Bearcats basketball 2017-2018

Saw during the SMU game yesterday that UC's "Best win" this season is Buffalo. Makes these next few games (Houston, Wich St x2) that much more important. Lose two of those and could really hurt their seed due to a lack of quality win

Buffalo? How so? UCLA is 2nd, albeit in a weak Pac 12. Houston is a fringe tournament team, they beat them by double-digits.

That's just what they showed in a graphic. Decided to look up the RPI rankings just to confirm. Houston "should" be considered the best win.

Record vs RPI top 25 teams: 0-1
RPI 26-50: 4-1

Current RPI ranks:
Xavier - 2
UC - 6
Wich St - 19
Houston - 30
Buffalo - 32
Temple - 40
Florida - 47
UCLA - 53

Last edited:
Offense and defensive rebounding were horrendous tonight. Went the final 12 minutes of the game without a FG.

Just a pathetic performance all-around. Classic Cronin offense rears its ugly head. Evans was a complete non-factor. If they carry this into Sunday the home winning streak is gone. Oh well it had to end at some point. On to the next one.

Eh, somewhat. The last 2 years they are 19-8 when their opponent scores more than 60. The 2 years before that they were 16-20. But still, point made. Cronin is a terrible offensive mind. It's so damn frustrating.

It's mind blowing to me he refuses to hire an offensive minded assistant. Change something. It's been the same assistants since the 12-13 season.

Eh, somewhat. The last 2 years they are 19-8 when their opponent scores more than 60. The 2 years before that they were 16-20. But still, point made. Cronin is a terrible offensive mind. It's so damn frustrating.

This is conjecture but I'd bet the majority of those wins came in the early season against mid majors. Don't have a laptop to look at the schedule

It's 1 loss so I won't bash anything other than the fact that Broome isn't getting any minutes. He played 3 minutes in the 2nd half last night in a game they couldn't score... :blush:

Maybe it's just this week that's been upsetting, but I'm starting to lose faith in Cronin. 35-29 in the last 4 years when opponents score 60+, 17-20 when they score 65+, and 10-13 when they score 70+.

In that same time frame they've finished 252nd, 145th, 231st, and are 255th this season in FT %. Does he practice free throw shooting at all?

5-12 against top 25(0-3 this season).

Yeah his defense is elite, but no team in going to have any sort of success against top competition or tourney success when the offense and FT shooting is this bad. Since it seems as if Cronin is going to be a career guy, I'm not sure this is what we want for the next 15-20 years, especially since it seems like he's completely unwilling to fix these glaring weaknesses.

There's no plan B for Cronin's teams when they face a little adversity against teams with equal or better talent. 27 games in and the only game where they arguably overachieved against a decent team was UCLA.

Need some drastic changes to take place in the coming weeks if this team is going to compete @Wichita and win the AAC tournament on top of that.

Winning today could've been the difference between facing a team like Creighton in the NCAA 2nd round instead of a team like Arizona.

Hopefully he’s at least recognized Broome needs to play over Jennifer or they will be an early exit team this year. Cronin’s ceiling is top 25; make hay on middle pack opponents; and wilt offensively in big games.

I get that Cronin isn't an offensive minded coach. I'm fine with that. But how the hell do you produce the same putrid offense for 5+ years without making any changes to your coaching staff? I won't lie, I don't know what Larry Davis, Darren Savino or Antwon Jackson bring to the table but it's pretty clear it isn't offense. One of those three guys have to go and Cronin has to bring on someone who can run the offense for this team. It's mind blowing.

Bearcats clinch a share of the AAC crown last night at Tulane, setting up the defacto Championship Game for UC, though winner will end up as #1 seed in the tournament. Evans rolled an ankle and it didn't look promising at the time, but looks like he should be fine for Sunday. Moore and Williams saw time in Evans absence but didn't play well in the 1st half so Cronin tried Jenifer at the 1 and Broome at the 2, which looked very good albeit against a bad Tulane team. It's a pretty small lineup, but Broome can create enough offense to make it work should Evans and Washington get in foul trouble like they did last time against WSU.

Missed a big opportunity in the 1st half up 11. Shockers had a couple more empty posessions but UC had 3-4 terrible offensive trips. Evans just left the court hobbling. Not looking good for Cats especially with Clark and Washington playing so poorly.

I just caught the last minute. Great D on the last play. But I wish talls would learn, swatting a ball looks good but a simple block and catch usually works better towards the desired end. Though maybe they're taught differently?

That one felt damn good.

Yes it did. UC did a very good job slowing the pace and not letting Wichita get out and run, something that killed them in the first meeting. Evans was a little hobbled but he came up big on a couple possessions late in the game. Their offense is still horrendous. Just watching Wichita run it's sets, seeing the spacing and movement is night and day compared to Cincinnati. Still, feels good to win the outright title against basically the new league rival on the road. Side note, the Roudhouse looks like a great place to watch a game.