Sad day for basketball

Michael Bluth

With Cousins now heading to Golden State, I may be forced to boycott my favorite sport. If it wasn’t already too much with the Durant move, it certainly is now. Sucks so bad because I love the NBA

What's the over/under on wins for the 'Dubs if they stay healthy and take the regular season seriously? 77?

If Cousins works out and the Warriors commit to spending absurd tax money to keep everyone, they'll put together a 50s and 60s Celtics like title run. Absolutely terrible for the game.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wait I thought Cousins was going to the Cavs with Kemba Walker???

My man Jacob Evans won his first championship ring before his first NBA game.

I'll be curious to see what, if any, impact that the Warriors 3.0 have on the NBA. My inclination is that a lot of casual fans and die hards of non-contenders will be turned off, but maybe that won't be the case.

My bet is he doesn’t play this year ... achilles are not easy to come back from ... if he does may not be the same player ... much like Amare Stoudemire

With Cousins now heading to Golden State, I may be forced to boycott my favorite sport. If it wasn’t already too much with the Durant move, it certainly is now. Sucks so bad because I love the NBA

C'mon!! You don't want to pay 115 a seat to watch your local chapter of the Washington Generals get eviscerated for 3 quarters before the scrubs get in ?

You can get out of the parking garage early!!

My bet is he doesn’t play this year ... achilles are not easy to come back from ... if he does may not be the same player ... much like Amare Stoudemire

Well, now that you mention it, he may not be the type to doggedly press on through rehab to reach his new physical max. He seems competitive, but he has an odd attitude at times. Hard guy to figure out.

When owner/player revue sharing with small rosters elevates salaries to such a high point, weird things can happen. It seems crazy that a +75% pay cut can still leave a multi-million dollar salary, but thats what we have here. Ring-chasing becomes quite easy for the top 10% or so of players. No one could force him to play for 7 mill in Portland if he wants to take 5. for the GSW.

It's going to take fan apathy to force a change.

I'll be curious to see what, if any, impact that the Warriors 3.0 have on the NBA. My inclination is that a lot of casual fans and die hards of non-contenders will be turned off, but maybe that won't be the case.

Most kids like ridiculous video game dominance for a while. The lustre only wears off as they grow up.

I'd imagine that at least a handful of owners are going to want to make some drastic changes in the next CBA.

I know everyone loves Adam Silver because he stood up for 's or whatever, but Stern would have never allowed this to happen as it's obviously now at a point that it's bad for the game.

This is, talent wise, arguably the golden age of basketball. But it will mostly be remembered as one of the least competitive times in the history of the league. That isn't good for the game.

I know everyone loves Adam Silver because he stood up for 's or whatever, but Stern would have never allowed this to happen as it's obviously now at a point that it's bad for the game.

This is, talent wise, arguably the golden age of basketball. But it will mostly be remembered as one of the least competitive times in the history of the league. That isn't good for the game.

They were calling the Jordan years a golden era, with a massive amount of talent throughout the league, and one team...the Bulls...won most of the titles. It didn't diminish how great the overall NBA was at that time, though. The GS thing hasn't, so far, but it could. As fondly as many recall the Magic vs Bird era, it was a pretty dull time to be an NBA fan unless you were a fan of the Lakers or Celtics.

A total PC slave, but still...better than that putz Goodell, who is actually wrecking his league.

They were calling the Jordan years a golden era, with a massive amount of talent throughout the league, and one team...the Bulls...won most of the titles. It didn't diminish how great the overall NBA was at that time, though. The GS thing hasn't, so far, but it could. As fondly as many recall the Magic vs Bird era, it was a pretty dull time to be an NBA fan unless you were a fan of the Lakers or Celtics.

The gap between Jordan's Bulls and the rest of the league was never this large.

A total PC slave, but still...better than that putz Goodell, who is actually wrecking his league.

That's like saying he's better than Pol Pot.

Not so sure this is a good fit. Cousins can shoot but he isn't a perimeter player. He's going to mess up their spacing. Granted, he likely won't play until Christmas or after due to his injury. Then you have the head games - Cousins is a hot head. How does he mesh with Draymond - also a hot head. Also, at what point is there not enough ball to go around?

