AFC Championship: #3 Jacksonville at #1 New England

Don't think they choked at all, the Patriots made the needed adjustments, and just took it to them

They definitely choked. The offense was on the field for like 4 minutes the whole quarter due to going conservative with predictable early down playcalling. The defense just wore down.

They definitely choked. The offense was on the field for like 4 minutes the whole quarter due to their predictable early down playcalling. The defense just wore down.

They put the 4th qtr in the hands of their 4th overall pick from last year. Classic choke job.

Definitely had nothing to do with the best player at most impactful position on the field, or the great NE DC and HC. No way.

Every team gets shut down when their playcalling is predictable. It's the NFL. It takes more than talent to win; teams need a good scheme, discipline, and smart in-game coaching. The Jags made the mistake of continuing to run when NE was clearly looking for it. A play action pass, which was killing NE the first 45 minutes, would have likely worked wonderfully.

I think they got too concerned with running out the clock and not wanting to throw a pick and went too conservative. You have to blame the OC or Marrone. They just choked. Belichick wins again.

Every team gets shut down when their playcalling is predictable. It's the NFL. It takes more than talent to win; teams need a good scheme, discipline, and smart in-game coaching. The Jags made the mistake of continuing to run when NE was clearly looking for it. A play action pass, which was killing NE the first 45 minutes, would have likely worked wonderfully.

I think they got too concerned with running out the clock and not wanting to throw a pick and went too conservative. You have to blame the OC or Marrone. They just choked. Belichick wins again.

The run/pass ratio of the Jags in the 4th quarter was 4:14.

In the second half, the Jags passed on first down 5 of 15 times and passed on second 9 of 13 times. New England just adjusted better at half time and shut them down. That's not a choke, it's being out-played.

Jags lost this game when they had 55 secs and two timeouts at the end of the first half and chose to take a knee.

you simply don't GIVE AWAY opportunities to put points on the Pats. don't care if you're getting the ball to start the 3rd or not. you take a chance. run a screen. go 4 wide and hand it off from shotgun and see if you could chunk a 10 yard-15 yard run. you do SOMETHING there to try and at least get 3 and possibly 7 if you get a big play.

played "not to lose" right there and it came back to bite them.

The run/pass ratio of the Jags in the 4th quarter was 4:14.

In the second half, the Jags passed on first down 5 of 15 times and passed on second 9 of 13 times. New England just adjusted better at half time and shut them down. That's not a choke, it's being out-played.

My god you are dense. Did you even read my post?

My god you are dense. Did you even read my post?

The early down play calling was fine. They were not "too predictable". Your boy wasn't enough. Bortles wasn't good enough. Some tremendous plays were made in pass defense. The main issue was that they were simply outplayed. That isn't a choke. Did you want some Hue Jackson trick formations ?

The early down play calling was fine. They were not "too predictable". Your boy wasn't enough. Bortles wasn't good enough. Some tremendous plays were made in pass defense. The main issue was that they were simply outplayed. That isn't a choke. Did you want some Hue Jackson trick formations ?

here's what Jax did on 1st down with the lead in the 2nd half:

Fournette, 2 yards
Fournette, 1 yard
Fournette, 3 yards
Incomplete
Fournette, 0
Flea Flicker, 15 yard COMPLETION!
Fournette, 2 yards
Fournette, 14 yards
incomplete
Fournette, 2 yards
Fournette, 1 yard
Fournette, 1 yard
Fournette, -1 yard

yup. not "too predictable" at all. :Ohno::Ohno::Ohno:

Fournette, 2 yards
Fournette, 1 yard
Fournette, 3 yards
Incomplete
Fournette, 0
Fournette, 2 yards
Fournette, 14 yards
incomplete
Fournette, 2 yards
Fournette, 1 yard
Fournette, 1 yard
Fournette, -1 yard

He doesn't know what he's talking about. Par for the course.

Excellent game plan by the Jags, they executed it to perfection for 3+ quarters. Just needed to sustain a few more drives late and finish the game. The conversion on 3rd and 18 was on the second to last TD was a killer, followed by poor field position. This produced a short punt and the Pats were in business again. They absolute kill you in the 4th quarter if you let them.

I also give the Patriots organization alot of credit today. I thought there was about a 5% chance Gronk would not play the 2nd half, but he didn't. He was clearly shaky after the hit and even if the Pats lose, it's always the right decision.
I'm not sure where the NFL can go from here other than making the penalties stiffer. There were many who complained that the shot Barry Church put on Gronk was legal. Look, I understand, it's football, it's a man's game and it's physical. The idea though is to try to make the game as safe as possible, so we are not losing players to injuries that are preventable. Taking the big, knockout shot is no longer going to be permitted in football anymore. I like the college rule where the offending player gets ejected, I think the NFL really needs to consider this. A 15 yard penalty for knocking out the best receiver on the opposing team doesn't seem quite fair. And this isn't just an indictment on the defensive players. Church put himself in as much danger as Gronk. He could have knocked himself out.

Fournette, 2 yards
Fournette, 1 yard
Fournette, 3 yards
Incomplete
Fournette, 0
Fournette, 2 yards
Fournette, 14 yards
incomplete
Fournette, 2 yards
Fournette, 1 yard
Fournette, 1 yard
Fournette, -1 yard

Hey, don't go moving the goal posts. And don't help the Boy Wonder 'saders, either. He never qualified it with, "with a lead". My 5 of 15 was accurate.

Anyway, that's^ what a team with a great D and the power running game featuring a #4 overall pick should do with a lead. They were simply outplayed. Why else would you burn a #4 on a RB ?

Deshaun Watson was available when Large Lenny was picked at #4. I wonder what plays Jax would have called for him ?

:laugh:

Last edited: