Archbishop Hoban HS football Players day

Cougarfan22

Mayor of Akron proclaims today, March 14th, “ Archbishop Hoban HS Football Players day”. Celebrating 3 state championships and 4 school records that were set this year.

Playing politics, looking for votes and campaign contributions. :blush:

Administration from Hoban reached out to the city asking for the recognition. Really put the Mayor in a bad spot.

Thank goodness all the other public and private high schools in the area who have won multiple state titles were proud of what they did on the field and didn't feel the need to self promote by leveraging the mayor's office. Have a pep rally, celebrate the title, hang the banner and move on.

No. Prayer service was held in the gym.
Thats probably the better way to handle the situation. I dont support the message of the walk out of course, im a huge second amendment guy, but I was curious how the Catholic Schools were managing thiz.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

They must not be good at Football. They are local so we know they don’t play basketball there.

Good news for the Mayor is St V prides itself on its’ academics as much as it does it’s sports teams. That’s why his kids are there.

The Mayor also is a high character individual and would never want his kids to be part of a school that prides itself on winning championships while the coach and school is on probation.

Your local comment is hilarious as Hoban’s quarterback lives 45 miles away from his high school.

Good news for the Mayor is St V prides itself on its’ academics as much as it does it’s sports teams. That’s why his kids are there.

The Mayor also is a high character individual and would never want his kids to be part of a school that prides itself on winning championships while the coach and school is on probation.

Your local comment is hilarious as Hoban’s quarterback lives 45 miles away from his high school.

That’s laughable as well. St V Star freshman Basketball player this year from Lorain. I think Atar from last year was from Minerva too wasn’t he? All very local kids. Look they all get kids from everywhere, look at the competitive balance numbers between Hoban and St V. Almost identical so that argument doesn’t hold water.

I’m sure Hoban’s football success has nothing to do with where the mayor chooses to send his kids, but you keep on telling yourself that it does.

That’s laughable as well. St V Star freshman Basketball player this year from Lorain. I think Atar from last year was from Minerva too wasn’t he? All very local kids. Look they all get kids from everywhere, look at the competitive balance numbers between Hoban and St V. Almost identical so that argument doesn’t hold water.

I’m sure Hoban’s football success has nothing to do with where the mayor chooses to send his kids, but you keep on telling yourself that it does.

Where is your TE coming from this year? Columbus.....or Massillon.....or Cincinnati.

Just to clarify, the Mayor comes from a long time St. V family.

Must...everything...Hoban...turn...into...a...p!$$!ng...contest?

Your QB is from Stow. What is the difference? Let’s look at your hoops roster the past ten years and see how local they have been. You want to talk about the middle school group being assembled right now that played with a certain superstar’s kid? Who paid for them to move to Akron? Who is going to pay their tuition next year? Your house is made of glass. I don’t care where the Mayor’s kids go or how parents choose but hold onto your stones there Sparky. You guys brought it up.

You brought it up Sparky.....you implied the Mayor’s kids didn’t play basketball because they are “local”.

That’s the pot calling the kettle black using your QB as the example....and your new-old TE. Hard to really tell where he is from.

Are you seriously asking this question? You are one of the key antagonists. You drop bombs then do the Steve Urkel “did I do that”.

I think if you look back sport, you'll see that I have been one of the more neutral outsiders with regard to Hoban. I have at times even defended it. In reality, I have regularly castigated the over the top critics as well as the shameless unobjective cheerleaders, but feel free to reach your conclusions after being here for 2 or 3 months.

Last edited:
Thanks Chief for throwing the Yappi seniority list out there. In my short time on here I have been very complimentary and defensive of SVSM. Both sides have people waiting to instigate or attack. Kind of hard not to get a little defensive.

Think what you will Bobby. My comment was not intended to address yappi seniority, but rather directed at reaching hasty conclusions. I suspect those hasty conclusions may be a symptom of being "a little defensive." In any event, have a good day.

Last edited:
Isn't the beauty of most Catholic /AAU sports teams the fact that you can get " Students " errr Players" from places far away from your campus ?

Why is there any conversation about where kids going to 'Catholic/ Private /AAU , programs live exactly ?

The Probation quip was kind a funny though , so if I may ASK 'Do you get credit for a probation visit just showing up to this day of honored Glory and record setting ??

Administration from Hoban reached out to the city asking for the recognition. Really put the Mayor in a bad spot.

Thank goodness all the other public and private high schools in the area who have won multiple state titles were proud of what they did on the field and didn't feel the need to self promote by leveraging the mayor's office. Have a pep rally, celebrate the title, hang the banner and move on.

This is not true. The administration made no such call or ask.

There have been zero all-school assemblies or planned special public recognition rallies specifically for the team since its first title in 2015 outside of a round of applause at the halftime of a basketball game.

These recognition proclamations and plaques from City Council are standard fare for area state championship teams and accomplishments. Mayor Jeff Fusco, Acting-Mayor at the time, delivered a similar proclamation to the team, along with the State Champion Girls Soccer team, in 2015. There is one in the school trophy case proclaiming a "Butch Reynolds Day", too. I also seem to recall Coach Dambrot and the Fab 5 being honored by Akron City Council following at least one of their championship runs as well:

From the West Side Leader: "James didn’t do it alone, of course, the contributions of Carter, Dru Joyce, Sian Cotton and others who would bring the STVM boys basketball team its first state championship since 1984. On April 10, the team, along with the school’s national champion cheer and dance team, were honored at City Hall by the mayor and Council."

There have been zero all-school assemblies or planned special public recognition rallies specifically for the team since its first title in 2015 outside of a round of applause at the halftime of a basketball game.

These recognition proclamations and plaques from City Council are standard fare for area state championship teams and accomplishments. Mayor Jeff Fusco, Acting-Mayor at the time, delivered a similar proclamation to the team, along with the State Champion Girls Soccer team, in 2015. There is one in the school trophy case proclaiming a "Butch Reynolds Day", too. I also seem to recall Coach Dambrot and the Fab 5 being honored by Akron City Council following at least one of their championship runs as well:

From the West Side Leader: "James didn’t do it alone, of course, the contributions of Carter, Dru Joyce, Sian Cotton and others who would bring the STVM boys basketball team its first state championship since 1984. On April 10, the team, along with the school’s national champion cheer and dance team, were honored at City Hall by the mayor and Council."

Good info Brian. That recognition is well-deserved.

Thank you Brian for factual information.

Thanks Chief for throwing the Yappi seniority list out there. In my short time on here I have been very complimentary and defensive of SVSM. Both sides have people waiting to instigate or attack. Kind of hard not to get a little defensive.

Don't forget. Bobby is really CougarFan, so he's been around longer than it appears.