This would be like the Jordan years if Charles Barkley and Reggie Miller had joined the Bulls

This is just the continuation of a disturbing trend in the NBA, but the actual impact of this single move will be much less than many think. Cousins won't play for a substantial part of the season. Old Boogie doesn't strike me as one of those intense rehab guys. Once he does return, the Warriors will beat everybody by 25 instead of 20 then run through the playoffs as previously expected.

The NBA has become increasingly unwatchable. MLB has had a long term problem with the "haves and have nots" based on the lack of a salary cap and the ability of some teams to just outspend the others, and now the NBA has become even less competitive than MLB. While shooting and athleticism is at an all-time high, fundamentals and defense have decayed considerably. The fan game day experience consists of an "Ahmad" type announcer screaming through every break to blaring hip hop music. I guess that all promotes the brand to a generation that buys shoes and plays NBA2K, but it's getting more and more difficult for me to enjoy.

Oh, and get off my lawn.

Players making concessions and sacrificing stats and playing time. Owners willing to spend more to make more.
A team that drafts well and continues to add pieces to their winning formula.

The Cavs were loaded with Lebron, Kyree and Love to build around. Gilbert was willing to spend the money. While it may change GSW's players are coexisting in the spotlight where Lebron and Kyrie were not. Drafting and free agent signings along with the one year hostage take over was on LBJ. Hard to do business in that world.

Seeing this as a really good top to bottom organization at GSW more than a league problem. Build it and they will come.

^ There are plenty of good top to bottom organizations. These guys (Durant and Cousins) are clearly jumping on the bandwagon to easy championships. It sucks for the league, there is absolutely no way around that

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkxOMsaAmZm/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=15y3x9updn9l

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...ns-to-the-warriors/ar-AAzwmW1?ocid=spartanntp

The many losers and few winners of DeMarcus Cousins to the Warriors

Kristian Winfield 8 hrs ago

The case for LeBron to back out of his Lakers deal

Balance of power again shifts West, boding well for Celtics, 76ers

Video by Fox Sports

If you didn’t think this was fair, you were right.

In a move that stunned basketball fans, reporters, and players far more than any other this summer, All-Star big man DeMarcus Cousins opted to join the repeat NBA champion Golden State Warriors Monday night.

Cousins makes the Warriors so good, it’s laughable. He’ll become the fifth All-Star on Golden State’s roster, with a starting lineup that at some point will feature Boogie, Draymond Green, Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, and Stephen Curry. You’ll be hard-pressed to find five other players in the NBA that can take that team in a 5-on-5 game of pickup.

The Boogie signing sent shockwaves across the other 29 NBA teams. The majority of teams may as well concede defeat before the regular season opener. And even the others that thought they had a puncher’s chance against the Warriors just got rocked with a pre- pre-season haymaker.

Boogie may still be recovering from the torn Achilles that ended his season early, but his presence on this championship Warriors team creates so many losers and only a handful of clear-cut winners:

Loser: New Orleans Pelicans

The Pelicans probably let Boogie walk because they played better last season without him. And sure, in many respects, adding Nikola Mirotic to the starting lineup when Cousins tore his Achilles midseason did, in fact, make the Pelicans better by spacing the floor and opening the lane for Anthony Davis and Jrue Holiday to go to work.

But New Orleans opened the door for one of the best players in the league to go to the best team in the league. The Pelicans will inevitably have to face the Warriors in the playoffs again sooner or later, and when they do, they can only blame themselves for not making an offer on the star center.

Winner: The Warriors

These guys actually have an All-Star Game starting five. Let’s just fast forward to summer 2019 already, copy?

Loser: Conferences

NBA commissioner Adam Silver was already entertaining the thought of doing away with the Eastern and Western Conferences to open up a tournament-style playoff bracket featuring the NBA’s top 16 teams. Now Boogie’s on the Warriors? Press fast forward, commish, please. I beg of you.

Loser: Parity

Yup, the majority of the NBA’s talent is spread across very few teams, namely the Warriors, Celtics, Rockets, LeBron James, Timberwolves, Thunder, Sixers and Raptors. A hard salary cap that teams can’t exceed under any circumstances is no fun whatsoever. So unless there’s an NBA re-draft — ooooooooh, what about a re-draft? — it doesn’t look like there’s much anyone can do about it.

