Top five players from your school

Irish60

Another thread talks about the top 10 players from the State of Ohio. It got me thinking about who the top 5 players from some of these schools would be. I'll start off with my 5 for STVM, and, for old times sake, include Central-Hower even though it's shut down.

STVM

LeBron James
Jerome Lane
Curtis Wilson
Romeo Travis
Henry Baddley/Jayvon Graves (I never could figure out who was better!)

Akron Central-Hower

Gus Johnson
Nate Thurmond
Jeremiah Wood
Jimmy Gooden
Larry "Goose" Davidson (maybe the best Akron produced until LBJ)

Last edited:

SEBRING MCKINLEY

Greg Wilson
Ryan Snyder
Joe Braidic
Troy Donaldson
Shawn Jackson

David Scarpitti
Dave Scarpitti Sr.
Greg Van Kirk
Donnie Campbell
Greg Riggar

Athens

Shooting Guard 6'7 Ibi Watson Michigan Basketball
Shooting Guard 6'4 Joe Burrow Ohio State Football
Shooting Guard 6'7 Roger Bentley
Point Guard 5'11 Larry Hunter Ohio University. Like 700 college wins
Small Forward 6'5 Dave Bruning

Another thread talks about the top 10 players from the State of Ohio. It got me thinking about who the top 5 players from some of these schools would be. I'll start off with my 5 for STVM, and, for old times sake, include Central-Hower even though it's shut down.

STVM

LeBron James
Jerome Lane
Curtis Wilson
Romeo Travis
Henry Baddley/Jayvon Graves (I never could figure out who was better!)

Akron Central-Hower

Gus Johnson
Nate Thurmond
Jeremiah Wood
Jimmy Gooden
Larry "Goose" Davidson (maybe the best Akron produced until LBJ)

Grady Mateen didn't crack your Central-Hower Top Five? He was one of the top recruits in the nation, and went to Georgetown...when they were possibly the top program in the nation...before transferring to Ohio State.

Cleveland VASJ
Tony Miller
Stan Kimbrough
David Lighty
Clark Kellogg
Treg Lee

This is a frequent discussion and highly debated issue for our fanbase.

Cleveland VASJ
Tony Miller
Stan Kimbrough
David Lighty
Clark Kellogg
Treg Lee

This is a frequent discussion and highly debated issue for our fanbase.

Eric Riley?

I always liked the story of Kevin Edwards. Not even close to being the best player on his high school team, but blossomed later to have a very nice NBA career.

Springfield
Jody Finney-osu
John Carson- UC
ajamu gaines- charleston
Fred Foster-miami ohio
Fred Carson- Texas
Randy Ayers- miami ohio

Eric Riley?

I always liked the story of Kevin Edwards. Not even close to being the best player on his high school team, but blossomed later to have a very nice NBA career.

Edwards, Eric Riley, Jerome Davis, Pat Lyons, and many others deserve consideration.

Kettering Alter:

Jim Paxson, Jr.
John Paxson
Andy Meyer
Keith Waleskowski
Adam Waleskowski/Marc Molinsky/Jack Zimmerman

Jimmy Jackson OSU, NBA
4 people you've never heard of.
Kelvin Ransey (ok, might have heard of him) OSU, NBA
Wardell Jackson OSU
Cal Christenson UToledo, NBA WAY long ago
Bunk Adams Ohio U

Grady Mateen didn't crack your Central-Hower Top Five? He was one of the top recruits in the nation, and went to Georgetown...when they were possibly the top program in the nation...before transferring to Ohio State.

I was going back and forth between Mateen and Wood. But I watched Wood seemingly single-handedly battle the LeBron teams. Plus, I watched him play a lot at Akron U, so I let sentimentality decide it for me! But Grady was a tremendous player, too.

Brooks Hall
Alex Carmona
Michael Hall
Shane Carter
Matt Terwilleger

All late 90s to mid 2000s. I'm sure I'm missing some old timers.

