Soccer Refs

the green fog

Cooling Off
Question : Do HS soccer refs go through any type of evaluation at season end ? Reason I am asking is that a big fat ,donut in the pocket ref threw a fan out at a scrimmage just for asking how a call was made . It involved a PK that was saved by St Thomas goalie but the ref had not blown whistle ,so they let kid try again and he converted . Seems to me if the kid who took the PK ,took the kick it should have been live . In general, soccer refs are old and fat and quite weird . Do we have a shortage of up and coming refs ? If so, HS soccer will never be officiated correctly .

I am not a ref or a coach but if I remember correctly you must wait until the ref blows the whistle to kick the ball. If you're early the kick doesn't count and you must re-kick. After the ref blows the whistle of course.

So if I am correct and the ref properly enforced the rules...what is the gripe?

I am not a ref or a coach but if I remember correctly you must wait until the ref blows the whistle to kick the ball. If you're early the kick doesn't count and you must re-kick. After the ref blows the whistle of course.

So if I am correct and the ref properly enforced the rules...what is the gripe?

are you a ref for real ? because you seem to side with these weirdo species

Perhaps a little more civility and a little less name-calling (on and off the field) would encourage the up and comers you seek! ;)

Question : Do HS soccer refs go through any type of evaluation at season end ? Reason I am asking is that a big fat ,donut in the pocket ref threw a fan out at a scrimmage just for asking how a call was made . It involved a PK that was saved by St Thomas goalie but the ref had not blown whistle ,so they let kid try again and he converted . Seems to me if the kid who took the PK ,took the kick it should have been live . In general, soccer refs are old and fat and quite weird . Do we have a shortage of up and coming refs ? If so, HS soccer will never be officiated correctly .

Now that's a hard core fan! Getting thrown out of a SCRIMMAGE takes some doing. Also getting that excited over a scrimmage probably should have a person monitoring their blood pressure closely!

I have seen a ref throw fans out of scrimmage games before. It was a total overreaction by the ref after he had a ten minute running conversation with the fan. After the season the gentleman was asked to leave the local official association. I heard later it took two more years and two different associations before he retired.

A penalty kick needs a whistle.

there actually was a whistle but ref still made a do over bc he said there was trash talk going on and other official was talking to players behind the PK so FAT ref decared a re-do ...complete Bs and unfair to the keeper from St Thomas who was making multiple saves that day in addition to the intial Pk.just what I saw .

there actually was a whistle but ref still made a do over bc he said there was trash talk going on and other official was talking to players behind the PK so FAT ref decared a re-do ...complete Bs and unfair to the keeper from St Thomas who was making multiple saves that day in addition to the intial Pk.just what I saw .

But that isn't what you said originally.

Additionally....its a freaking scrimmage. Who cares?

why we should care is we need to nip BAD REFFING in the bud ..buddy boy . The state of soccer is becoming too big to have terrible , crap official s. Need to light a fire under them ,even in a scrimmage . they are all old ,fat ,poor, no life goofs for the most part . They want the spot light on them .Turrible

why we should care is we need to nip BAD REFFING in the bud ..buddy boy . The state of soccer is becoming too big to have terrible , crap official s. Need to light a fire under them ,even in a scrimmage . they are all old ,fat ,poor, no life goofs for the most part . They want the spot light on them .Turrible

So other than the call not going your way what else did he do wrong besides make the correct call?

You want to improve the state of officiating . There is still time to apply and begin training.

Well ,my son is getting certified and if more young people start to do this while in HS ,they can earn money and save the game by infusing more young refs into the system .this is a huge void right now .Too many old ,grumpy geeky a -holes with no life

Better yet, petition OHSAA to allow USSF licensed officials and end the separate qualification that fuels the issues we have with "not enough fit referees". OHSAA has a vested money making reason to keep the current antiquated system in place. It needs to end for the safety of the players.

1. Yes. HS soccer refs go through a fitness test as well as rules test before season and evaluation throughout and at end of season.
2. As a big fat, donut-in-the-pocket ref I would never throw out a fan just for asking how a call was made, but if that fan was as belligerent as your rant here, then maybe. Although I tend to be mostly deaf on the field, since it isn't about me and I know the rules.
3. The restart on the PK was the correct call as described.
4. Your assumption that the onus is on the kicker is part of the problem of parents not understanding the rules and assuming some good refs are wrong.
5. Agreed on refs being old, fat and weird.
6. There is a huge shortage of refs and many HS games are rescheduled and JV games cancelled each year because of it.
Parents and coaches assuming they understand the rules and berating high school kids attempting to learn the craft during the Spring Travel season is a leading contributor to their not being enough up and coming refs.
And 2731 is correct, the additional time and money required to become HS certified over USSF is a huge deterrent. The refs won't be any better, but at least there will be more of them and some of us old guys can retire with good conscience that at least there will be officials on the field.

Is there any way to teach Green Fog the rules? So he stops getting tossed out of scrimmages...

I can review the laws with him, but until he officiates, or watches as an official and not a parent, a couple of hundred games he won't be trained to see, or more often than not, not see, what is occurring throughout the play. My favorite is parents screaming about missing a call that I see, but if I make it the way they see it, actually hurts their team.

Have to have some additional training to cover the differences between USSF and NFHS rules. Can’t just share a license, high school games aren’t USSF sanctioned, hence the extra money needed for the insurance coverage.

That's an afternoon at most and could be done for free. Also... why different rules anyway? as long as we are petitioning an outdated set of bureaucracy might as well throw the rules differences in too.

Just because USSF doesn't sanction HS doesn't mean you couldn't lean on the license requirement. Insurance could be handled completely separately.

This is what you said.

It involved a PK that was saved by St Thomas goalie but the ref had not blown whistle

Better yet, petition OHSAA to allow USSF licensed officials and end the separate qualification that fuels the issues we have with "not enough fit referees". OHSAA has a vested money making reason to keep the current antiquated system in place. It needs to end for the safety of the players.

while you're at it, get rid of these silly NFHS rules and just use USSF rules

the differences are silly

also, it might be wise to mandate that HS officials at least have a year of USSF under their belts.

I was shocked to find out only 2 of the 12 refs in my HS class had ever refereed a game before.

Last edited:
no , I heard thw whoisle . I believe the ref lied . I am going to video every ref I see wen I go to games and if they mis behave ,I will turn over tapes to OHSAA and what not . Time to DRAIN THE SWAMP .

Note to self: always take people serious when they show such eloquent spelling, grammar, and communication skills.

Grab a book, pick up a whistle, get certified and fix the problem yourself.

Note to self: always take people serious when they show such eloquent spelling, grammar, and communication skills.
Lol

Hey St Thomas goalkeeper's dad.....just ST*U. You're part of the reason for the shortage of refs. Js

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

no , I heard thw whoisle . I believe the ref lied . I am going to video every ref I see wen I go to games and if they mis behave ,I will turn over tapes to OHSAA and what not . Time to DRAIN THE SWAMP .

In the episode that caused you to make this thread, how did the Official/s “mis behave”?

That is not what you said in your initial post, so which is it? Did the ref blow his whistle to "restart play" or didn't he? For the love of God it was a scrimmage. I suggest you sign-up through your local association and get certified to become a ref since you seem to be the most physically fit human on earth.

Instead of wasting your time on video taping the refs, how about going back to the 3rd grade and learning the English language. I think you have drained your brain cells!!