Winner: DeMarcus Cousins

Let’s get serious for a quick second. Boogie had no (ZERO) offers on the table as a free agent this summer. Are you kidding me?

Boogie Cousins said he got ZERO OFFERS (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) in free agency and decided to make a call to Warriors GM Bob Myers.
The league has no one else to blame (!!!). pic.twitter.com/957t0gDg58
— AJ King (@allday_ajking) July 3, 2018

Yes, a torn Achilles is the worst possible injury an NBA player can suffer, and only Dominique Wilkins has returned from one at close to his peak form. But Cousins is a player you take a chance on. Even if you don’t throw the max at him, you throw SOMETHING. A few teams had cap space to sign him, others could have figured out sign-and-trades, but not one made an offer. Cousins reportedly had to call Warriors GM Bob Myers as a result.

You know what? Good for him. Good for Cousins. Go get your ring. The Warriors don’t actually need you right now, so take your sweet time and rehab your Achilles until you’re 128 percent healthy. Then return midseason, probably off the bench, and remind the world how dominant you are. Secure a championship ring, then leave the Warriors next season and secure your max contract bag.

As Kenny ‘The Jet’ Smith would say, “You win, big fella! You win!”

Loser: Houston Rockets

Oof. The Rockets were a Chris Paul hamstring injury away from probably beating the Warriors in the Western Conference Finals. But Paul hurt his hamstring, and Golden State came back to win the series before sweeping the Cavaliers in the Finals.

The Rockets’ game plan this summer has been to bring the gang back, and for the most part — with the exception of Trevor Ariza to Phoenix, and so long as they re-sign Clint Capela — it looks like that’ll happen. But how do you compete when the Warriors sign DEMARCUS COUSINS??
(Hint: You don’t.)

Winner: Warriors jersey sales

I mean, seriously. Can’t you see yourself rocking a Boogie jersey just like this one?

Loser: LeBron James

If ‘Bron thought he was competing with the Warriors this season, that thought just went out the window. Just sip your red wine, hit the hyperbolic time chamber and fast forward to 2019 when your team gets Kawhi Leonard in free agency and maybe gets lucky enough to pry Klay Thompson away from the Warriors. (I lied, Klay’s going to Brooklyn.)

Loser: The NBA

Fans were already starting to lose interest when the Warriors signed Kevin Durant in free agency. Now they’ve got Boogie, too?! Those blowout wins are gonna get real old, real quick.

Winner: The NBA

But the league always makes more money when there are dominant teams.

Loser: The other 29 teams in the league

NOBODY MADE AN OFFER ON COUSINS! YOU CAN ONLY BLAME YOURSELVES. TAKE YOUR L.

© Provided by Vox Media, Inc.

Loser, again: New Orleans Pelicans

So you expect to keep Anthony Davis down the road when his good friend and uber-talented big man jut went to the best team in the league? And you expect to keep Anthony Davis when the Pelicans will have to go through that team to make it to the NBA Finals? AND Rajon Rondo left NOLA for LA?

Good luck keeping AD.

Winner: Boston Celtics and anyone else in the AD sweepstakes

There’s only one team that can take the Warriors with Cousins down, and that team is going to need the help of a superhuman big man — like Anthony Davis — to do it. Davis can become a free agent the summer after next. The clock starts now.

Boston lost out on Cousins, but that might deliver them Davis down the road.

There were many losers from DeMarcus Cousins leaving the Pelicans for the defending champs. But there are only two true winners, and after Monday night, they can celebrate their success for the next 360 or so days.

Last edited:
This would be like the Jordan years if Charles Barkley and Reggie Miller had joined the Bulls

Or Ron Harper and Dennis Rodman chasing rings in Chicago ? Or Ray Allen chasing a ring in Miami with 3 other All star top ten scorers in the league already on the roster.

I do agree it sucks for the rest of the league when one team builds something special enough for players to sacrifice dollars and ego to be a part of.
Also agree their are some other well run organizations. We'll see with these tank built teams just how well run when it's time to pay everyone. I like Ainge and Boston the best.

Comparing 36 year old Ray Allen joining the Heat to 28 year old, second best player in the league, Kevin Durant joining the 73-win Warriors?