Toledo St. Johns

Brian Roberts- Dayton/Charlotte Hornets
Shane Komives- Cincinnatti/BGSU
Marc Loving- 2013 Mr. Basketball/OSU
B.J. Raymond- Xavier
John Amaechi- Penn State/NBA

VASJ

Melvin Levitt
Duane Gibson
Derek Pardon
Carlton Bragg
Demonte Flanigan

These are the best in the modern era. Many in Viking Village tell me it's Kellogg and Miller and the other 3 are up for debate.

Hard to imagine anyone bests Canton McKinley:

Gary Grant - Michigan All America Olympics; NBA
Nick Weatherspoon - Illinois All America; NBA
Phil Hubbard - Michigan All America; Olympics; NBA
Eric Snow - Michigan St.; NBA
Keith McLeod - Bowling Green; NBA

Off the bench:

Michael Hawkins - Xavier; NBA
Bryant Bowden - DePaul
Troy Taylor - Ohio St.
Ron Stokes - Ohio St.
Bill Robinson - Ohio St.
Raymar Morgan - Michigan St.
there are so many other really, really good players.

From 1973-2009 - 36 consecutive years - the Pups had at least one alum playing in the NBA. This is the greatest program in Ohio history.

Last edited:
Ignatius...

Dave Demko
Gary Roggenburk
Tim Vala
Matt Roggenburk
Shonn Miller (for success after HS)

Lots of good players in the last 25 years, but hard to point out a top 5.

Kind of difficult one for me. I've only actually seen players from 2000 onward. But I can attempt to throw together a top 5 based on stats/record book.

Sidney

Dewayne McCluskey - 1985-88
T.C. Johnson - 1977-80
Zach Yinger - 2008-11
Terry Harris - 1997-00
Andre Gordon - 2016-Current

I don't think there would be many alums who would disagree with Gordon being in the top 5. He's already 7th in career scoring and 3rd in career assists with two seasons still to go.

VASJ

Melvin Levitt
Duane Gibson
Derek Pardon
Carlton Bragg
Demonte Flanigan

These are the best in the modern era. Many in Viking Village tell me it's Kellogg and Miller and the other 3 are up for debate.

What is the "modern era"?

I've watched a lot of St. Joe's basketball going back into the 60's. In order...

Clark Kellogg (an iconic figure in Ohio basketball)
Stan Kimbrough (unguardable)
Pat Lyons (first team all State...a hero in his time...basketball existed before '80)
Tony Miller (leader...tough guy)
Brian Parker (leader, tough, should have played football...Miller too)

Kind of difficult one for me. I've only actually seen players from 2000 onward. But I can attempt to throw together a top 5 based on stats/record book.

Sidney

Dewayne McCluskey - 1985-88
T.C. Johnson - 1977-80
Zach Yinger - 2008-11
Terry Harris - 1997-00
Andre Gordon - 2016-Current

I don't think there would be many alums who would disagree with Gordon being in the top 5. He's already 7th in career scoring and 3rd in career assists with two seasons still to go.

McCluskey and Gordon are givens. After that it gets fuzzy. Your 5 are good but so many others are right there too. Ron Ivey is one that stands out also. Johnell "J.J." Jelks didn't have the huge numbers but could dominate a game.

VASJ

Melvin Levitt
Duane Gibson
Derek Pardon
Carlton Bragg
Demonte Flanigan

How is David Lighty not on this list? Also Levitt didn't even graduate from St. Joe's.

What is the "modern era"?

I've watched a lot of St. Joe's basketball going back into the 60's. In order...

Clark Kellogg (an iconic figure in Ohio basketball)
Stan Kimbrough (unguardable)
Pat Lyons (first team all State...a hero in his time...basketball existed before '80)
Tony Miller (leader...tough guy)
Brian Parker (leader, tough, should have played football...Miller too)

Miller did play football for a few years! Led the Vikes to their lone state title. Gave it up after that for hoops.

Miller did play football for a few years! Led the Vikes to their lone state title. Gave it up after that for hoops.

I know that Miller played football. I think, going forward, he had the physical specs to excel in football. On the other hand, you can't really criticize someone who chooses basketball over football (and he did well at Marquette). One is a lot of fun; the other, sometimes more like a job.