CVC Valley

I would not be surprised. As there has been a gap in some sports competitively for some time. Though, I have not heard or read of any plans of schools leaving.

Conference is currently accepting new membership applications. Who would be a good fit?

http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/SchoolResources/Conferences/ChagrinValleyConferenceOpenings.pdf

Warrensville Hts, Bedford, Ashtabula Lakeside, and Ashtabula Edgewood are east side schools I can think of that may be looking for a new league. I could see Brooklyn, Lutheran West, Fairview Park, Rocky River and Bay apply from the west side. I’m not sure any of these schools could be called a great fit for the CVC depending on all the sports they offer or geographic location. But, maybe good.

Warrensville Hts, Bedford, Ashtabula Lakeside, and Ashtabula Edgewood are east side schools I can think of that may be looking for a new league. I could see Brooklyn, Lutheran West, Fairview Park, Rocky River and Bay apply from the west side. I’m not sure any of these schools could be called a great fit for the CVC depending on all the sports they offer or geographic location. But, maybe good.

Berkshire and Cardinal would be a good fit in the PTC with the County Conference

Perhaps the Valley will consist of Beachwood, Wickliffe, Kirtland, Cuy. Hts, Independence, Cardinal, Berkshire and Brooklyn. If Cardinal and Berkshire leave, that would lead to Chagrin Falls and Orange moving in. Only issue would be a conference ranging from div 4-7. Or maybe they break up the Valley, move Kirtland and Wickliffe up to Chagrin and throw out either Harvey or Geneva

Berkshire, Cardinal, and Fairport would all be candidates to join the NAC, and would give the NAC at least 8 members in football, and make scheduling a whole lot easier for them, but I can't see it happening........

Having only Chalker, Grand Valley, Mathews, Newbury, Pymatuning Valley, and Windham, the addition of Berkshire, Cardinal, and Fairport Harbor, would be a nice fit.... Having 5 league games and 5 non league games sucks to schedule....

The best thing for the CVC is to get rid of the two divisions and make it an 8 team conference as it originally was years ago. It would be great to see the CVC consist of Chagrin Falls, Chardon, Kenston, West Geauga, Orange, Perry, Madison or keep Geneva, and Harvey. These schools will have good crosstown rivals back ( Chagrin Falls & Kenston, Chardon & West Geauga, Perry & Madison etc.) Get rid of the small school division and form their own conference.

Almost impossible to speculate until information is released about the schools leaving. Interesting there has not been an announcement of schools leaving, but the CVC has invited applications in December. Maybe the schools rumored to be leaving are giving the CVC an opportunity to fix their concerns before they bolt?

Almost impossible to speculate until information is released about the schools leaving. Interesting there has not been an announcement of schools leaving, but the CVC has invited applications in December. Maybe the schools rumored to be leaving are giving the CVC an opportunity to fix their concerns before they bolt?
The PTC next meeting this will be brought up this month

Isn't the PTC at 15 teams? Both would make sense there but would it be just be one or is there a school leaving the PTC?

Yes, but there's room for 2 in the PTC since Lake Center Christian doesn't field a football team. Also, there may have been rumors about Valley Christian already wanting out of the PTC, or did I dream those up? :shrug:

Yes, but there's room for 2 in the PTC since Lake Center Christian doesn't field a football team. Also, there may have been rumors about Valley Christian already wanting out of the PTC, or did I dream those up? :shrug:

Forgot about no football at Lake Center. Wasn't that supposed to eventually happen? 6 team league would be tough.

Back to the CVC, very interesting that they are taking applications before anyone has at least announced they are leaving. I would think schools would want to know which schools they would be joining ultimately. I am sure they will get some solid interest.

Forgot about no football at Lake Center. Wasn't that supposed to eventually happen? 6 team league would be tough.

Back to the CVC, very interesting that they are taking applications before anyone has at least announced they are leaving. I would think schools would want to know which schools they would be joining ultimately. I am sure they will get some solid interest.

There was talk of Lake Center adding football as a way to gain admission into the PTC, but I don't see it happening. If they were going to do it, I would think they would've already started offering it at the junior high level. There's no evidence of that, nor do I think that they have the numbers to do it. Even their JH soccer team is coed.

If I'm the PTC and can get Berkshire and Cardinal, that gets me up to 8 teams in the County Division (7 that play football). Additionally, I'd try to get Medina Buckeye into the Metro Division and then drop Field down to the County. That would keep the Metro at 8 and make it a perennially stronger division, and that would bring the County up to 8 and put Field in with more of their old PCL rivals. The only downside would be having 9 teams in the County for all sports except football. Some ADs may be OK with that since it makes their job of scheduling contests that much easier, but others may not wish to be locked into that many league games.

We'll see what happens, but it appears that this is a golden opportunity for the PTC to stabilize both divisions for the near future.

There was talk of Lake Center adding football as a way to gain admission into the PTC, but I don't see it happening. If they were going to do it, I would think they would've already started offering it at the junior high level. There's no evidence of that, nor do I think that they have the numbers to do it. Even their JH soccer team is coed.

If I'm the PTC and can get Berkshire and Cardinal, that gets me up to 8 teams in the County Division (7 that play football). Additionally, I'd try to get Medina Buckeye into the Metro Division and then drop Field down to the County. That would keep the Metro at 8 and make it a perennially stronger division, and that would bring the County up to 8 and put Field in with more of their old PCL rivals. The only downside would be having 9 teams in the County for all sports except football. Some ADs may be OK with that since it makes their job of scheduling contests that much easier, but others may not wish to be locked into that many league games.

We'll see what happens, but it appears that this is a golden opportunity for the PTC to stabilize both divisions for the near future.

