Volleyball Tourney

Somebody is getting hot at the right time. What an impressive performance by LC today.

And the fact that Beaumont knocked Gilmour out of the regional sure does help. No easy task to move on at the Stow regional, but never thought Gilmour wouldn't be there. GO LAKE GO STATE

And the fact that Beaumont knocked Gilmour out of the regional sure does help. No easy task to move on at the Stow regional, but never thought Gilmour wouldn't be there. GO LAKE GO STATE

Beaumont is a fascinating team. They came into the tourney 4-18 and seeded below a very good VASJ and a 3rd in the state ranked Gilmour, on paper a mismatch for either. Yet Beaumont played an incredibly tough schedule with 5 Div I Regional Champs and 2 Div II Regional Champs on it and the NCL teams that finished as runner ups, those wins were not flukes. Both Lake and Beaumont have work to do but I fully expect another all NCL final at Stow, wonder how many District champs Marlington or Triway played?

Beaumont is a fascinating team. They came into the tourney 4-18 and seeded below a very good VASJ and a 3rd in the state ranked Gilmour, on paper a mismatch for either. Yet Beaumont played an incredibly tough schedule with 5 Div I Regional Champs and 2 Div II Regional Champs on it and the NCL teams that finished as runner ups, those wins were not flukes. Both Lake and Beaumont have work to do but I fully expect another all NCL final at Stow, wonder how many District champs Marlington or Triway played?

Marlington has played 2 district champions, and 4 district runner-ups.

District Champs: D1 Wadsworth and D3 Salem
District Runner-Ups: D1 Solon, D1 Hoover, D2 Carrollton, & D2 East Liverpool

What does anyone know about the D3 Barberton Regional? I heard Independence is really good, but don't know much about Berkshire or Canton Central Catholic.

If I had to guess for that D2 Stow Regional, I would think Lake Catholic would beat Marlington. I would be surprised if it's in straight sets though.

Canton CC – regular season 18-4.

3 of 4 losses were to District Champions – D1 Jackson (1-3), D1 Wadsworth (0-2), D4 St. Thomas Aquinas (2-3).
4th loss was to District Runner-Up – D2 Carrollton (0-2).
Defeated District Runner-Up – D1 Hoover (2-1).

Went 7-2 against 8 D1 teams (played Massillon twice).
Went 5-1 against 6 D2 teams.

I'll keep everyone updated in the Southwest...
D1 - It's all Cincinnati (and some of the best volleyball in the state)

Ursuline def. Troy
MND def. Springboro
Mercy def. Centerville
Mason over St. Ursula

The regional is going to be some great volleyball. Mason v Ursuline and MND vs Mercy. tough to make a prediction as they are all very tough and it all depends on who is on. I'm gonna go Ursuline comes out of this State final four type regional

D2 - some good matches

Fenwick over Tippecanoe
Alter def. Roger Bacon
Kenton Ridge over McNicholas

Regionals
Alter vs. Fenwick ( I pick Alter)
Kenton Ridge vs. Logan Elm (I go with Elm)

Alter takes the region

D3 -The North of the region reigns supreme
Versailles over Madeira
Miami East def. CHCA
Anna over Williamsburg

Regionals
Versailles vs Johnstown Monroe (Versailles is tough)
Miami East vs. Anna (miami east is good)

Regional finals is going to be a barn burner between defending state champs and Versailles. I am going to go with Versailles in the upset. No wait, I change my mind Miami East is a lot better than people give them credit for (just like last year)

D4 - some interesting match ups
Russia def Riverside
Fort Loramie def MVCA
New Bremen def. St. Henry
Jackson Center def. Cincy Christian

regionals
Russia v. Fort Loramie (Ft. Loramie)
New Bremen v. JC (New Bremen knocks off defending state champs)

Regional finals: I think paige jones is just too good...New Bremen!

D1 Norwalk

Toledo Notre Dame 22-3 vs Toledo St. Ursula 19-6
Cleveland St Joe 22-3 vs Wadsworth 15-9

Regular season games vs eachother;

NDA beat SUA 22-25,25-14, 25-14, 25-18
NDA beat Wadsworth 25-19, 25-23
St. Joe beat SUA 25-16, 25-23

I think Bozo is correct, Div I is all about SWO this year. If you like high level volleyball those Regional semis at Lakota West this Thursday is the place to be.

In Div II its the other side of the state, 3 NCL schools are still alive and Padua is looking like the favorite to keep the NCL state title streak alive.

