Kentucky Jr High Kids

brianwr112

I was at a tournament today (Walnut Hills) where they wouldn't allow KY junior high kids to wrestle at the high school tournament. They supposedly called the head ref for the state who confirmed that they WERE NOT allowed.

Now across the city at Coaches Classic there's a junior high kid in the semis and I tried to use Mark Hall as an example with no luck.

Now these weren't my kids but I thought they deserved to wrestle. Has the rule changed? Are junior high kids wrestling varsity allowed to wrestle in Ohio events?

This was the first time I'd ever seen them banned and it was by the head ref. There were no coaches challenging their eligibility and all were actually fighting for the kids. They said they called James Vreeland who confirmed they could not wrestle. When questioned further by the coach Vreeland told him he'd research further on Monday. (last two comments are hearsay though I do know calls were made to someone.)

When you go to another state to wrestle you go by that states rules. For example Michigan uses the old weights but when they wrestle in Ohio they use our weights. The rule in Ohio is Jr High Kids are not allowed to wrestled high school matches.

When you go to another state to wrestle you go by that states rules. For example Michigan uses the old weights but when they wrestle in Ohio they use our weights. The rule in Ohio is Jr High Kids are not allowed to wrestled high school matches.

That's fine but Northern Kentucky schools have been using Junior High kids in Ohio tournaments for years. Especially border schools who often wrestle in Ohio. These kids often make a national name for themselves based off Cincy and Dayton Holiday tournaments at such a young age. Why was it always fine before?

The Kentucky coaches had told me ahead of time that they were bringing JH kids. Every coach I talked to told me that it was acceptable. When the head ref questioned it, I said that the Coaches Classic allowed JH. He called his boss and he confirmed.

I then called a coach at the Coaches Classic and he let me speak to Dick Lowenstein. Initially, he said that it was up to the tournament director, but then he said he better confirm that. He called his boss and they said that our head ref was right.

I definitely don't want to do anything to chase a team away from coming to my tournament. But my hands were tied.

If you have a question about this

Emmerson Mincy
513-379-4563

I am not sure why this is even an issue especially for the State Rules Interpreters.

Straight from the 2017-18 OHSAA Wrestling Manual for 7-8 Grades:

b) No one below the 7th grade shall practice/participate with or against 7th & 8th grade wrestlers. 7th & 8th grade wrestlers shall not practice/participate with or against 9th-12th grade wrestlers.

For any other info here is the link to the Manual:

http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Wrestling/JH-Manual.pdf

It’s been allowed as far back as I can remember.

Saw it yesterday up at a Dayton tourney... coaches, gmvwa tourney always been allowed.

I am not sure why this is even an issue especially for the State Rules Interpreters.

Straight from the 2017-18 OHSAA Wrestling Manual for 7-8 Grades:

b) No one below the 7th grade shall practice/participate with or against 7th & 8th grade wrestlers. 7th & 8th grade wrestlers shall not practice/participate with or against 9th-12th grade wrestlers.

For any other info here is the link to the Manual:

http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Wrestling/JH-Manual.pdf

So ohio schools cannot compete against KY schools then that have jh kids on their team? Even though KY allows jh to wrestle hs. Thats what needs to be made clear by ohsaa .

If thats the case i imagine there will be other states that may allow jh kids to compete and then Ohio teams would not compete against them or those kids.

Or ky just needs to follow ohssa rules when they come to compete in Ohio.

They also rank 4th graders in the middle school rankings in KY. There’s a reason OHSAA has its rule prohibiting jh kids. It’s good for the sport and better for the kids involved.

Changing the rules in Ohio to match other states that allow jh and hs to combine would help with forfeits.
My team would fill 13 instead of 12.
Now there’s an interesting topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first grader is a HAMMER! Can I enter him into the 106 weight class? He's giving up 66 lbs, but he'll pin them all with his dog bite cradle.

Anyone remember Van Owen ? Dude was a monster. Had one of the best head & arm's in Kentucky middle school wrestling history (I think that is why they banned him from competing at Iron man).

Back in 1966 or 7, he had an epic battle Roland Thompson-Gunner. That SOB Van Owen, nearly took off Roland's head.

Anyone remember Van Owen ? Dude was a monster. Had one of the best head & arm's in Kentucky middle school wrestling history (I think that is why they banned him from competing at Iron man).

Back in 1966 or 7, he had an epic battle Roland Thompson-Gunner. That SOB Van Owen, nearly took off Roland's head.

Was definitely an excitable boy.