Medina Buckeye is way too far out to be in the PTC. I know the argument is Lodi Cloverleaf but still a stretch to put them in your travel plans.

I'm going to add Ashtabula St. John to the list of possible applicants.

If Berkshire and Cardinal indeed are the only schools leaving the CVC, I will go out on a limb and say Lutheran West and Brooklyn would be front-runners for admission if they apply. They are rivals and seem to move as a pair. The CVC has made a recent statement by booting Kenston and Aurora that top to bottom they want it to be a small school conference. CVC can just add them to the Valley Division and keep the Chagrin Division as is based on enrollment. Furthest commute for Lutheran West in Rocky River would be between 45 min-hour to Fairport Harbor, which is reasonable. Fairview can seek admission into the GLC with Bay, Rocky River, and other west side schools to make it an even eight number.

Last edited:
Football is the main money maker in high school sports, that is the reason that schools look for new conferences. There are some schools in CVC valley conference that do not bring fans.

You do make sense for the PTC, but I know Berkshire and Cardinal are tired of being owned by Kirtland in football, why would they move to the PTC so they would just be owned by Mogadore.... Being within shouting distance of Grand Valley, Newbury, and even Pymatuning Valley, I just see a move to the NAC easier then the PTC, but that there is opinion, and I am interested to see where they will go...

The best thing for the CVC is to get rid of the two divisions and make it an 8 team conference as it originally was years ago. It would be great to see the CVC consist of Chagrin Falls, Chardon, Kenston, West Geauga, Orange, Perry, Madison or keep Geneva, and Harvey. These schools will have good crosstown rivals back ( Chagrin Falls & Kenston, Chardon & West Geauga, Perry & Madison etc.) Get rid of the small school division and form their own conference.
Chardon, Kenston, and Madison are fine in the Reserve. I think those three would dominate the likes of CFalls, WestG, Orange, and Perry.
It should be Perry, Cfalls, WestG, Orange, Wickliffe, Kirtland, and Geneva.

Something like that. Kirtland is the smallest school but athletics are great. Geneva is the biggest but athletics need work.

Chardon, Kenston, and Madison are fine in the Reserve. I think those three would dominate the likes of CFalls, WestG, Orange, and Perry.
It should be Perry, Cfalls, WestG, Orange, Wickliffe, Kirtland, and Geneva.

Something like that. Kirtland is the smallest school but athletics are great. Geneva is the biggest but athletics need work.

I agree the WRC is near unbreakable right now. Rivalries are strong and secure between many of the schools for 20 years now. And, the addition of Mayfield, Kenston, and Brush in the formation of the WRC renewed more rivalries. Considering the enrollment difference between the CVC and WRC, it's kinda sad to say many of CVC programs at least in the money-making sports for boys and girls would at minimum be competitive in the WRC. If not dominate in some sports. It just doesn't make sense for smaller schools to take that gamble year-in and year-out against larger enrollment, when its convenient enough to schedule OOC contests. I think the CVC benefits in some ways having two divisions because if there is a change in enrollment or competition, they have the flexibility to re-align. I wouldn't suggest changing something that is working as long as it has. Depending on what schools are added, they can even adopt what the Suburban League has done with some sports aligning east and west to cut down on travel. I think if they keep the alignment at an even 8-school big and small school divisions, the league will continue to thrive. If they try to blow it up over 16 schools or add schools larger than Geneva, than it will become too difficult to manage.

Kind of a mixed bag in terms of surprise about Cardinal and Berkshire leaving the CVC, if it's them. I'm not sure how much gain in terms of travel distances being closer for them going to the PTC. That said, not having to play Kirtland and Cuyahoga Hts every year in football is probably the driver of this.

In terms of football, I would think it behooves the conference to find two schools that fit into the upper division. Right now the two schools between Beachwood, Wickliffe, and Hawken stuck in the upper division for football are miscast. The problem is schools that best fit the upper division are out of the way geographically. I know there was mutual interest between the conference and Bay/Rocky River a few years ago but that faded because of major travel issues; Fairview is another similar option now.

Lutheran West and Brooklyn are also orphans at the moment. They have similar issues to the table in terms of travel, plus enrollment wise are kind of in the no man's land of Beachwood, Hawken, and Wickliffe.

Kind of a mixed bag in terms of surprise about Cardinal and Berkshire leaving the CVC, if it's them. I'm not sure how much gain in terms of travel distances being closer for them going to the PTC. That said, not having to play Kirtland and Cuyahoga Hts every year in football is probably the driver of this.

In terms of football, I would think it behooves the conference to find two schools that fit into the upper division. Right now the two schools between Beachwood, Wickliffe, and Hawken stuck in the upper division for football are miscast. The problem is schools that best fit the upper division are out of the way geographically. I know there was mutual interest between the conference and Bay/Rocky River a few years ago but that faded because of major travel issues; Fairview is another similar option now.

Lutheran West and Brooklyn are also orphans at the moment. They have similar issues to the table in terms of travel, plus enrollment wise are kind of in the no man's land of Beachwood, Hawken, and Wickliffe.
They play some PTC schools that will bring fans. Four of the schools are are 35 minute or less drive from these 2 schools. Mogadore will bring fans along with Gville

So instead of getting beat by Cuy. Hts and Kirtland, they will get beat by Rootstown, Garretsville and Mogadore. Doesn't make sense to me.

So instead of getting beat by Cuy. Hts and Kirtland, they will get beat by Rootstown, Garretsville and Mogadore. Doesn't make sense to me.

ball 4 has said a few times that the look to possibly move is not a desire to compete for a title, but to improve money at the gates. Apparently, they are ok with probably losing as long as the other school is bringing fans and the money supports it.