Div III may be the most wide open. Got to like Coldwater's chances but there are a couple teams that can bring some different things to the table. Again that Independence defense is scary good and that can keep you in any match.

Sorry but just don't know enough about Div IV. I have seen individual players on the club circuit but that is not the key in the small school Division, this is where all around athletes are needed to help supplement solid club players.

In D IV, the only team I know about is Ashtabula St. John. They beat Windham which is who my niece plays for. They could come out of the Uniontown Region, my pick for that was Mogadore. But who did Beaumont play?

Hoping our Titans can shock the world this week!

Titanettes will probably be favored against Beaumont, they did lose 18 matches this year, so I would not say shock the world. Now beat Lake Catholic on the other hand...

They played Gilmour earlier in the year and lost as well. See thats perfect example play tough non conference schedule, come tournament time you'll be much better because of it. Do you agree with that?

I do agree.

That is what confounds me about schools like Triway. The AD knew this was going to be a good year with a lot of Seniors and club players on the team so why not try and schedule some decent OOC comp? Ashland is nice but wouldn't close by Jackson be nicer? Or if they are a little too big for their britches how about Canton Central Catholic or St. Thomas Aquinas? The open hostility to scheduling privates just doesn't make sense in this sport.

Looking forward to taking in both matches at Stow tonight. Should be a fun weekend at LC with girls soccer and volleyball.

Go Lady Cougars!

LC and Beaumont for a trip to the final four. Should be fun on Saturday.

I really wish they would move volleyball match to 3:00. Girls soccer regional final is at noon. How far is Ravenna to Stow?

I really wish they would move volleyball match to 3:00. Girls soccer regional final is at noon. How far is Ravenna to Stow?

30-40 minutes or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I asked assistant AD if they could petition OHSAA to move VB start time and she said no they wouldn't do it as times are set in advance. She said it's only 20 minutes between the two high schools, but I seriously doubt anyone can get to Stow by 2pm. I wish they'd try to have them move it. Hate for kids to fly to Stow from Ravenna in cars. But what a problem to have!! GO LAKE GO STATE

From Ravenna HS to Stow HS, Google says it's 18 minutes. If you take their directions on Brady Lake Road, there are very few lights and very little traffic.

I would not take State Route 59 because things can get congested when you get to Kent State. May not be so bad on a weekend but there are still alot more lights that way.

Yeah I asked assistant AD if they could petition OHSAA to move VB start time and she said no they wouldn't do it as times are set in advance. She said it's only 20 minutes between the two high schools, but I seriously doubt anyone can get to Stow by 2pm. I wish they'd try to have them move it. Hate for kids to fly to Stow from Ravenna in cars. But what a problem to have!! GO LAKE GO STATE

Well, either way, I will be at both games. Hopefully the soccer game goes quickly.

And Adi is correct the volleyball is set in advance, but the soccer games are not. That was decided on Wednesday, where in my opinion, they should’ve requested the start of the soccer game at 11:00. Football state games start at 11:00 every year.

Can’t forget about XC either as they make their first ever state appearance in school history on Saturday.

Go Cougars!

From Ravenna HS to Stow HS, Google says it's 18 minutes. If you take their directions on Brady Lake Road, there are very few lights and very little traffic.

I would not take State Route 59 because things can get congested when you get to Kent State. May not be so bad on a weekend but there are still alot more lights that way.

Thanks Yappi...not nearly as bad as I thought. Looks like a pretty straight shot.

Good luck to Tallmadge tonight.

D1 Norwalk Regional

St. Ursula beat Notre Dame in 5. Notre Dame seemed to play a little tight as the favorite.
St. Joe beat Wadsworth in 4. Wadsworth played well in stretches, but St. Joe just had too much talent.

St. Joe beat St. Ursula 25-16, 25-23 during a regular season tournament at Perrysburg.

Tusky Valley Dominating

Impressive performance based solely on the points allowed by Tusky Valley in D3 thru the regional semifinal:

Sectionals
6, 8, 5
5, 6, 7

Districts
6, 8, 12
8, 17, 15

Regional
5, 9, 6

123 pts allowed (8.2 per set)

Last edited:
Marlington gave Lake Catholic a tough match and had arguably the best player on the court in their setter, girl was good and had the Lake defense playing on its heels. If the Duchesses didn't play so tight in their 1st match maybe the result would have been different. In the night cap Triway had some impressive pieces but looked like they have never seen a fast moving offense all year. Hate to berate on a point but the lack of tough schedule really showed up as they had the ability but when Beuamont had their big hitters up front the Triway defense melted and looked like they were waiting for the other team to make mistakes, like league foes did, and not standing up to the challenge.

