohio State?

The rivalry is alive and well