Cleveland JFK at Dover

Pile Driver

Quiet in the forum so far on this game. Dover won last year’s contest 42-0 I believe. Any reason think this year’s game will be closer or more exciting, or should we expect another running clock?

Good luck to both teams and I’m hoping for a safe and healthy game for all participants.

Pile,

Last year was 45-0...to be exact. I believe this year's team is much more talented, more so than in the past 3-4 years...

With this said, I don't see anything different than a similar result tonight.

Perfect weather for an opener.

That's great to hear. I don't know much about the young ones coming up, but I know they lost Hess, who was their main playmaker last year.

Any news on the kicker and when he'll be back? He is a weapon for this team when healthy.

If anyone watched the WTOV9 preview video, Ifft said he’s not abandoning the 5-wide by any means, but he’s mixing in more run in order to add a measure of toughness. It’ll be exciting to see if this change pans out.

Dover gains some speedy, athletic sophomores in Newsome, Ravine, and Rothacher. Of course, looking for Sayre (who lost weight, but put on some muscle), Folkert (crazy tough playmaker), Snyder (another key playmaker), Sexton, Freeman, Williams, and Poland to perform well on offense. As always, key will be how well the lines shore up, and Dover has some quality, experienced linemen this year in Ward, Beilski, McGrath, Baldwin, Stutzman, and Hay.

McVicker missed one PAT in the last scrimmage, but overall, he performed well in place of Deneher.

Even though Dover moved to D2 this year, Ifft seems optimistic and believes Dover will respond well to the new competition.

Will be at the game tonight, and look forward to having a great season. :thumb:

GO DOVER!

week 1

Tri-Valley hunting for a week 1 and week 2 opponent in 2020. Sure was a fun 4 game series a few years back with Dover. Sure would love to see a week 1 match up in the future. Just an hour down the road.

Dover 54
Cleveland JFK 0

Well, that was painful. Feel sorry for those JFK kids, it was such a mismatch. Hard to say how Dover will do next week, considering tonight's game was in no way a competitive match-up.

Dover scored on the first play of the game. Immediately got the ball back and then scored on the second play of the second series. 41-0 by the end of the first quarter ... and the rest is history.

Liked seeing Dover run the ball more, although they still passed quite a bit. Got beat a few times on the sweep ... better off-tackle. Sayre was taken out by the end of the first quarter, with Ruegsegger at QB the majority of the game.

Think everyone got some playing time, tonight, except of course, a few players with prior injuries. Deneher was dressed, but never went in. McVicker missed 2 PAT's and one 34-yard FG attempt, IIRC. His kicks were a bit low in comparison to Deneher's.

Be interesting to see how Dover measures up against a mended and 'ready for redemption' Lake team, next Friday. Might travel to see that one.

GO DOVER!

I understand the desirability of possibly a sixth home game some years, but what exactly does JFK bring to the table?

Do they help or hurt in the playoff chase?
Just wondering.

Tri-Valley hunting for a week 1 and week 2 opponent in 2020. Sure was a fun 4 game series a few years back with Dover. Sure would love to see a week 1 match up in the future. Just an hour down the road.

Where do we sign up?!

Tri-Valley is always great competition for Dover, and past games were always exciting, with close scores.

Make this happen, McCrate!

I understand the desirability of possibly a sixth home game some years, but what exactly does JFK bring to the table?

Do they help or hurt in the playoff chase?
Just wondering.

Hate to say it, but JFK doesn't bring anything to the table.

They definitely don't help us with Harbins!

That said, Dover seems to be big on its season opener being a Thursday home game, while neighboring New Phila typically has its first game at home on Friday.

Might be time for Dover to reconsider, though. :shrug:

JFK brings the hopes of Harbin points and going 5-5.

It's difficult for Dover to find a week 1 home game when the teams that were open are the likes of Cleveland St Ignatius, Lakewood St Edward, Akron SVSM, Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller, etc.

Tri-Valley would be a great opener, and so would Louisville.

Even a team from the new Eastern Buckeye Conference would be entertaining for Week 1 opener...

Did anyone notice - Dover has gone to the Wing-T and has abandoned the Double Tight run formation...when running the ball. Interesting...