With an all NCL Regional final in Stow it appears that the conference will have again 2 representatives in the final four. Padua should skate in but then again Lexington will be playing on their home court Saturday. How does the OHSAA allow this? It's not like volleyball has the stands stuffed so they could play these games at a lot of different neutral locations and many schools would take them for the $s.

Up the street in Hudson the chalk won but the matches were a lot closer than expected with a pair of 5 setters. Brecksville is down a big hitter with Tupa out for the season but they still have one of the best player in the state in Shannon Williams so they were able to over come a feisty Walsh Jesuit. More surprised that Riverside gave Jackson all they could handle. Unlike Triway they did schedule a tough OOC slate with District champs like Padua, Beaumont, and Independence on it to help prepare for just such matches; Riverside was strong but I never thought they would get by Mentor let alone play tough a state power like Jackson. Kudos to the Beavs for a great season.

In Div III Independence will face their 1st possible test in NCL White team Canton Central Catholic, maybe CCC will win a set but I'm not thinking at this time. The cool thing about Div III is it could have the most balanced final four if Independence, Coldwater, Miami East, and Tusky Valley all end up at Wright State.

Incredible matches last night in SWO. Ursuline took the first two matches from Mason 25-21 and 25-20. Mason came on strong and won the 3rd and 4th sets 25-22 and 25-22. Their front line is tall and strong and gave Ursuline problems. Ursuline came back with a strong 5th set and took the match 15-7. Was really fun to watch two very talented teams. If Mason was a little stronger on defense, not sure Ursuline would have survived.

MND took Mercy in 4 sets. Mercy took set 1 25-23 and MND took the rest 25-19, 25-20, and 25-22. It was hard fought and much closer than the scores indicate. Mercy has an awesome OH and their defense is top notch. Not enough, however, to overcome MNDs awesome outside Natalie Steibel. I'm an MND fan but it was a bittersweet win as this was Mercy's last match ever. The school will close at the end of this year and combine with McAuley. This is a great group of girls, many of whom are underclassmen. Sorry to see this happen to a very strong program.

In Div III Independence will face their 1st possible test in NCL White team Canton Central Catholic, maybe CCC will win a set but I'm not thinking at this time. The cool thing about Div III is it could have the most balanced final four if Independence, Coldwater, Miami East, and Tusky Valley all end up at Wright State.
1. Independence will not be tested. They have athletes at all 6 positions at all times, something Canton CC cannot duplicate or matchup with.

2. Cleveland CC is in the NCL White. Canton CC is an independent.

3. Agreed on the potential final four with the top five (and seven of the top eleven) in the OHSVCA rankings still alive.

Last edited:
Marlington gave Lake Catholic a tough match and had arguably the best player on the court in their setter, girl was good and had the Lake defense playing on its heels.
Some background on her - Zoey Peck (Sr.), headed to Ashland U.

"Following an examination [earlier this year], Peck was diagnosed with scoliosis, a spine deformity when a growth spurt occurs. Peck had growth of approximately 1 ½ inches and an X-ray revealed her spine developed two ‘S’ shaped curves, necessitating surgery," causing her to miss the past JO season.

Taken from http://www.the-review.com/news/20170919/female-athlete-of-week-marlingtons-zoey-peck

1. Independence will not be tested. They have athletes at all 6 positions at all times, something Canton CC cannot duplicate or matchup with.

2. Cleveland CC is in the NCL White. Canton CC is an independent.

3. Agreed on the potential final four with the top five (and seven of the top eleven) in the OHSVCA rankings still alive.

I keep forgetting that Aquinas is NCL and Canton Central Catholic is Indy :dang:

Some background on her - Zoey Peck (Sr.), headed to Ashland U.

"Following an examination [earlier this year], Peck was diagnosed with scoliosis, a spine deformity when a growth spurt occurs. Peck had growth of approximately 1 ½ inches and an X-ray revealed her spine developed two ‘S’ shaped curves, necessitating surgery," causing her to miss the past JO season.

Taken from http://www.the-review.com/news/20170919/female-athlete-of-week-marlingtons-zoey-peck

Her second touches over were strong, it kept Lake Catholic's MBs glued to her hip and made their defense hustle into position a lot quicker than they were use to. I wish her luck at Ashland.

Brusnwick's er I mean Padua's Ella Mihacevich plays a lot like her.